Canada Serving Canada.

Went to the track for the first time with Drag Radials

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 03:14 AM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Went to the track for the first time with Drag Radials

I was launching at around 3000rpm and still getting some bog so I stepped it up to 3500rpm and BANG nothing. I ended up twisting off the left axle. Now I am not sure if I get beefier axles and break something else or get another stocker and take it easy on the launches. I also bought sway bars yesterday they look great in my empty garage. Opinions on what I should do about axles please. Throw some sympathy my way too please.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow 3000-3500 doesn't seem like it would twist axles off but then I'm not TT either... That sucks though. Go for beefed up axles!

Old 06-14-2008, 05:07 AM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Stronger axles for sure

Old 06-14-2008, 09:59 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Broken axel? .......OUCH!!!
That really sucks;
Has that been happening to others? ....sounds unusual.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Wow, Gord, sorry to hear you broke the coupe. I clicked on this thread hoping to see new times in the low 12s. I'm guessing you won't be happy until you have stronger axles and can get the most out of your TT. But you're right, there will always be a weakest link.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:19 AM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Driver side rear is typical to snap, rotational inertia.

Were you getting any wheel hop?

Old 06-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by rookie
Driver side rear is typical to snap, rotational inertia.

Were you getting any wheel hop?
Some wheel hop. It was the driver side but the other side of the CV boot. If you beef the axles what goes next...diff or tranny?

Old 06-14-2008, 01:17 PM
Former G35driver Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not sure if they have changed it of not but not all of the drive shaft shop axles upgraded the cv assembly.

The diff hanger bolt being biased to one side sucks. I blew out the driver side rear shock from the rear end squatting. (Shorter DRs). Non rebounding shock doesn't help planting the tire.

I would get another oem axle and play with suspension, air pressure, and launch technique before upgrading the axles.

What have your 60' times been?

Old 06-14-2008, 04:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
I was launching at around 3000rpm and still getting some bog so I stepped it up to 3500rpm and BANG nothing. I ended up twisting off the left axle. Now I am not sure if I get beefier axles and break something else or get another stocker and take it easy on the launches. I also bought sway bars yesterday they look great in my empty garage. Opinions on what I should do about axles please. Throw some sympathy my way too please.

Sorry to hear that she broke, Gord...Is it possible that you rolled slightly in staging b4 going thereby having a little driveline freeplay on launch???? or do you think it may have been a weak halfshaft?

Maybe with that much power/torque/TT etc, it needs upgrading
With the drag radials on you won't get much give from tires.

Sorry to hear of the breakage but I guess you're prepared for some 'incidents' like this.
Kudos for going to the track and trying, tho....and here's a group hug to console you over the coupe's booboo....

C.

Old 06-15-2008, 01:56 AM
Originally Posted by rookie
Not sure if they have changed it of not but not all of the drive shaft shop axles upgraded the cv assembly.

The diff hanger bolt being biased to one side sucks. I blew out the driver side rear shock from the rear end squatting. (Shorter DRs). Non rebounding shock doesn't help planting the tire.

I would get another oem axle and play with suspension, air pressure, and launch technique before upgrading the axles.

What have your 60' times been?
I didnt get many runs before the breakage my 60' with DR were no better than with out. I ranged from 2.05-2.2sec on DRs my best on street tires was 2.09sec. I also added a Nismo super copper mix twin plate clutch and Bilstien coilovers (set to soft) since my last trip to the track. It sucks breaking at the track but I was not supprised I knew the axles were the weak point. I was even debating getting OEM replacments and cryo treating them to help a bit as I do have more power planned in the very near future! Thanks for the advice Rookie its nice to get some feed back from a guys that have been in the same situation.

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 06-15-2008 at 02:17 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Sorry to hear that she broke, Gord...Is it possible that you rolled slightly in staging b4 going thereby having a little driveline freeplay on launch???? or do you think it may have been a weak halfshaft?

Maybe with that much power/torque/TT etc, it needs upgrading
With the drag radials on you won't get much give from tires.

Sorry to hear of the breakage but I guess you're prepared for some 'incidents' like this.
Kudos for going to the track and trying, tho....and here's a group hug to console you over the coupe's booboo....

C.
Thanks for the sympathy Collin. I think I have about 375ft/lbs of torque to the wheels so I thought the possibility of breaking the axles was there I just hoped it wouldnt happen. It opened my eyes a bit, making me think about where I am headed with the car as this is the only down time I have had with the car since going TT and the car still has the OEM street manners. I feel if I keep upgrading (more boost, meth injection ect ect planned for the end of summer) I may be starting to sacrifice some of the drivability and reliability I enjoy at this point.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sucks to hear man this is my biggest fear at the track!! 3500 i guess is not the money rpm. I am going to race city this friday so i hope not to have a similar fate. Let me know how things work out

Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 AM
Let us know how you make out Luke. If I can get an axle during the week and find the time to put it in (if I find the axle I WILL find time to put it in) I may come down to Race City and give it another go!

Last edited by Sylvan lake V35; 06-15-2008 at 03:26 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:02 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Good luck with your search, Sylvan.....and install..Wish I were closer -- I'd love to see those runs.....

Sinister, have you got OEM axles or have you had similar breakage and gone to stronger units? I notice that you're putting down even more ponies and torque to the ground.

Good luck to both of you-- Lay down some good #'s--lol you guys certainly have the power to do so.......

Post up with results. We'd all love to hear about it.

Colin

Last edited by Msedanman; 06-15-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Sinister350GT
sucks to hear man this is my biggest fear at the track!! 3500 i guess is not the money rpm. I am going to race city this friday so i hope not to have a similar fate. Let me know how things work out
Luke if you're definitely hitting RC Friday post up or PM me, I'd enjoy coming out to watch you run.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Went to the track for the first time with Drag Radials