Canada Serving Canada.

winter storage and insurance stand-by

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 12:32 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
winter storage and insurance stand-by

hi guys.I have put my G in storage as of today. I am not intending to drive it probably till march april i guess.
as this is my first car and i suck big time when it comes to car insurance i have couple of questions.

1- is it possible to freeze your insurance during winter months,

2-if yes do you still pay significant some or almost no difference (insurance companies are sneaky)

3-if no is there any other options

4-and how about freezing the license plate as well since we are paying yearly fees on it.(i dunno just speculating)

my insurance info:

belairdirect zero deductible two way coverage i am paying 288 per month. I need help big time, thanks once again!

musti

Old 11-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just called mine took off collision and left fire theft and vandilisim on mine during the winter. I don't think u can do anything about the plates.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by red35
I just called mine took off collision and left fire theft and vandilisim on mine during the winter. I don't think u can do anything about the plates.
do you know how much you are going to pay? before and after (and which company if u do not mind)

Old 11-20-2008, 09:28 AM
just another update: i called belaiardirect. they tell me im not going to pay anyhting at all during the freezing period and my vandalism and theft protection is on. but they do not tell me exactly what would my premiums be after i take off the freeze and reactivate my insurance again. since my first year insurance is coming to renewal on march 30 , i dont want to get screwed by them!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:34 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^that doesn't seem to make sense since no company will not charge you while you have some coverage. You need to have more specific info. on payments, total costs etc.

I stopped changing mine years ago since I periodically want to be able to take the car out in the winter.

There is no way to 'freeze" your registration.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't know your location, but in BC you can buy a "storage" policy - fire, theft, vandalism, 3rd party. this is usually very economical. 6 months was less then $50.

i did this quite often when i was working out of town for long periods of time. there was no charge to switch back and forth to full coverage. RBull is correct about registration: that must remain otherwise it can not be insured.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:23 AM
that's the thing they say at the end of the month they will charge me 24 dollars only this month.but they say during the term i am not going to be charged during the freezing term.

my concern is. when i re-activate my insurance lets say on april , whats going to happen with my premiums and when my renewal is coming would this freezing affects it?

i know i am asking a lot but i do not trust a word of insurance companies. Since they did not even give me an estimate of my next premiums as soon as i re-activate the insurance.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
prob the difference you paid will be enough to offset the cost of taking collision and liability off your coverage. Instead of refunding you, they'll take the excess $ and put it towards comprehensive coverage. Most companies require you to pay 2 months premium in advance (assuming you are on a monthly billing).

this will not affect your policy in the spring.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
I do just fire, theft & vandalism over the winter it does not affect my cost in the spring/summer. Off hand I could not tell you the cost difference though. I would talk more with your insurance provider they should be able to give you more info.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by musti82
that's the thing they say at the end of the month they will charge me 24 dollars only this month.but they say during the term i am not going to be charged during the freezing term.

my concern is. when i re-activate my insurance lets say on april , whats going to happen with my premiums and when my renewal is coming would this freezing affects it?

i know i am asking a lot but i do not trust a word of insurance companies. Since they did not even give me an estimate of my next premiums as soon as i re-activate the insurance.

The reason you are not charged for the rest of the month is because when you get your insurance it was quoted for 1 year. Hence your monthly payments was determined by 12 months. If you stop it it means they will have to readjust that payment to reflect that and they will subtract it. Sometimes you get a check for the difference other time you don't have to pay a thing. Hope this makes sense. And no you will not get screw for renewal. as long as you stay with your same insurance.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:44 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
hi guys.I have put my G in storage as of today. I am not intending to drive it probably till march april i guess.
as this is my first car and i suck big time when it comes to car insurance i have couple of questions.

1- is it possible to freeze your insurance during winter months,

2-if yes do you still pay significant some or almost no difference (insurance companies are sneaky)

3-if no is there any other options

4-and how about freezing the license plate as well since we are paying yearly fees on it.(i dunno just speculating)

my insurance info:

belairdirect zero deductible two way coverage i am paying 288 per month. I need help big time, thanks once again!

musti
You need a suspension of coverage form to fill out to suspend coverage except Fire and Theft for the winter months.
On mine, it's a substantial decrease for that minimum coverage.

Plates cannot be "frozen" for a period. Only turned in and re-issued. Don't bother.

C.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:38 PM
once again thank you so much for all your help. I am going to suspend it asap. I am moving to a nicer neighborhood on january so im paying more rent , since banks dont pay us a lot, i need to save some during winter to recover.
p.s: people in my bank gets pissy that i drive a g35. they think this car is 50-70k
Since i still have my theft and vandalism protection on, im saving more than 1,000 bucks during winter.

how many months do u guys usually suspend?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:01 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

how many months do u guys usually suspend?
Mine usually from November to about March or early April.

C.