Canada Serving Canada.

TPMS cap seized?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Glad to hear you got them off. You can buy some anti seize at CT. It's in the auto section and comes in a small round grey bottle. I use it on my wheel lugs, wheel centers and wheel/hub contact areas. Works extremely well.
^ +1
Use it the same way.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I heard from some Nissan Techs a while back that using some aftermarket caps may cause problems or failures of the pressure sensors. If I remember, some of the aftermarket dressup caps don't seal well (no rubber gasket?) and allow damaging moisture into the sensor.

Old 11-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Gordgee
I heard from some Nissan Techs a while back that using some aftermarket caps may cause problems or failures of the pressure sensors. If I remember, some of the aftermarket dressup caps don't seal well (no rubber gasket?) and allow damaging moisture into the sensor.
i can't see that happening... u have a pressurized valve from all the air in the tire. there should not be any moisture reaching the sensor which is mounted inside the tire from the valve itself. i understand corrosion around the small cap, but to reach all the way inside to the sensor doesn't make any sense at all.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:45 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i can't see that happening... u have a pressurized valve from all the air in the tire. there should not be any moisture reaching the sensor which is mounted inside the tire from the valve itself. i understand corrosion around the small cap, but to reach all the way inside to the sensor doesn't make any sense at all.
Yeah. That's what I thought as well, but that's what I was told. My '03 doesn' have the sensors, so I didn't pursue it further.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to hear you got them off. You can buy some anti seize at CT. It's in the auto section and comes in a small round grey bottle. I use it on my wheel lugs, wheel centers and wheel/hub contact areas. Works extremely well.
+1. I worked at a place that built big mother trucks and we used anti-seize on all lugs, etc. One thing that does happen with finished/coated threads is galling and this helps alot.
Forgot: Be careful handling this stuff, the guys would say 'one drop covers the earth'. Once you experience it, you'll know it.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Well I think I will start using my antisieze compound on valve caps now, after this discussion.
Thanks for the tips guys

Old 11-29-2008, 07:34 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^Good luck Wayne!

My baby went into hibernation on Thursday.

Old 11-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, one of the aftermarket valves seized on my stem two weeks ago, don't try to get it off with vice grips, bad idea as you will have a flat in the parking lot... and then have to deal with the dealership to install a new one... not cool and a waste of a day. Keep the OEM Plastic ones on, they are plastic for a reason...

Old 11-29-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by bougizu
So, one of the aftermarket valves seized on my stem two weeks ago, don't try to get it off with vice grips, bad idea as you will have a flat in the parking lot... and then have to deal with the dealership to install a new one... not cool and a waste of a day. Keep the OEM Plastic ones on, they are plastic for a reason...
None of the OEM ones I have seen are plastic.

Old 12-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Really? What are they then? When I went to the dealership they said they would jsut put oem ones back on the fix the problem, and now they are plastic. What OEM ones do you have? Are they chrome hexagonal shaped?

Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 AM
Rated M

LOL, that's true.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by bougizu
Really? What are they then? When I went to the dealership they said they would jsut put oem ones back on the fix the problem, and now they are plastic. What OEM ones do you have? Are they chrome hexagonal shaped?
The valve caps on my 05 and 07 were exactly like this on this tire sensor:

Attached Thumbnails TPMS cap seized?-tps-sensor.jpg  
Old 12-01-2008, 01:00 PM
Most of us probably do less checking in the winter time. Maybe these sensors/caps are of a metal that is more susceptible to corrosion.

Well I had to break down and put the antisieze on my valve stems. I went out this morning and thought I would manually check my pressures on my winters even though I have TPS. Well, I could hardly get one off and I sprayed it with silicone a month ago .
I don't like using the antisieze since it seems to get all over. I used to use it at the Nuclear Plant on overhauls and it is good,,,,,,,,,,,,but messy.

Now all my valve stems have been lubed.

Deane I think we are using the same stuff. I checked my bottle and it is as you described and is made by Permatex.

Old 12-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
...forgot to check mine on the weekend.

lol... I agree Wayne, that stuff gets every where when you use it.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Rated M

Well I had to break down and put the antisieze on my valve stems. I went out this morning and thought I would manually check my pressures on my winters even though I have TPS. Well, I could hardly get one off and I sprayed it with silicone a month ago .
I don't like using the antisieze since it seems to get all over. I used to use it at the Nuclear Plant on overhauls and it is good,,,,,,,,,,,,but messy.

Now all my valve stems have been lubed.

Deane I think we are using the same stuff. I checked my bottle and it is as you described and is made by Permatex.
Yes, that is the stuff. That stuff definitely does it's job and sticks well to everything!

Good job on solving the problem Wayne.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPMS cap seized?