Canada Serving Canada.

Yes, Spring is Coming (I think) Had to get out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile Yes, Spring is Coming (I think) Had to get out

Well it warmed up to -3C today so Karen and I went for a drive not far from our house and a walk in the bush (only a 15 minute drive).

I love our area, except for the whiteouts in winter.

On our way we spotted 2 Bald Eagles and what looked like a Red Tailed Hawk sitting in a grove of trees. I managed to get a pic but they were a long way off and you can barely make them out. I could see them clearly with my binoculars though (Which we always have in the car) Of course we always have our handy little digital camera with us too.

Then we continued on and went down this single lane road that is not plowed in the winter. My poor G was scraping bottom a few times and at one point I thought we were stuck when we went in a huge rut from the 4X4 trucks that have been down the trail.

We spotted 2 wild turkeys in the bush, I never had a chance at their pictures. Then we parked in the bush and went for a walk. We spotted a couple of deer so I managed to snap a few pics before they took off.

We felt bad not taking our dog for the trek in the bush, but she is not up to it anymore, her joints aren't the best.

Here are the Bald Eagles and what I thought was a Red Tailed Hawk, it's a very poor pic since it was so far away and I was on full zoom.

Here are a few pics of the two deer we saw before they saw us and took off.

They spotted us and put up their white flags and took off

Of course got to have a pic of the dirty G. This is once we got out of the heavy snow.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-21-2008 at 01:54 PM.
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Great pics Wayne... I can make out the baldies... can't seem to locate the redtail...

About the turkeys.... (nm)

:edit:
...found him
You guys sure have a great spot there!!!!!

Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for sharing the pics Wayne. Awesome closeups of the deers.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Great Pics Wayne. Good to hear you guys are up and about. Beautiful area round you.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Great pics Wayne. It's great to hear that Karen's knee is doing well enough to go for a walk.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:58 PM
Thanks everyone, it's always a fun time to get out like that.
When the weather gets a bit better, I'm hoping we can arrange a get-together.

Shane, Karens knee is great since the screws and plate were removed, it's actually better than before. The big test is when she gets the major knee surgery in May.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:05 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks for the pics WAYNE.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Must be pretty peaceful living up there. Good way to retire .

Old 03-22-2008, 11:00 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Love the deer pics, Wayne, thanks for posting up.

Old 03-23-2008, 01:21 AM
Great photo's. Glad to hear that you took advantage of the sun and got out to get rid of old man winter's cob webs. You sure the deer didn't take off when they got a glimpse of your shiny G?

Old 03-23-2008, 07:13 AM
Originally Posted by ironring
Great photo's. Glad to hear that you took advantage of the sun and got out to get rid of old man winter's cob webs. You sure the deer didn't take off when they got a glimpse of your shiny G?
Thanks, my poor G has only been rinsed down at the DIY, and she sits outside all year. Still waiting for a good hand washing. This colour is awesome for looking clean, even when it is filthy.
It was funny with the deer, we were out of the car and my wife spotted them. I snuck a bit closer so I could get a shot zoomed in with my digital. They spotted me and I thought they were going to take off, but I managed to take a few quick shots before they took off.

Last edited by GEE35FX; 03-23-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:26 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mmagic76
Thanks for sharing the pics Wayne. Awesome closeups of the deers.
+1......Great pics Wayne.........

Marg and I have spotted some wildlife around here lately: Some deer, fox, 'coons, robins......signs of spring for sure..

Let's hope Mother Nature warms things now and we can get on with a great spring.

C. & M.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
+1......Great pics Wayne.........

Marg and I have spotted some wildlife around here lately: Some deer, fox, 'coons, robins......signs of spring for sure..

Let's hope Mother Nature warms things now and we can get on with a great spring.

C. & M.
Awesome Colin, it is so nice to see wildlife in your area, we are all so fortunate to be able to enjoy things such as that. We have not seen any robins yet. Yours is the first robin report I have heard, an absolutely sure sign we Canucks will see Spring shortly .

I sense there could be a Spring meet just around the corner, at least a mini-meet .
Wayne

Old 03-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Awesome Colin, it is so nice to see wildlife in your area, we are all so fortunate to be able to enjoy things such as that. We have not seen any robins yet. Yours is the first robin report I have heard, an absolutely sure sign we Canucks will see Spring shortly .

I sense there could be a Spring meet just around the corner, at least a mini-meet .
Wayne
Speaking of robins H and I saw two in our backyard a while back. I thought it was about 2-3 weeks ago and swears it was in February. It was very unusual to see them that early in any case. At the time I know we had no snow on the ground.

I think you've inspired us to take a walk in the park about 1.5km from our house. It loops in back of a lake system connected by a canal created a long time ago before rail lines existed to carry goods and people. We sometimes see some wildlife around there.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Cool stuff. Looks like fun! GO 4WD G GO!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Yes, Spring is Coming (I think) Had to get out