Canada Serving Canada.

Edmonton Car Show

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2003 | 05:19 PM
|
Edmonton Car Show

So who's going? gord? telegramsam? coupeman? anyone else?

Red/Canadian

Old 02-28-2003 | 07:20 PM
Re: Edmonton Car Show

Yep, I plan on going in tomorrow morning I think. If not tomorrow then Sunday morning for sure. I hate it when it gets too crowded.

Old 02-28-2003 | 08:20 PM
Administrator

I'm thinking of going tomorrow, early afternoon. What say we meet at the Infiniti display at about 3 pm? EdRed, I'll give you a call later. Coupeman, are you in?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 02-28-2003 | 11:45 PM

Sorry Gord, I already made plans with my dad to go first thing in the morning when it opens. Sorry about that boys. I guess I have managed to miss another opportunity to meet you fellas. No worries though. When the snow melts we'll definately have to have a meet again. Hopefully my coupe will be here by then. Later.......

Old 03-01-2003 | 12:31 AM
Administrator

Well, if you happen to still be there at 3, look for a couple of guys at the Infiniti display giving Warren a hard time. [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img] I believe that EdRed is bringing his fiancee and I'm bringing my son.

Old 03-01-2003 | 03:11 PM

Hey guys, did you guys happen to see the prices on some of the other vehicles there. I can't believe a pontiac bonneville is the same as the coupe. Also the mustang cobra is the same price as well. The chrysler 300M and the cadillacs too. The one that killed me though was that new chrysler pacifica. Their new SUV. $56000 bucks. Are you kidding me. If anyone at work gives me a hard time about paying 50 grand for my coupe I'm gonna snap. There aren't any cars there for less than that in the segment the coupe is in. So let me see. I can either get my coupe or go pick up a Ford, or Chrysler, or GM for the same price. Not much to think about there. The car show just reaffirmed what I already knew. There is nothing on the market that can compete with the G for the same price. God I love this car.

Old 03-01-2003 | 10:01 PM
Administrator

Yeah, the prices of some of the Domestic Autos were surprising. The plastics in the interiors were noticeably 'cheap feeling'. The Pacifica was actually quite impressive. Not a bad deal if they sold it for low to mid $40K, but it's still a Chysler! The two vehicles that caught my eye were actually 2 VWs. I'm interested in taking a Touareg for a drive! I also thought that the Passat seemed a good value for the price.

Old 03-01-2003 | 10:17 PM

Hey Gord, I agree with the VW's. I thought it was kinda funny though the way the prices were this year. All you ever heard for years was that the imports were so expensive and the domestics were the cheaper cars that were cheap to maintain and fix. Yet at this years car show its the imports that had the lower prices and definately way better bang for the buck especially in the fit and finish category.

Old 03-01-2003 | 10:34 PM
Administrator

They always had better fit and finish! I remember in the old days before domestics really started becoming competitive, it was embarassing at times the quality (or lack of) when at these car shows, I couldn't figure out why anyone would pick a comparably priced domestic over an import.
It seems now that the fit/quality standards are almost up to the Korean cars which have also come a long way. To be honest, I'd pick a Hyundai over a comparable GM if I really had to.
BTW, I absolutely LOVE the VW / Audi / Porsche combo remote key/key fobs! Why can't Infiniti do them that way?
Also, BMW and Porsche were conspicuous by their absence. What were they afraid of?[img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-02-2003 | 11:30 AM

Hey Gord, I was a little disappointed that BMW and Porsche weren't there. Although that isn't the first time they haven't shown. I'm not sure why they don't come. I guess they figure they don't have to. Also, I never did notice the VW/Audi/Porsche key fob. What is it that makes it so much better than Infiniti's? Hey Ed, anything catch your eye at the show or was it just same old same old. Talk to ya later guys.
Shane

Old 03-02-2003 | 02:19 PM
|

Well we got Warren to show us everything about the FX35/45....man that keyless sytem and back up camera are so cool.....I also like the Mazda6 but fully loaded is almost $35 G's I'd rather get the Maxima SE for that price. Of course loved the exotic cars....F40, 512, diablo, Murcielago..... I wish Audi had had some of the S series cars there. But other wise wasn't really impressed with much. We did concentrate mostly on the SUV's as we are planning on one for our next vehicle in the next two years. It will probably come down to the FX35 or the Murano though.... maybe the RX300, would've been nice to see the new porsche SUV at the show but I guess they are too stuck up. Oh well.

Red/Canadian

Old 03-02-2003 | 03:09 PM
Administrator

Coupeman:
Last year, I test drove the Porsche Boxter and the Audi TT. Similar keys. I was told yesterday by the Audi guy that VW has the same key.
It's a unit that's about 1 1/2 inches square by about 1/2 inch thick. All the door, etc. buttons are on one face of this thing along with a tiny silver button that when pressed, flips out the key shaft switch-blade style. Very cool and better than a separate remote fob like with the Infiniti.

Old 03-02-2003 | 03:26 PM

I see what you're saying Gord. That is very cool instead of having that big key and then a separate bulging key fob. That would definately be easier to slide into your pocket. I think Mercedes has those too if I remember correctly from Gone in 60 Seconds. Anyways, thanks for the info. Later.

Old 03-02-2003 | 07:05 PM
Administrator

If I remember correctly, the Benz key was quite a bit bulkier.