Canada Serving Canada.

OEM Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2010 | 02:23 PM
I see... Thanks for your quick reply. Mine is a non brembo 03 coupe. The cold stopping with the HAWK HPS really concern me. Thus I'm torn because some people rave about how great HAWK pads are, but if its a drop in stopping power for winter that could be an issue as well.

Old 04-20-2010 | 02:56 PM
For me anyway there was definately a drop in stopping power. If you think about it , it makes sense. The reason why there is less dust is because the material doesn't grab or flake away as much.

From what I have read, there is an inverse relationship between dust and stopping power. The amount of one dictates the other.

Old 04-20-2010 | 03:08 PM
Over the winter, I didnt really notice any loss of braking power with the HPS. Granted I never did stop very hard as it was winter, but with my winter tires, I had no issues stopping.

Old 04-20-2010 | 09:59 PM
bomberman! thanks! you must have crazy winters over there lol

Old 04-20-2010 | 10:49 PM
hi guys i have 2003 coupe with non brembo , i have hawks, +1000000 with Elrooko on the hawks, they are sure cheaper and non dusty but again, it doesnt give u the confidence oem pads give u. pedal feels too soft, besides it feels shaky when u press on the brakes over 90km and over.

i am just waiting to drain these so i can go back oem back again. i dont give a flying tuck for dusts, safety is way much important for me, dust goes away when u use a towel

i think for people with the brembos, the difference is probably more obvious.

overall pay lil bit more and get oem, there are couple of guys (the guy on kijiji for gta) sells these way cheaper than dealers.

my 2 cents, good luck

Old 04-20-2010 | 11:04 PM
If you're thinking about purchasing Hawks, and you live in a colder region where the temps dips; you should look into other pads. Hawks are absolutely horrible, if not life threaten in the winter months.

I ran Hawks Hps last year through the winter for the first time, and I will never use these pads again. In the months of January and February, with temps in the 30's, I felt like I had no brakes until the pads some what got to temperature. No where near OEM cold braking standard.

For most of the members that rave about these pads, look at where they live, and I'm pretty sure it's in warmer regions, where these pads fare better...

Old 04-20-2010 | 11:12 PM
Anthens_G,

Thanks for your post bro. Anything you recommend? you running OEM's year round? its such tough choices for buying this stuff. Some say they dont notice a diff some say they barely work lol

Old 04-21-2010 | 12:24 AM
^After searching and reading through numerous brake pad threads, Project MU seems to be a good contender although they are a bit pricey.

OEM pads may have their drawbacks, more so with the 03-04 pads, but they provide great stopping power, not limited to temperature.

Old 04-21-2010 | 08:31 PM
Originally Posted by AzN.KnIGHT
bomberman! thanks! you must have crazy winters over there lol
This is true, only got stuck once though haha

Originally Posted by Anthens_G
For most of the members that rave about these pads, look at where they live, and I'm pretty sure it's in warmer regions, where these pads fare better...
I have to disagree with you here. I had no problems stopping properly when it was as low as -35C here, sure my car had a hell of a time starting, but I never had a problem stopping on dry/snow/ice.

I do agree with you on the project mu though, that was the pads I had originally planned on getting, but there were not available locally, so I ended up with the hawk hps as that is what I could come up with at the time as i had my car up and ready to be changed.

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:23 PM
Originally Posted by bomberman447

I have to disagree with you here. I had no problems stopping properly when it was as low as -35C here, sure my car had a hell of a time starting, but I never had a problem stopping on dry/snow/ice.

To your comment on no problem stopping on dry/snow/ice, that is more to the dynamics of your tire, and my focus is directed at the pads functionality in colder temps.

I'm to assume you had no problems stopping once your pads were up to temp?

Are you saying in -35c temp, you can pull out your driveway and in a couple of yards, you have to make a panic stop, and your car would stop on a dime? I beg to differ on cold pads...

From my experience with these pads, they had no initial bite at all in cold weather until I made a couple of stops at the lights.

Pads are made to stop your car and the temperature should not be a deciding factor if your front bumper will be in someone's back seat!!!

Old 04-21-2010 | 11:58 PM
Well yes, it was partially the tires, especially on ice, but no the pads were generally not up to temp. I had more than enough bite in those very cold temps to stop properly as there are alot of moron drivers here. I would test them out when it was cold out to see the stopping power, and between the pads and the tires I had no problems wether they were up to temp or not.