Canada Serving Canada.

BMW 135i Dinan ... X1 now!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
I don't know if it's an issue for you but there have been questions raised about the twin turbo's reliability as well as many other issues. No car is perfect, but I'd personally avoid BMW. Even if you only own it while it's covered under warranty, it's no fun going to the dealer for repairs.
Questions raised? Oh noes. Not questions! Sorry, I poke fun - but you can "raise questions" about any car. Like oil sludged rev up VQs for example. The turbos on the N54 have been fine so far, the only "issues" are the HPFP, which has been a problem and in some regards remains one; but it isn't an engine issue. FWIW, in 3 year reliability the 335i/135i/535i have been as good or better than most of their Japanese counterparts. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted by WhosUrBuddiee
BMW has free scheduled mainenance for the first 4 years. Includes brakes, wipers, oil changes ect.
No brakes in Canada. In fact, the 4 year maintenance here is pretty much crap. One oil change a year, wipers, the end.

Originally Posted by darnelled
How much is the Dinan upgrade?
Like ~$2k if you don't need the oil cooler. Dynos show it in the 345/360 range to the wheels, which is less (but not a ton less) than aftermarket stuff. Of course you get the DINAN warranty.

On the whole "keep your BMW warranty" thing; you don't. BMW doesn't necessarily frown on DINAN stuff but if your engine blows up they'll probably deny the claim - DINAN says they will pay for repairs in that case, but I don't think anyone has tested it yet.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by darnelled
How much is the Dinan upgrade?
As i recall when I was pricing out option it was in the 2-3 grand range.

Picus - Finally someone here who sees my view! Nice Bimmer BTW!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
It's funny, but in a strange ugly duckling sort of way; I really like the 1 series.

As well, some amazing things can be done with that platform.
We had one out at our last track day & with a few basic mods (coilovers, chipped and R comps)
That guy was kicking everyones azz.
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by Shawn87
Picus - Finally someone here who sees my view! Nice Bimmer BTW!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:51 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^
I meant the non bimmer haters. Youre also one of them sorry!!!

I find it funny, if I recall correctly, I remember reading a thread how everyone though the G37 was ugly when it was released. Now everyone loves it!!!

Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
I don't hate on bimmers (not implying you said I did) but, the 135i is just "one" of those cars you know?

Sure it has a great platform and good handling but at that price point I would gladly spend the extra few thousand for a 335i and escape ugly.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally Posted by 05G356MT
I don't hate on bimmers (not implying you said I did) but, the 135i is just "one" of those cars you know?

Sure it has a great platform and good handling but at that price point I would gladly spend the extra few thousand for a 335i and escape ugly.
Its very 'European'.

I do admit that the Euro Spec hatchback is not appealing at all.. Check the Bimmer internation site for pics.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
....still not a G37C fan
They have to be murdered out to look good, otherwise a chick cruiser.

If the price point had been a little better on the 1er when it came out,& a couple of kilos lighter....
I could very well have been rocking one today instead of the G.

JM2C, but I'd seriously look at other tuners besides Dinan though.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:07 PM
I actually have no problem with the rear end of the car. It's the front that's hideous IMO. I'm sure that with a nice aggressive aftermarket front it would look much better.

Are you planning on buying this car? An old co-worker of mine had one (I/E/DP/Procede/BMW Performance Suspension) and it is very much a drivers car. It sort of reminds me of a s2000 on steriods.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:09 PM
....still not a G37C fan
They have to be murdered out to look good, otherwise a chick cruiser.

If the price point had been a little better on the 1er when it came out,& a couple of kilos lighter....
I could very well have been rocking one today instead of the G.

JM2C, but I'd seriously look at other tuners besides Dinan though.
Any other manufacturers offer some warranty like Dinan does. I was only on the Dinan bc the nearest dealership to me is a Dinan dealer as well so any problems two birds with one stone deal...

Old 08-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Originally Posted by 05G356MT
I actually have no problem with the rear end of the car. It's the front that's hideous IMO. I'm sure that with a nice aggressive aftermarket front it would look much better.

Are you planning on buying this car? An old co-worker of mine had one (I/E/DP/Procede/BMW Performance Suspension) and it is very much a drivers car. It sort of reminds me of a s2000 on steriods.
Ya i was looking for some aftermarket bumpers but havent found much.

I am definitely considering it as a possible futre vehicle. I was very impressed. (Blows anything away that I ever drove while working at Honda eng)

Old 08-26-2009, 03:14 PM
Originally Posted by Shawn87
Any other manufacturers offer some warranty like Dinan does. I was only on the Dinan bc the nearest dealership to me is a Dinan dealer as well so any problems two birds with one stone deal...
If you're worried about warranty issue's just get the BMW N54 Performance Power Kit. http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289850 but IMO, hardly worth it.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Warranty?....
the Procede etc are a quick removal & no trace in the data log.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
RPL
135i ftw. For sure.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
...hmmm for what it's worth... i've been running an sstt in my bmw for over a year now and have had 0 problems with it. i know kevin has an even more serious chip in his... and i don't think his engine or turbos have disintegrated yet either .

i had my car in for an oil change last week and got a 135 as a loaner. it's a pretty serious performer. to be honest.. if i had to do it again i probably would have went with a 135 cabriolet instead of my 335. it's just too big of a car for me for what i use it for.

in terms of reliability and problems.. that car has been pretty much flawless for me... where as my former g35 coupe... well... let's just say i won't go there

Old 08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by giddyup69
....... where as my former g35 coupe... well... let's just say i won't go there
lol.... that's OK.
I may be an OF, but I do remember some of the things you went through.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BMW 135i Dinan ... X1 now!!!!