Canada Serving Canada.

Snow Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2002, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Snow Tire

One thing that I can't find out from Tire Rack is the Canadian Pricing for the tires. I called up Superior Tire yesterday for the price of TOYO's Obersve G02-plus, was told the list price was $240+ and they sell it for $157.50. I immediately told him that I KNOW people ( thanks for the info from youngcanuck and gabman) were getting it for $135 each and after putting me on hold for 2 mins, I was told that they can match the price. Now I don't know about you guys, I just don't have that much time nor energy to call different places on different brands of tires, just to get an idea on what each of those tires really cost here in Canada. Do you guys know any good websites that are similar to Tire Rack where they actually provide a ball park figure for the tires in Canadian Dollar? I found this site http://www.1010tires.com that actually have canadian pricing for most brands of tires including TOYO!! And their price seem to be just about $10-$20 more then the best price one can get based on the experience I had with the TOYO Observe G02-plus ( Best price I can get is $135, listed price on 1010tires is $146, all in Cdn). If you have already bought the tires, can you verify if my assumption on this price estimation from that site is close enough?

Just wondering about one other tire that NOBODY seems to be considering: The Firestone's WinterFire. It's a T rated tire in 215-60-16 config, and from the Review and Survey results on Tire Rack, it seems to be a better then average winter tire, and it falls into the Winter Premium category, especially for its price ( listed as CDN$106 on 1010tires, which I assume that we can actually get for around $90-95). Did anyone actually consider buying them? How do I know if the WinterFire or any other tire fit for a rear drive vehicle like the G? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

G35: Black with Willow/Canadian Premium Package.
Z3: Silver with Red leather interior.

Old 11-19-2002, 07:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stalker.. Call Toyo Canada and get some distributor phone numbers that are close to you..

Lazer auto here in montreal had very good pricing for the G02pluses.. but for my Garet HT's... they where identical to a few shops..

I like to purchase from a place that knows me.. in case i have trouble in the future.. they should be there to help me out... ( as they did when i decided to change from GO2 to Garit HT) 1.2 days later.

My opinion on Winterfire tires is that it looks like it was designed for small trucks..Great shoulder design. and i think you can studd them !!....but in general I don't like the thread design .. Perhaps they are great !! someone needs to try them on a rear wheel drive and give us some feedback..

Old 11-19-2002, 08:56 PM

Gabman.. I had a TrooperLS 1996 and it was fantastic on snow but terrible on ice... My last 3 days with the G.. have made me go from Wow !! to oupps.. this is really a rear wheel drive car and it does not like hills with ice...

I tried getting in to my garage this morning (it has a small incline and had large erea's of ice... I was spinning like a madman.. VDC or no VDC... i could not get up this small incline!!! The G needs more weight in the trunk to help it ....

I was driving yesterday to the Montreal Childrens hospital on atwater the street was not plowed.. and had a small incline as well... I just just just barely managed to make it!!!

My Garit tires are excellent on compacted snow.. and yes the G can holds its line.. but my experience now in deep snow and pure ice/with incline.. FORGET IT !!! it sucks..
Perhaps after installing some sand bags in the trunk ... I will see a positive difference..

regards.

youngcanuck

Old 11-29-2002, 08:38 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just had a set of Blizzacks ws-50's installed this morning. I've noticed that the ride is a little firmer but not too much difference from the summer set up. I went down one size in
diameter(to 16"). 215-60H-16 is the size. Paid just over a grand for installation and steel rims. I'm not planning on racing anyone in the snow so a slightly heavier rim is not going to make a big difference to me.
Don't go much wider than stock, in fact try to go narrower for
better performance in the snow. Look at the professonal rally cars and the thin tires they use!!
I purchaced mine from Redline Automotive (Sheppard+McCowan Rd, Scarb). Good people to deal with,
but still shop around for the best price you can get!!!
Good Luck

35BILLS
2003 G35 Twilight Blue
Prem, aero pkg

Old 12-03-2002, 04:40 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey 35bills, I happened to have the same winter wheels and tire settup on my G-Sedan (till I sold them) that you have: Nissan steel wheels with WS-50's. Before I mounted them I was interested in the weight diff. To my surprise the winter wheel and tire was 5lbs. lighter than stock 17's so that was a plus. I found they liked 30psi all around for best dry and wet handling. They deffinitely didn't like 35psi.
Thought you'd like to know.
Gsedanman- Garnet Fire Sedan('till Jan)

Old 12-06-2002, 11:28 PM

Well I guess great minds think alike. I'm getting the WS-50's on Altima steel rims next week or so. Don't need them yet but kinda hoping for snow for christmas.

Red/Canadian

Old 02-15-2003, 12:23 PM

Infiniti really screwed up with their specs for winter tires on G35C with Brembos and 18" wheels-nothing in stock anywhere when my car arrived. Went to extra set of 17"s. Dealers try to mark up anything they have to extract last dollar out of the deal-I'd rather visit an allnight proctologist. Try Talon Tire in Montreal (www.talontire.com). Dealer claimed he can't get tires and wheels as cheaply as they are selling them-but I don't entirely believe him but think their prices are pretty close to dealer cost.