Canada Serving Canada.

Snow Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2002, 04:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Snow Tire

Gabman.. when it comes to winter tires I have very high expectations.. so my opinion's are abit tough ...

I have always in the past downsized from 17>16 or 16 >15 and even one year went from 17 to 15 with my maxse2000.

This is by far the worst downsized winter tire that i have had for dry and wet handling... * I have had 11 new sets of winter tires since 1985.

To answer why i changed my Oberserve GO2 plus tires (after 2 days) is that :

My first trip was on dry and as previously stated.. the tires are soft and that is acceptable to get good winter performance...
I had not experienced lateral movement when changing lanes at slow speeds but at moderate to fast movements the car started feeling like my fathers old 1979 pontiac parisienne* but that is somewhat expected with Q rated tires..(observes are T rated but really feel like Q )..

Yesterday morning it rained hard here in Montreal... and I had a 120 km trip ... During this 1.2 hour period.. my SLIP light came on at least 3 times at approx 70-100km/h when i hit the gas to pass or accelerate !!! It never happened with my Turanza's or the Eagle GSA's ... Actually my slip light had never showed its face in normal day to day driving before...

This car is too fun to drive !!! and I had lost ALLOT of that Fun.. Winter is Winter.. but i dont want to feel like i am driving a buick ( this is of course my opinion)..

So i called up the store/dealer and he said no problem just bring them back..mags and all !! and we shall upgrade you ...

I purchased Toyo Garet HT's in 17 inch ( they where my first choice but i wanted to save some money and get 16's .. also Gsdemann here posted some good data on 16's with the G35 sedan...so that is why i purchased the Observe Go2plus'es.

So that is why..

The Garet HT's cost me 250$ each installed before tax.

I will follow up with my view on them.. for now the short ride home.. was excellent.. much much quieter...

Old 11-16-2002, 06:07 PM

Makes sense, I also looked at the 17", but after speaking with alot of so called tire experts, they all said I would be better of with 16" for winter.

I am just wondering if you had 16" tires inflated to right PSI.
I drove back to MTL from Ottawa last weekend in a real downpour. Made it back in 75 mins, was averaging around 150kms/hr and I was pretty impressed with the Toyo's.

Anyways, let me know how the 17" are after tomorrows snow and freezing rain. One good thing about Toyo's, you have 60 days to return them if you don't like them. Mind you I doubt Nissan would take back the wheels lol.

Old 11-16-2002, 06:17 PM

Gabman... the :tire experts told me the same thing... to go 16 and not too wide ...

so now i have 17 at 225!!! I will let you know..

Old 11-16-2002, 06:19 PM

LOL. would that have happened to be "H" at Talon?

Old 11-17-2002, 03:19 AM

Hey gordgee,
I'm here in edmonton too and my car is getting in next week. I was looking for snow tires as well and was wondering if you could give me a heads up on where you got yours.

Red/Canadian

Old 11-17-2002, 03:28 PM

My Nissan/Infiniti dealer has very good pricing on Yokohoma tires. but is high in all other brands.

My Toyo's Garit HT's would have cost me approx 100$ more at the Dealer..

Canadian Tire tires should be average quality.. (rebranded Michelin's/Bridgstones/Uniroyal etc..).

Yokohama Guardex 720 (Nissan canada sells allot of these)
They are good/average in snow.. but not so good on ice...and they are abit noisy.. but very acceptable..

My Garit HT's are excellent but very expensive at 250$ per tire before tax. 225/50/17's

Somehow i can't see anyone being happy with Canadian tire tires on a 260hp rear wheel drive vehicle.. especially on ICE..

Just my opinion..

Old 11-17-2002, 03:47 PM

Gabman i posted my first experience with the Garet HT's in the weels section...

Great Sunday wheather A!!.. We got between 8 and 30 cm here in the west end..

I love my Garet HT's and FYI it was Lazer Auto that sold them to me.. on Henri Bourassa.. (they are great )..

Old 11-17-2002, 05:17 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

EdRedS:
I got my 225/60-16 Blizzak LM-18s at The Tire Warehouse on the southside. I have a good relationship with all the guys there including the owner Wayne. I called Sears the other day to price some WS-50s for my dad, and the funny thing is, the guy I talked to told me to go to Tire Warehouse for better availability and pricing.

Old 11-17-2002, 08:40 PM

Thanks gordgee,
I'll give them a call this week to see how much they are. I was thinking of seeing how the stock all seasons perform for this winter but I need a backup if that doesn't work out. Did that price (i think you said around $800/set) include rims as well or just the tires?

Red/Canadian

Old 11-17-2002, 09:04 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Actually, cost will be $160 - $180 per tire (not sure, I get a deal).[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-18-2002, 06:43 AM

Youngcanuck

How do you like the white stuff? 8" down already. Ileft for work early this morning, streets have not been cleaned, little traffic,
put my G to the test. I want to tell you, this car is better in snow than my Isuzu Trooper was. Alot has been said on these formums about traction control/VDC. All I can say is that this car holds the line, no fish tailing. Whatever cars were on the road this morning, were left spinning their wheels at each light while I was way down the road.

One question for you. When I disengage the VDC Button, the slip light still comes on and I can hear the noise that traction traction control makes when it kicks in. I thought the traction control on/off worked with the same VDC button? Am I missing something?

The Toyo's G02 were surprisingly good in the snow. I agree that the handling is not the best on dry pavement, but the car holds the road well at high speeds with these tires.

I also got mine at Lazer, they are a great shop to deal with.

catch you later, don't think I will be doing much work today.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gabman on 11/18/02 04:50 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-18-2002, 09:17 AM

Hey man,
For my G35-m6 with 18' wheels, I don't think there is a lot of possibility... My dealer proposed me four Blizzak 225-45-18 for 1150$ (taxes and balance included): is it a good deal?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Tire