Canada Serving Canada.

Is it illegal to hold a "COPS AHEAD" sign few steps away from the cops?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Free speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exposing a cops speedtrap shouldn't be illegal. Not only is it free speech, it also causes drivers so slow down, which makes it safer for everybody. Isn't that what the pig, sorry, cop, want's anyway?

Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
If it was 5 or 8 over then fight it. Maybe your speedometer is a little off.
Yes I have driven 5 over. We all do it every day but not in a safety zone. I was nailed for 55 in a 50 on the main street in Stratford many many years ago at 5am with no traffic around. IMO the cop was a jack ***.
Oh and you are the one that was sounding off like you are the good samaritan...
"...help some innocent citizens... "
"...For all I know, I am just doing the good deeds reminding people to obey the traffic law.. is that illegal too? "

Yes, my speedo might be off since it is a 5 years old car and I am running on 18" instead of factory 17" rims.. but so is cop's radar gun......

if you are a regular daily driver .. you should know it is almost impossible to keep driving at 40km/h contantly especially with our cars that have 280hp...it'd be a lot easier to keep it at a higher speed ..say 100km/h ...

As I have mentioned before, I woudln't even be starting this thread or bother with the poster, had I been caught for driving 60+km/h in a 40km/h zone. .. but 48km/h (or 45km/h on my speedo)???.. i think anybody who got pulled over in this scenario would think that the cop is a jack@ss

"...For all I know, I am just doing the good deeds reminding people to obey the traffic law.. is that illegal too? "

I have never sid that you are ILLEGAL for doing the good deeds remdining people to obey the traffic law..

but do you care to explain why and how is it illegal for me to actually hold up a "Please slow down , speedtrap/cops ahead" poster few blocks down the road?

If the true intention of the cops is the safety of the community, he should thank me for doing this for him .

Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM
If it was 5 or 8 over then fight it. Maybe your speedometer is a little off.
Yes I have driven 5 over. We all do it every day but not in a safety zone. I was nailed for 55 in a 50 on the main street in Stratford many many years ago at 5am with no traffic around. IMO the cop was a jack ***.
Oh and you are the one that was sounding off like you are the good samaritan...
"...help some innocent citizens... "
Also I have never tried to act like a good samaritan that my only intention is to help the innocent citizens.
You should probably go back to the beginning of this thread and read it again if you think that way.

As I have mentioned before, I am planning to make up a poster and follow this ONE cop to everywhere he goes.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
the road right in front of my community has seen many cops now from day to day its ridiculous. Coming from from school Theirs at least 2 cops with Radar guns pointing down the road. And in the moaning theirs an older cop which I forgot about to day, I almost cried when I saw him lol. The road right out of my neighborhood is 35 I was going like 38ish and were he was it goes down to 30 "begin 30 mph" is what the sign says. Thank god he was not in a pissed off mood. I guess he just cares about the 35 area and i was not going too fast.

Old 07-16-2009, 03:53 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Look, I never said it should be illegal. Solely on the basis of making the roads safer, I support your opinion on the responsibility we all have to make the roads safer but basically you want to do it to **** off the cop that gave you the ticket. At least that is what it seems like to me. Am I wrong?
If your true intension is the safety of the community then you should make it a full time commitment like it is for the officer.
I say, just do it and then report back to the forum on whether or not the police respond to your plea for public safety.
No offence intended.
Best of luck.

edit - my apologies, it wasn't you that called them po-po.

Last edited by rpm&my_G35; 07-16-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Look, I never said it should be illegal. Solely on the basis of making the roads safer, I support your opinion on the responsibility we all have to make the roads safer but basically you want to do it to **** off the cop that gave you the ticket. At least that is what it seems like to me. Am I wrong?
If your true intension is the safety of the community then you should make it a full time commitment like it is for the officer.
I say, just do it and then report back to the forum on whether or not the police respond to your plea for public safety.
No offence intended.
Best of luck.

edit - my apologies, it wasn't you that called them po-po.
No problem.
To be honest with you I am not trying to be mother Teresa for the community nor am I trying to give the society back by any means. What I want to do here (with this particular cop) is for my own best of interest because YES, I am pissed off by him.

