Old 08-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Risky Coors Ad Mocking Torontonians

Definitely a risky ad for Coors!!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2...07616-sun.html

Old 08-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Received 114 Likes on 50 Posts
What a dumb idea, how could this have generated any more sales by offending people? Where do people think this sh*t up? Ugh, this gets under my skin.

Last edited by CDN_G35; 08-19-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Sp.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
When I first read it, I thought about the tempature... Frost brewed etc... Canada is cold in the winter, but I can see how people from Toronto could take it the wrong way.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
this is hillarious. it appears the driving force behind the removal of these ads was a woman on vacation from TO who saw the ad and got offended and complained to Coors.
Coors received 10 (yes, only 10!) complaint emails/calls and decided to pull the slogan. they are physically removing 30 billboard ads around Vancity as we speak, after spending who knows how much on the ad campaign. this slogan is a superficial jab at our rivals to the east, all in good fun. BC'ers get joked about all the time: weed-smoking, tree-hugging, NDP hippies etc...and we get that, it rolls of our shoulders. developing thick skin is part of growing up and helps immensely with daily "disturbances" such as this.

2 issues here: the first is that somebody was horrified enough to take the time/effort to formally complain about something as innocuous as this - are you kidding me? the second is that Coors pulled the ad after 10 complaints - big deal.

i'm guessing the execs who made the decision to pull the ad are based in the east and sympathized with the whiners. it is a well-established western-Canada tradition to lightly bash the TO crowd. most of the mockery surrounds sports (mainly the Leafs) and the heavy bias that TO teams have on TV coverage. for instance; every early HNIC game involves the Leafs, no matter how brutal they are at the moment.

anyhow, Coors is likely to benefit greatly from this exposure. the people who whined probably aren't beer drinkers anyways so they lost nothing. actually, they likely will solidify their position with fans of their product (not me) - at least west of TO.

Last edited by canucklehead; 08-19-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Received 114 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by canucklehead
this is hillarious. it appears the driving force behind the removal of these ads was a woman on vacation from TO who saw the ad and got offended and complained to Coors.
Coors received 10 (yes, only 10!) complaint emails/calls and decided to pull the slogan. they are physically removing 30 billboard ads around Vancity as we speak, after spending who knows how much on the ad campaign. this slogan is a superficial jab at our rivals to the east, all in good fun. BC'ers get joked about all the time: weed-smoking, tree-hugging, NDP hippies etc...and we get that, it rolls of our shoulders. developing thick skin is part of growing up and helps immensely with daily "disturbances" such as this.
Thats a good way of breaking it down, I guess I was a bit groggy this morning when I woke up.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Yeah not very bright considering Toronto is the biggest market in Canada. Oh well, doesn't affect me, I don't drink that horsepiss.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read about this yesterday in the Star.

Here is what I have to say...
1. The ad is funny/clever, so props for that. Good marketing is about creativity. I prefer this ad over one which portrays a “lifestyle” you experience when you drink a certain beverage.
2. I'm from TO and I'm not offended... as going back to my first point, it's meant to be funny.
3. The ad says "most" not all.
4. Those from TO who really get offended reinforce the stereotypes about Torontonians even more.

I'm almost certain Coors outsources their marketing to an outside agency... of course Coors would still be the one approving the ads if that's the case.

If I have an issue with the ad, it is this... alcohol companies should not be associated with Olympics/sports. And yeah, I know not everyone will agree with that either.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
And I just read this was going to end on Sept 4th anyways. So all this media attention is probably icing on the cake for Coors.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM
eyz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, the ad has some relevance:

I'm from Toronto and I'm pretty damn cool

Regardless, I think it's pretty funny, people these days have absolutely no sense of humor - everything is offensive and begs objection, that's what I find annoying.

Old 08-19-2009, 02:50 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
I agree with what has been posted so far. I actually found the ad to be both humourous and clever(albeit on the high side of riskiness). I'll admit that I didn't want to state this out of the gate not knowing what GTA member's reactions might be. Having said that though, I can see how some people could be offended by it.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:51 PM
Never gone
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
People still drink Coors?

Old 08-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Lol. It's humorous and clever and should result in a lot more publicity and support for their company. Maybe not amongst some Torontonians but that's the price of attempting the campaign in the first place.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I thought the ad was nice sarcastic jab at Torontonians. Lets not take life too seriously folks!

Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 PM
billboard campaign for Coors beer is being pulled after area Torontonians were offended by the ad.
Wow.

That. Is. So. Dumb.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Budlight lime ftw..haha
cheap under belly shot but not a big deal
toronto+montreal rulez

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Risky Coors Ad Mocking Torontonians