Canada Serving Canada.

University pick

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:24 AM
|
First of all, getting a Motorcycle even for just basic campus use is a no-no...damn lol.

Now I'm leaning towards York. It just seems like the practical choice for undergrad. Also, from all the convincing from my parents , friends, and from you guys, it seems like Waterloo really won't fit me that well since it's mainly the type of school for engineering/tech/computers as said above. But, you still never know. ~2 weeks to decide.

Btw. I just realized that I've gained admission to Uni. of Ottawa for Biomedical Science. Anyone go there or know anything about it?

Old 05-11-2008 | 10:28 AM
|
Originally Posted by brownfv
If you are paying for your own fees York seems like a logical choice (scholarship and no residence fees).York does throw out a lot of scholarships though i got one too but i think it was for $4,000.

Have you narrowed it down to either Waterloo or York, or are you still thinking about the others too?

i think i made my decision on the last day..for me it was May 26th i believe. in the end it came down to choosing either U of T or York.
My parents will be covering me for all wherever I go, thankfully. I basically just want to go to an "easy" University for undergrad and then go to a medical school (pref. McMaster). One thing I don't get is that, whenever people ask me "oh what Uni. are you planning on going to next year?" I say "most likely York." then they give me a weird look and ask why. I mean, my cousin went to York and now she's in McMasters med. school doing really well...Why does York have this weird reputation?

Old 05-11-2008 | 12:40 PM
Reputation is for the ignorant.

Grad schools DO NOT judge based on the name of your under-graduate university.

Old 05-11-2008 | 01:27 PM
If you're going into Life Sciences I would say UofT would probably be my first choice, I think they have the most established Life Sciences program. Plus as I'm sure you know, med school is extremely competitive in Ontario so even in the undergrad program, besides grades you're going to have to do extracurricular activities like summer research in labs and I think UofT has the most funding and opportunities to do so. My brother did his undergrad in life sciences at UofT and had a fair bit of extracurricular activities as well as the required GPA for most med schools in Ontario and still did not get in. The funny thing is that Cornell Medical College accepted him which is probably better than any med school in Ontario anyway.

I'm in 4th year Electrical Eng. at Waterloo so I've been here for awhile now and it's a good school, the co-op is really amazing for Engineering, I've already worked at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, RIM, and AMD on my last three co-op terms. A lot of my classmates have gone to California for co-op as well to work for companies like Apple, Broadcom, Nvidia, Qualcomm, etc. You can pm me if you want more details about Rez and stuff but I have no clue how the Life Sciences program is at loo...like others said Waterloo is best known for their Engineering, Computer Science, and Math programs.

Old 05-11-2008 | 03:28 PM
|
Originally Posted by fais
If you're going into Life Sciences I would say UofT would probably be my first choice, I think they have the most established Life Sciences program. Plus as I'm sure you know, med school is extremely competitive in Ontario so even in the undergrad program, besides grades you're going to have to do extracurricular activities like summer research in labs and I think UofT has the most funding and opportunities to do so. My brother did his undergrad in life sciences at UofT and had a fair bit of extracurricular activities as well as the required GPA for most med schools in Ontario and still did not get in. The funny thing is that Cornell Medical College accepted him which is probably better than any med school in Ontario anyway.

I'm in 4th year Electrical Eng. at Waterloo so I've been here for awhile now and it's a good school, the co-op is really amazing for Engineering, I've already worked at Toyota Motor Manufacturing, RIM, and AMD on my last three co-op terms. A lot of my classmates have gone to California for co-op as well to work for companies like Apple, Broadcom, Nvidia, Qualcomm, etc. You can pm me if you want more details about Rez and stuff but I have no clue how the Life Sciences program is at loo...like others said Waterloo is best known for their Engineering, Computer Science, and Math programs.
Thank you for reply! Great info. Faisal. Regarding UFT, I've heard countless stories on how tough it is, and I'll be honest with you, I don't think I'm ready to make that huge leap.