It just happens so that what I am about to do would also benefit other drivers and somewhat make the community safer. But again, that is not my root intention. (I never tried to conceal my true colour, as you previously mentioned).

With all the being said, I will make a very diplomatic with absoutely no vulgar language poster and stand at least 500 ft. away from the cop, next time I see him on a weekend. And I will make sure he catches NOBODY as long as I am with him. We will see how that turns out.

I will keep you guys updated.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
lol... tell us when & we'll call out the News.

Old 07-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that would be great if you made the news!

Old 07-16-2009, 04:53 PM
lol .. will you guys help me make a big deal out of it if I am thrown to the jail for doing this?!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by Smartidiot
This is exactly what I am planning on doing.. there is this popo who has nothing better to do but camping in my neighbord trying to catch people speeding.. he actually gave me a ticket for driving 48km/h in a 40km/h zone..

so i am thinking of following him to EVERYWHERE he camps and pose a "diplomatic" sign right in front of his trap.. yes.. i am that narrow-minded and have so much free time in my hand.
Tell him to come and camp on my street and catch the speeding idiots. He's more than welcome.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 444 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by j 4 lD
Free speech!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Exposing a cops speedtrap shouldn't be illegal. Not only is it free speech, it also causes drivers so slow down, which makes it safer for everybody. Isn't that what the pig, sorry, cop, want's anyway?
What if the police officer is posted looking for a vehicle suspected in a robbery or a kidnapping?

To the OP: I wish I had as much free time as you do. Why don't you just let it go and find something more productive to do?

Old 07-17-2009, 12:01 AM
I only read the first few posts, but I will tell you my experience

I was working in Newmarket driving down from barrie and I was on Hwy 9. I saw popos on the left side just passed Bathurst, I did the typical double flash and then I saw MORE popos on the other side of the hill and got pulled over.
Here's a condensed version of what the cop said to me:
"Did you know that flashing or otherwise informing drivers of police presence is a serious offense?"
"No I didn't officer"
"yeah, it's up to a $3000 fine and possible jailtime. It is labelled as obstruction of justice"
"holy **** and here I was just thinking I was being a good samaritan forewarning my fellow drivers of police presence"
"yeah it's not exactly worth it is it?"
"HELL NO! let them get booked for speeding!"
Cop laughed and sent me on my way

Old 07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by Smartidiot
than how about holding up a sign that says something like "Please slow down with a drawing of a pig going to a donut shop" ?? For all I know, I am just doing the good deeds reminding people to obey the traffic law.. is that illegal too?
lol.. how did you come up with that

Old 07-17-2009, 04:05 AM
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
lol bro i got a better idea, if ure bored come help me paint my rims, sanding is a biatch

Old 07-17-2009, 10:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by TroysG
I only read the first few posts, but I will tell you my experience

I was working in Newmarket driving down from barrie and I was on Hwy 9. I saw popos on the left side just passed Bathurst, I did the typical double flash and then I saw MORE popos on the other side of the hill and got pulled over.
Here's a condensed version of what the cop said to me:
"Did you know that flashing or otherwise informing drivers of police presence is a serious offense?"
"No I didn't officer"
"yeah, it's up to a $3000 fine and possible jailtime. It is labelled as obstruction of justice"
"holy **** and here I was just thinking I was being a good samaritan forewarning my fellow drivers of police presence"
"yeah it's not exactly worth it is it?"
"HELL NO! let them get booked for speeding!"
Cop laughed and sent me on my way

^ and how did the cop know 100% that you were flashing your lights to warn of police? you could have been flashing for a number of generally-accepted reasons (high beams on, danger ahead, etc...). there is no way a $3000 fine (or jail time LOL) would ever be imposed, since this charge is easily defended. it sounds like the cop tried to use scare tactics on you - and it worked.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it illegal to hold a "COPS AHEAD" sign few steps away from the cops?