Canada Serving Canada.

Toronto - Personal Vehicle Tax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2008 | 08:39 AM
|
Originally Posted by stclairwest
ya not expensive but for the price of a used g u can go buy alot of BRAND NEW cars. if ur not ready for all these taxes toronto puts out u should just change ur address outside of toronto it would save u more money
doesn't matter.. look around u. mississauga is jacking up their property values. a colleague at work just got a letter from mpac and it shows a 31% increase, which equates to higher taxes... he almost crapped his pants. this isn't just a city of toronto problem. it has become the norm in ontario to screw u as much as possible.... with toronto being the forefront leader on how to do it right.

yeah... 60$ isn't really much over a year... but once u start adding up all these little surprise extra's the province keeps adding on everything every year it starts to add up. it's people's attitudes such as yours that makes it so easy for politicians at every level to screw the average joe. i find it hilarious that a 60$ tax on a 74$ ticket item seems like a joke to u. can u imagine an 80% tax on all your shopping goods? that is basically what my gripe was.

looks like u live on st. clair avenue... how are u liking those new street car lanes?? another bright idea from the city of toronto. comes in real handy when there is an emergency and firetrucks, police, emt, etc... can't even get through due to the limited access of one lane. not to mention the wonders it has done on traffic regarding that street and the adjoining roads.

Old 10-16-2008 | 09:39 PM
but its not as bad as the ticket u get for driving without a sticker. my friend got one the other day, forgot the documentation at work(has 2 cars). ticket was $85 and $110 if its late. so he won't have to pay a dime, but still getting a ticket for not having a sticker is pretty steep. cost for one ticket more then a yr's worth of a sticker. I would have imagined it would be like a $40 ticket.

Old 10-17-2008 | 07:18 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
One is a fine for breaking the law and one is tax on a service. While some may may consider the fine a lot it's not the same thing.

Old 10-17-2008 | 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
One is a fine for breaking the law and one is tax on a service. While some may may consider the fine a lot it's not the same thing.
I completly agree with you. I was just saying that in comparison the fine is quite steep. Yes the tax should not have gone up, but it's still cheaper then getting one ticket for not having a sticker.

Old 10-17-2008 | 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by shilohap
The joy of living in Northern Ontario. Plate sticker $37.50 a year.
Just get yourself a post-office box outside TO and register your car to that address.

...and stop voting Liberal! They're the idiots who keep adding new taxes each time they get in office (federally and provincially)!