I'm currently volunteering at a hospital every week, and over this summer, or next summer, I'm going to be doing research in a hospital downtown Toronto (Toronto General Hospital I think? I forget). That should look good, not only appealing to Med. Schools, but for personal experience.

btw. PM sent and thanks again.

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:07 PM
|
Hey guys. University starts tomorrow! Pretty excited over here. So, who goes to York around here? I saw quite a handful of G35s over there today. Sadly, I can't get a parking permit since all the good spots are sold out .

Old 09-02-2008 | 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by hullio
I'm currently volunteering at a hospital every week, and over this summer, or next summer, I'm going to be doing research in a hospital downtown Toronto (Toronto General Hospital I think? I forget). That should look good, not only appealing to Med. Schools, but for personal experience.

btw. PM sent and thanks again.

I went to UofT and the undergrad programs are hard (at least harder than what my friends who went to other schools said). The difference at UofT is the resources. Our libraries, lab facilities, and corporate relationships are unparalleled in Canada (IMHO). If you want to do a meaningful internship at TG (not just candy-striping), UofT is the place to be, since there are so many programs with affiliations with UofT. You should also look into MaRS. This is an incubation center run by the hospitals and universities, and from what I have seen, most of the internships there go to UofT. Having a tough undergrad is not a bad thing. It'll get you set up for the life of med school (my ex did med school at Mac, and it wasn't a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination).

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:38 PM
I went to humber college, partied hard and lucked out in life and banged an awesome job... but I did date 2 solid broads that went to York (hope neither of them was your daughter gee35x!)<--kidding.... but IMO go to York, the broads are hot, it's close to your house, you don't have to live there, and the money you save from living on res pays for the beers and car mods. The level of education is from those is pretty even (just don't go to Brock or Lakehead)
Otherwise, enjoy your school experience, I miss mine.

Old 09-02-2008 | 10:43 PM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
I went to humber college, partied hard and lucked out in life and banged an awesome job... but I did date 2 solid broads that went to York (hope neither of them was your daughter gee35x!)<--kidding.... but IMO go to York, the broads are hot, it's close to your house, you don't have to live there, and the money you save from living on res pays for the beers and car mods. The level of education is from those is pretty even (just don't go to Brock or Lakehead)
Otherwise, enjoy your school experience, I miss mine.
LOL , no problem, she went to Waterloo then UBC. She didn't go to York.

Old 09-02-2008 | 11:38 PM
Hey guys. University starts tomorrow! Pretty excited over here. So, who goes to York around here? I saw quite a handful of G35s over there today. Sadly, I can't get a parking permit since all the good spots are sold out .
i go to york...going into my 2nd year. i have a spot in the york lanes outer reserved lot, but i do have my name on the waiting list for the parking garage (york lanes and arboretum parking garages).

Old 09-03-2008 | 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by johnnyzee
level of education is from those is pretty even (just don't go to Brock or Lakehead)
Ignorance city.

Old 09-03-2008 | 09:15 AM
|
well im in math class right now lets see how it goes lol

Old 09-03-2008 | 04:48 PM
McMaster has an excellent medical school. I went there, its a great school (didn't go for life sci, but for the b.eng).

Old 09-03-2008 | 06:29 PM
...I basically just want to go to an "easy" University for undergrad and then go to a medical school (pref. McMaster)...
is that the best plan? by going to an "easy" undergrad you may be artificially qualified as far as a GPA goes. The med school entrance exam (MSAT?) may weed out the weak, but not challenging yourself in undergrad may set you up for failure if you get to Med school. just a thought...

Old 09-03-2008 | 07:23 PM
|
Originally Posted by canucklehead
is that the best plan? by going to an "easy" undergrad you may be artificially qualified as far as a GPA goes. The med school entrance exam (MSAT?) may weed out the weak, but not challenging yourself in undergrad may set you up for failure if you get to Med school. just a thought...
Poor thought on my part back when I first created this thread. Of course I want to challenge myself and I know I'm capable of overcoming whatever the future has in store for me now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: University pick