Canada Serving Canada.

Weird Warning Light Combination in Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Warning Light Combination in Cold Weather

Hi All,

(semi) Long time reader, first time poster.

In weather below approx. -5 Celsius, my 2005 coupe with 17 inch Blizzaks develops a very weird combination of warning lights. The VDC Off, Slip, and E-Brake lights all come on at once and stay illuminated for what is usually until the car is shut off in warmer weather. If the car is shut off and turned back on again in cold weather, the lights remain on. It doesn't seem to affect drivability at all, and I don't believe the VDC is actually disabled - though I haven't tested this, as cold conditions and busy snowy roads aren't the best place to try and spin the tires!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, or has any idea what may be causing it? I'm assuming a sensor somewhere doesn't like the cold, but that's just my guess.

Thankfully, my car is still under warranty so I'll be bringing it in next week, but just thought I'd see if anyone can help me guide the dealer in case they don't know what it is.

Thanks,

Dave

Old 12-12-2008, 05:47 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by skunk989
Hi All,

(semi) Long time reader, first time poster.

In weather below approx. -5 Celsius, my 2005 coupe with 17 inch Blizzaks develops a very weird combination of warning lights. The VDC Off, Slip, and E-Brake lights all come on at once and stay illuminated for what is usually until the car is shut off in warmer weather. If the car is shut off and turned back on again in cold weather, the lights remain on. It doesn't seem to affect drivability at all, and I don't believe the VDC is actually disabled - though I haven't tested this, as cold conditions and busy snowy roads aren't the best place to try and spin the tires!

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen, or has any idea what may be causing it? I'm assuming a sensor somewhere doesn't like the cold, but that's just my guess.

Thankfully, my car is still under warranty so I'll be bringing it in next week, but just thought I'd see if anyone can help me guide the dealer in case they don't know what it is.

Thanks,

Dave
Welcome Dave.

I believe that issue is linked to either a faulty brake pedal light switch or brake fluid level too low in the reservoir.

The dealer should be aware of the switch issue and the reservoir is easily checked.

G/L with repairs.Let us know how that goes.

Colin.

Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
i no for a fact if u have an aftermarket intake, my car the engine lite kept comeing on and saying lean fuel, took off the intake for the winter months and no more lite

Old 12-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Thanks for the help all,

My car is stock save the snow tires, so it's nothing aftermarket related.

Fluid levels are fine, so I'm guessing it's the brake pedal light switch not enjoying the cold - the past week or so has been fine, as we've been hovering around 0 celsius, but I imagine as we get our cold weather this evening it will start acting up again.

Either way, I'll update after service and let everyone know the result.

Dave

Old 01-03-2009, 12:57 AM
Hey guys, I currently have the exact same problem. The VDC got disabled, I noticed that because I was driving in snow and making a few quick turns to test it. I had my mechanic take a look, he too mentioned the low brake fluids in the reservoir. I'm going to top it up with some more fluids tomorrow, hopefully that'll solve the problem. I'll let you guys know.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:17 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by ihavedeals
Hey guys, I currently have the exact same problem. The VDC got disabled, I noticed that because I was driving in snow and making a few quick turns to test it. I had my mechanic take a look, he too mentioned the low brake fluids in the reservoir. I'm going to top it up with some more fluids tomorrow, hopefully that'll solve the problem. I'll let you guys know.
Welcome, Ihavedeals, - try an ECU reset by either the pedal method or battery disconnect......

ECU RESETS

Colin.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Welcome, Ihavedeals, - try an ECU reset by either the pedal method or battery disconnect......

ECU RESETS

Colin.
Hi Colin,

Thank you for welcoming me on board. Had the car for 6 months now, and finally decided to join the forum lol.

But it was the low brake fluid that caused the lights to turn on. I poured some more brake fluids in and the lights went off.

I also resetted the ECU to see if it made a difference in performance.

Thanks for tip.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:22 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by ihavedeals
Hi Colin,

Thank you for welcoming me on board. Had the car for 6 months now, and finally decided to join the forum lol.

But it was the low brake fluid that caused the lights to turn on. I poured some more brake fluids in and the lights went off.

I also resetted the ECU to see if it made a difference in performance.

Thanks for tip.
You're very welcome, IHD.....and congrats on the G...

Resetting the ECU will allow it to learn your style of driving quickly.....kind of like resetting everything back to zero again and eliminating any granny style driving in its past.

Don't expect a big jump in performance initially, but eventually you should benefit from the reset.

Enjoy,
Colin.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:16 AM
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Did it happen when you put the snow tires on?

I had that happen to me with incorrect tire sizes throwing the vdc off.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^Good point and one I suspect is the issue.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
You're very welcome, IHD.....and congrats on the G...

Resetting the ECU will allow it to learn your style of driving quickly.....kind of like resetting everything back to zero again and eliminating any granny style driving in its past.

Don't expect a big jump in performance initially, but eventually you should benefit from the reset.

Enjoy,
Colin.
Thanks! I will keep that in mind.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 PM
Originally Posted by RiCeBrNr
Did it happen when you put the snow tires on?

I had that happen to me with incorrect tire sizes throwing the vdc off.
Hey,

No it didn't happen when I put on the snow tires. Everything is working fine now, it was just low in brake fluid.

Thanks