Canada Serving Canada.

Snow Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 11:41 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Snow Tire

Sorry to post so late RM, I didn't check this forum for a while. To answer your question about the snows: I've just bought Blizzaks (WS50's) from my local dealer on rims, balanced etc. , with Altima caps, for $1032. incl. tax, - 215/60/16 the diameter is within 1% of my 215/55/17 stock wheels. The deal was good and I didn't have a choise of tires. Now that I've had them on for a while I find them a little lacking on the dry pavement- which, even in Ontario winters, constitutes most of our driving. No doubt on the snow and ice they're one of the best and certainly justifies having them, but they severely curtail any performance driving. Incidently I have them all 'round Hence the price. So even cornering is a bit 'dodgy' - excessive plowing. I guess it just means no more spirited driving until Springtime BOO. What I had intended to buy were the LM22's which are a little less snow/ice dedicated in favour of a little more performance.
Let me know how you made out. I'd be interested in what you bought and how they perform.
Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan (in Ontario)

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 11/10/02 08:44 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-10-2002, 01:08 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We Edmontonians now have a couple of inches of snow on the ground. I've been running 225/60-16 Blizzak LM-18s and am VERY happy with them. A lot of cars were spinning when my 'Slip' light was hardly on. I've been driving for the last 2 days with VDC off to see how they do and am impressed. The snow and ice performance seems to be better than the 215/60-16 Dunlop Graspics I had on my old Supra, but I haven't had the LM-18s in deep snow yet. Definitely a good way to go if you don't want to compromise dry road performance. Can hardly feel the difference between them and an A-S 60 series tire on dry/wet roads.

Old 11-10-2002, 03:08 PM
O.F. Administrator

gordgee, some snow already eh? Here we've only had a 'sniff' in southern Ont. That'll change soon. You say you're running LM18's ? Is that all 'round or just rear? How do they compare to LM22's? Price? My WS50's were $180./ on sale which I thought wasn't bad. But unless you're on snow or ice all the time, not necessary. Oh well, live and learn. Later
Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan

Old 11-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Full set of four, I would never run just two-throws off the handling and too much chance for 'end swappies'. [img]/w3timages/icons/blush.gif[/img]
The LM-22s and the LM-18s are comparable H-rated Blizzaks and they share the same brochure. Biggest difference is in the sizing. The LM-18s are highly rated in Europe and not available in the States. The brochure says that they also have a "newly designed 'honeycomb' siping...to enhance the gripping edges capable of biting into slippery surfaces without sacrificing block stiffness". Costwise, in the same size as the WS-50, price is 0-$25 more. Some say that because of the H compound, they may wear a little better. Info on the bridgestone.ca site.

Old 11-10-2002, 06:38 PM
O.F. Administrator

Thanks for the info. The more I read about guys experinces in the snow the happier I am with what I have. I think the next time tho, I'll get the less aggressive LM tires. Later
Gsedanman-Garnet Fire Sedan

Old 11-10-2002, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Actually, the LMs are more aggressive, maybe just not as good as the WSs on snow and ice.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]
They may be the same or better than other brands though, based on my memory of the Graspics which are highly rated by the current Consumer Report.

Old 11-12-2002, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Sounds good. The only previous winter Pirelli (190s) were good on snow and in dry, but lacking on ice traction. Hopefully this has improved. They had very good wear however. Keep us updated.

Old 11-12-2002, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My witner performance 210's "this goes back 4 years".. were excellent on dry and wet roads.. but were very scarry on ICE and slush... I lived in Atlantic Canada and drove from New Brunswick to Nova Scotia allot.. lots of slush..

I hope that they improved for Icy situations..

Please keep us posted with your feedback on them...

I will do the same with my new Toyo Oberserve G02plus... they are new for this year.. And I don't have any personal experience with them at all..

Thanks..

Old 11-14-2002, 11:28 PM

Well i tried my Toyo's Observe G02 plus'es for the first time today... Here is some dry data.

Very quiet tires below 120km/h.
they are not hard enough for spirited driving.. T rated but feel like they are Q rated !!

So in one word.. they are not fun to drive on dry roads...

I will follow up with some snow and ice results when they hit us here in the next few weeks.

regards.

Old 11-15-2002, 01:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey youngcanuck,

How much did you pay for those tires? The spec of your Toyo is 225-60-16 right?

Thanks.

G35: Black with Willow/Canadian Premium Package.
Z3: Silver with Red leather interior.

Old 11-15-2002, 04:28 PM

I paid 1300$ for mags and tires balanced installed with all taxes..in 16 inch.. they are not 225's.

But i am returning them back to the dealer twomorrow morning.. ..I will explain in a post later..

Old 11-15-2002, 05:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for the info. I assume you got the 17 inches, which could be a lot more expensive then the 16 inches tires that I want.

Cheers

G35: Black with Willow/Canadian Premium Package.
Z3: Silver with Red leather interior.

Old 11-16-2002, 09:59 AM

YoungCanuck
Am interested as to why you were returning Toyo Observe GO2.
I put a set on my G35 Sedan last weekend along with Nissan steel wheels. Have only driven on dry and wet pavement so far, but we are expecting a few inches of snow tomorrow so I will get to see how they perform in snow.

There is no question the car does not handle as well as with the 17" Turanza's, am finding that car is not as fast but they are winter tires.

I got 215 x 60 x 16.

Anyone buying winters, suggest that you go with nissan wheels and not a universal type. I paid $139.00/Tire and $70.00 for wheels and $35.00 for a set of wheel covers.

Make sure that with whatever tire you go with that you tell the store that they are for a Rear Wheel Drive car. Had alot of people trying to sell me tires that are not designed for real wheel cars.

My dealer was pushing the Michelin Alpin's at a cost of $1050.00 for same package that I got for $880.00, with the Toyo's.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Tire