Canada Serving Canada.

messed up my wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2004 | 05:10 PM
|
messed up my wheels

I went down to a Shell gas station to get a car wash, i've never used the Shell carwash, i always go to Esso.
As i'm pulling up to the thing, i notice i have to drive onto a track that would pull my g35 through the car wash. (normally i'm accustomed to carwashes where i drive the car).

I drive on to the track, everything seems golden. I Go through the car wash and when done i get out of the car to see if the car was properly cleaned.

That's when i noticed that my wheels on the left side were totally messed up! They must have been rubbing and scratching up against the barrier that guides the car through the car wash.

My two wheels are totally scratched up, even some paint pealed off in several places, revealing the wheels true color (which is white for some reason).

The wheels look like a total mess. I spoke to the guy working there, obviously he couldn't do anything about it, and the manager wasn't in because it was Good Friday.

What should i do, should i harass shell? i don't know if they can do anything about it.

I was also dissapointed because I didn't think the G's wheels were painted, i thought they were polished metal.

Should i paint the wheels? Any adivice?

Old 04-11-2004 | 01:20 PM
Re: messed up my wheels

First, what the heck were you thinking in putting your G through an auto car wash!? Must have been a serious relapse in better judgement.

You should always hand wash it. If you don't get any results from Shell, you have to get your rims refinished.

Here's a recommendations:

Precision Rim Repair
118 Rivalda Drive
Downsview, Ontario
Tel. (416) 665-3038

Call for a quote and they usually need to see the rim to assses the total extent of required repairs.

For anyone else even remotely thinking about going through an auto car wash - DON'T DO IT. And if you do, it's at your own risk.

G35 Coupe 6MT Brilliant Silver
Tinted Windows
7 -Wire Hyper Ground System
Hyper Voltage System
Aluminum Pedals
Complete Front-end Clear Bra

Old 04-14-2004 | 03:31 AM

I know you shouldn't goto auto car wash with the 18 oem wheels, many members in this forum has reported damage on their wheels due to auto car wash. I am wondering if you could goto auto car wash with the 17s aftermarket /w winter tires. Will it cause damage to the 17s wheels too? Or just an issue for the 18s OEM. Is it because the 18s OEM's design and size that caused to scratch or because of the stagger setup? Anyone tried auto car wash with their 17s winter wheels yet?

Old 04-14-2004 | 03:42 AM

i go to touchless and never dmg my 17''
i go to esso an sunoco! even canadian tire...

Old 04-15-2004 | 04:33 AM

daaamn...

=================
BLACK G35 Gialla Corsa
=================

Old 04-15-2004 | 04:16 PM

So does anything touches your car at touchless. I don't think I've used them before.

<font color=orange> BS/5 AT/Perf.

Old 04-15-2004 | 04:43 PM

Touchless car wash is a do-it-yourself deal by using a high pressure water gun with soap water to hose off your car. If your car is quite dirty (i.e. accumulated thick film of dirt/dust on the car for a good period of time), then by just using the pressure gun will not clean it properly. I always hesitate to use their soap brush to scrub as I'm afraid their brush fibers may scratch my car. But for hosing off a fairly clean car with mild dust would be okay. Otherwise, I do it the old fashion way.....hand wash it in my driveway with a bucket of soap water, spronge, and some elbow grease.

G35C 6M BS/G
Revved to 6k, looking for 7th gear!

Old 04-15-2004 | 05:55 PM

yes, believe it or not, you can paint them with DupliColor High Performance Wheel Coating in silver (5$ at walmart). it is a perfect match. i touched up my scratched rim 3 months ago and it still looks great. mask off your tires, smooth out and clean the damaged areas, hold can about 8-10 inches away, spray about 3 very light coats, and you're good to go.

Old 04-15-2004 | 11:51 PM

hand wash it in my driveway with a bucket of soap water, spronge, and some elbow grease.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
how you wash your car without power water?
i mean wouldn't you scratch your car with your spronge+dirt?

Old 04-16-2004 | 12:16 AM

Sorry, I forgot to mention the rubber hose to rinse down. Oops...my bad!

BTW, I mispelled "sponge".

I think the wet sponge is soft enough on the car after hosing down the initial dirt. I make sure the sponge is cleaned after each use, as to not trap dirt on for the next use. I always fear the touchless car wash brushes, as I'm never sure the guy beforehand may have left trapped dirt on the bristles. I've only been this paranoid after I bought this particular car.

G35C 6M BS/G
Revved to 6k, looking for 7th gear!

Old 04-16-2004 | 03:27 PM
|

Anyhow, to finish up the story, I harassed shell's insurance company and they're replacing the damaged wheels with new ones.

Old 04-16-2004 | 05:03 PM

Hand washing is great but in winter in Canada, that's not often practical.

I regularly take my car through the Petro Canada car washes and no problems.

Peter

Old 04-19-2004 | 08:03 PM

Peter, with 17s winter wheel?

Old 04-19-2004 | 08:34 PM

Actually, I took the car through car washes often with my 18" wheels before winter ... and again, this week. No problem with either Petro Canada car wash system, but:

1. I cannot vouch for all car wash systems; each gas station uses some different type

2. I may have just been lucky so far.

Peter

Old 04-19-2004 | 11:21 PM
|

In the summer i wash the car by hand but in winter i use touchless car washes. I've never had a problem.
In this case the shell car wash was still a touchless one, however it had a conveyer belt type device that would pull my car through the car wash. It was the conveyer belt that messed up my wheels, not the actual car wash.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: messed up my wheels