Canada Serving Canada.

TPMS cap seized?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS cap seized?

I just got a call from the tire centre that they have to break off my TPMS on one my wheels because it's seized? They left me a message on my cell phone so it's kinda hard to hear...but, my question is how can the cap be seized? And why would they have to break it off for them to install winter tires?

Old 11-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
They have to get the valve cap off to deflate and inflate your tires. I used cheap aftermarket chrome valve caps on mine and one of them was almost siezed, after one winter. I was lucky to get it off. I went back to the OEM ones and they have been okay.
Is that what your problem is? If so, I hope they tried some penetrating oil on it, those sensors are not cheap.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
They have to get the valve cap off to deflate and inflate your tires. I used cheap aftermarket chrome valve caps on mine and one of them was almost siezed, after one winter. I was lucky to get it off. I went back to the OEM ones and they have been okay.
Is that what your problem is? If so, I hope they tried some penetrating oil on it, those sensors are not cheap.
Oh is it the thing were you fill up air in the tire LOL? If so, yes I have the OEM ones.

Damn, W I think you're right. The message they left makes sense to me now. Hell no I'm not going to let them break it off. I hope they can open it.

Thanks for the super fast reply .

Old 11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
NP, hope you get it fixed up okay.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
It's an '07 and they're seized? Sounds like you never check your tire pressures.

Old 11-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
It's an '07 and they're seized? Sounds like you never check your tire pressures.
I would be curious to know also Deane.
I run my sensors in my winter wheels and I only check them once through the winter and rely on the sensors. On the other hand I check my summer rubber without sensors every few weeks.
In a few months driving in the salty conditions mine started to sieze, if hullio relies on the sensors for the last two years I could understand them siezing. But really I have never had that problem before on any vehicle.
I actually put a bit of silicone on my valve stem threads since as a preventative measure.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:40 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
I'll be frank, the last time I check was a good four months ago or so.

Anyways, had to bring the car home since they didn't have time to open it... So I just brought back the car and I got creative. I got my cordless drill with the adjustable head and gripped it to the cap. I set the torque high and put it in reverse and voila the cap is open. However, I did end up busting up the cap a little bit so I took one of my caps off my bicycle tire and put it on the car for now.

Does someone like Canadian tire sell these caps? Might as well buy a new set and replace them all.

EDIT: brb, found a set that I'm going to go out and buy now: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true

Trending Topics

Old 11-25-2008, 06:10 PM
Excellent, I'm glad you got it apart. Saved some dollars there .

I can understand only checking it that often when using the tire sensors, I was also guilty with my winters, but I guess we both learned a lesson .

Old 11-25-2008, 06:16 PM
Aw shucks they were all out of the dollar sign valve caps...haha. Just bought a new set.

Yes W, lesson well learned. Or, I'll always keep my drill in the car j/k haha.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:21 PM
One of the oem metal caps on my 07x seized on after the first winter, the techs at the tire shop refused to take it off because they were afraid of breaking the TPMS sensor so I went into their shop and did it myself with a pair of pliers. I'm never putting metal caps on my cars again.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
^^^Thanks Christian, so it isn't just us to experience the problem. It is something everyone should keep an eye on. The silicone spray on mine seemed to help. Maybe I will do it on a regular basis.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
The problem, as I understand it, is that the cap is aluminum and the valve stem is some other alloy which makes the two metals prone to oxidization causing them to seize together. There's a product that electricians use to prevent oxidization of aluminum wires, the brand I have is called Ox-Gard, that *might* help to prevent this issue. A tube that will last a lifetime of applications is only about $3 at Rona so it might be worth a try.

Last edited by Christian; 11-25-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Suppose you broke a sensor, will the low pressure light up on the dash?

Old 11-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by hullio
Suppose you broke a sensor, will the low pressure light up on the dash?
If you break the valve stem you'll lose all the pressure in your tire, so it should definitely turn on.

Old 11-25-2008, 07:20 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I would be curious to know also Deane.
I run my sensors in my winter wheels and I only check them once through the winter and rely on the sensors. On the other hand I check my summer rubber without sensors every few weeks.
In a few months driving in the salty conditions mine started to sieze, if hullio relies on the sensors for the last two years I could understand them siezing. But really I have never had that problem before on any vehicle.
I actually put a bit of silicone on my valve stem threads since as a preventative measure.
Most of us probably do less checking in the winter time. Maybe these sensors/caps are of a metal that is more susceptible to corrosion.

Originally Posted by Hullio
I'll be frank, the last time I check was a good four months ago or so.

Anyways, had to bring the car home since they didn't have time to open it... So I just brought back the car and I got creative. I got my cordless drill with the adjustable head and gripped it to the cap. I set the torque high and put it in reverse and voila the cap is open. However, I did end up busting up the cap a little bit so I took one of my caps off my bicycle tire and put it on the car for now.

Does someone like Canadian tire sell these caps? Might as well buy a new set and replace them all.

EDIT: brb, found a set that I'm going to go out and buy now: http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...romSearch=true
Glad to hear you got them off. You can buy some anti seize at CT. It's in the auto section and comes in a small round grey bottle. I use it on my wheel lugs, wheel centers and wheel/hub contact areas. Works extremely well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPMS cap seized?