Canada Serving Canada.

Is it me, or the winter tires...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it me, or the winter tires...

This is my first year with my coupe, I have a set of Hankook Icebear w300 17" tires that are a few years old. Despite the heavy dumpings of snow in Ontario, I haven't had the best traction with these tires. I'm talking about having trouble in the snow with 10cm or less, or somewhat heavy slush on the side streets, or hard packed snow with snow on top that's been driven over a few times. I get stuck, or get little traction at all.

Is it me, or are there better winter tires out there.

Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have Dunlop Graspic D2. Always get pretty good traction.When there is 6 or more inches out I usually add a little weight to the trunk....helps with traction

Old 03-11-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by SmoothieG35
This is my first year with my coupe, I have a set of Hankook Icebear w300 17" tires that are a few years old. Despite the heavy dumpings of snow in Ontario, I haven't had the best traction with these tires. I'm talking about having trouble in the snow with 10cm or less, or somewhat heavy slush on the side streets, or hard packed snow with snow on top that's been driven over a few times. I get stuck, or get little traction at all.

Is it me, or are there better winter tires out there.
how much mileage do you have on those tires? i used my pirelli 210's for 3 seasons on the coupe and found that the tractions got very loose near the end. both my summer and winter tires went fairly quickly on the car due to tire feathering.... but the pirelli's i had did a fantastic job when the tread depth was still good and even.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:04 PM
this is the second season on my toyo snows, and i'm going to change them next winter, at least the rears anyways. they're decent for grip on dry/wet/shallow snow, but with deep stuff you need a fairly heavily lugged tire. probably the best i've used have been goodyear ultragrip ices, good compound, and very effective in deep snow and slush. kept both my previous rwd v8s on the straight and narrow even with a 72-28 weight distribution.

also, remember, all engines make more power in the cold, so makes it even harder to get good traction.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
winter tires require much more tread to be effective than summer tires. this is my 3rd winter on these winters (pirelli 210's) and i will change them next winter.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
some snows have outer & inner layers that are different compounds.
Basically the inner layer supports the outer traction layer.

When the outer layer wears, you're running on the less effective inner layer.

IDK if this applies to the Icebears though.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
The compound can also dry up from being stored over time, therefore losing gripping capacities. I've had this on multiple summer tires, this also applies to winter tires.

Old 03-11-2008, 04:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
+1 to the above on both inner/outer layers design and the rubber being dried up over time

Also, if you want them to be effective in snow, go with Narrower tires.. I know they don't look good, but narrower tires give the contact patch less surface area and thus MORE pressure to dig through the snow for traction

Old 03-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Now you remind me of my last weekend in Waterloo, I was bascially stuck in the hotel parking lot trying to get in/out (snow too deep for my car), I basically had to have VDC off all the time and drift through the lot...

While my partner's Mazda 3 (coworker) cleared everything on the ground with flying colors... even though it only had crappy all seasons while I have dunlop's Winter Sport 3D..

Old 03-12-2008, 09:43 PM
I have Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (second season) and I find this winter to be a quite a challenge driving on snow covered roads, especially unplough side streets after a heavy snow fall (> 15 cm.). These tires are very good when the road are wet or lightly snow covered. When the roads are dry, it grips as well as the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5.
When I replace these winter tires, I'll be looking for winter tires that are good in deep snow. I may go back to Nokian Hakkas which I have been using for over 15 years before the Dunlops. The Hakkas were excellent in deep snow but on ice it is another story.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by jeffy1
I have Dunlop Winter Sport M3 (second season) and I find this winter to be a quite a challenge driving on snow covered roads, especially unplough side streets after a heavy snow fall (> 15 cm.). These tires are very good when the road are wet or lightly snow covered. When the roads are dry, it grips as well as the OEM Goodyear Eagle NCT5.
When I replace these winter tires, I'll be looking for winter tires that are good in deep snow. I may go back to Nokian Hakkas which I have been using for over 15 years before the Dunlops. The Hakkas were excellent in deep snow but on ice it is another story.
Same thing I have noticed too. My tires are in first year though. It definately feels like you have no control on fresh snow. I really got some truck owners pissed of as I have to slowly merged onto highways at 30 km/h after fresh snow; anymore and I am sure the G will spin out.

I thought G35s have also terrible feathering issues and wear? Maybe your tires are just worn out and need to be replaced?

Old 03-15-2008, 05:55 AM
1st winter, stock all seasons, less than 3 months old and 5000miles and I have no issues in the snow whatsoever. Even with the very heavy snow fall I only have some difficulty and loose tranction on the heaviest days.. like past saturday for example. I still managed ot sail thru, but the car was not going totally str8 i had to manouver a bit, but this was back streets reduced to one lane by huge banks on both sides.. main roads no issues.

BUT then again lol i have the AWD and these are new tires....

Didnt everyone recommend Blizzaks? How come I dont see them mentioned here? I guess its also important how you store your tires when not in use. I intend to buy those tire/rim totes which seal it off nice

Last edited by jdanielsg; 03-15-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:40 AM
thats wierd because i changed my winter tires in Dec and we had lot of snow since than. I had no trouble with the snow. I even took out my car when it snowed the most 30cm PLUS and my car was fine. ofcourse i had some trouble but the car got out just fine. I got the tires from my boss who hooked me up with the company discount. got four tires for $400 It also might be i had 6 bags of salt in my trunk.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdanielsg
1st winter, stock all seasons, less than 3 months old and 5000miles and I have no issues in the snow whatsoever. Even with the very heavy snow fall I only have some difficulty and loose tranction on the heaviest days.. like past saturday for example. I still managed ot sail thru, but the car was not going totally str8 i had to manouver a bit, but this was back streets reduced to one lane by huge banks on both sides.. main roads no issues.

BUT then again lol i have the AWD and these are new tires....

Didnt everyone recommend Blizzaks? How come I dont see them mentioned here? I guess its also important how you store your tires when not in use. I intend to buy those tire/rim totes which seal it off nice
They must have changed the tires for '08 since the Goodyear AS hockey pucks that came on my car were absofrickinlutely useless on snow or ice, even from day one. Worst and downright dangerous for stop/steering. Not too awful for straight pulls (AWD FTW!!)

Old 03-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by interalian
They must have changed the tires for '08 since the Goodyear AS hockey pucks that came on my car were absofrickinlutely useless on snow or ice, even from day one. Worst and downright dangerous for stop/steering. Not too awful for straight pulls (AWD FTW!!)
Doesn't surprise me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it me, or the winter tires...