Canada Serving Canada.

Disposal of old oil/fluids

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009 | 11:15 AM
|
Disposal of old oil/fluids

I heard Canadian Tire would accept old fluids for disposal for free. I also thought that when you buy oil or other fluids, there is an environmental charge added which accounts for disposal. However, when I went to get rid of some oil and coolant back in the summer they charged me about $5 for it; I asked the employee about it and he said it was a new fee that the government collects. Anyone know anything about this? I got the car only this past summer so I haven't had any experience with this.

I'm not going to dispose of the old fluids in any illegitimate way but just wanted to check if I am supposed to be getting charged or it was a mistake.

Last edited by G35fromTO; 10-05-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2009 | 02:35 PM
hmmmmmmm... good question. i was under the assumption that we supposedly pay some fee upfront... disposal after wards is covered with the fee.

try looking up a disposal location here:
http://www.dowhatyoucan.ca/mhsw_home.aspx

u can try contacting them for more info if u'd like too:
1-888-288-3360
customerservice@stewardshipontario.ca

Old 10-05-2009 | 05:11 PM
I believe most Crappy Tires charge a small fee to dispose of your oil. It has been a year at least.

Old 10-05-2009 | 07:09 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Every province is different. Most retailers around here will accept 4-5 litres free if it was bought there..... otherwise charge about a dollar for that amount.

Our main environmental depot in the city take it for nothing and every couple of months they take it mobile to a community near you- mall parking lot etc. I save it up and make a couple of trips a year down the road to the nearest mall. They also take all other things from batteries to paint etc.

Old 10-05-2009 | 07:16 PM
at our local crappy tire, when i brought my old car there for oil change, i see lots of used oil bottles outside the auto department door.

Old 10-05-2009 | 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by RBull
Every province is different. Most retailers around here will accept 4-5 litres free if it was bought there..... otherwise charge about a dollar for that amount.

Our main environmental depot in the city take it for nothing and every couple of months they take it mobile to a community near you- mall parking lot etc. I save it up and make a couple of trips a year down the road to the nearest mall. They also take all other things from batteries to paint etc.
^^^that is excellent

Old 10-05-2009 | 07:45 PM
|
Can't correct the typo in my subject line...

I also found the site www.dowhatyoucan.ca Basically there is NO place in TO or York Region that officially accepts used motor oil for disposal... pretty lame if you ask me!

I goggled this topic a little bit and found others mentioning that Crappy Tire started charging them, but it seems to be an inconsistent thing where many still pay nothing. Some bring their used oil to various places that use it in their furnace. Others will just leave full bottles by Crappy Tire's auto shop or similar place (not a method I will be using).

Old 10-05-2009 | 08:26 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by GEE35FX
^^^that is excellent
It is pretty good. Halifax is a world leader in recycling, composting etc for quite a few years now. We have many international visitors coming to observe our practices.

Too bad our harbour doesn't have the same priority.

Old 10-06-2009 | 11:55 PM
come to hamilton, we have free waste disposal. I bring my used oil there all the time. Brought about 10 gallons last time

Old 10-07-2009 | 07:34 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by G35fromTO
Can't correct the typo in my subject line...

fixed

...we have a free recycling/hazardous waste drop off nearby,
at least it was free the last time I was there.

Old 10-20-2009 | 03:52 PM
You can drop off used oil (and other hazardous materials) for no charge at the City of Toronto's environment days. There are a number of them sprinkled throughout the year and throughout the city. You can probably find the dates/locations on the city's website.

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:05 PM
I take all my used oil and used oil containers to lube city/jiffy lube... bla bla bla. Since they change so many car's in a day I just roll up with my stuff all neatly contained and drop it off. They have never asked for a fee here in calgary or in regina.

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by zeadlots
I take all my used oil and used oil containers to lube city/jiffy lube... bla bla bla. Since they change so many car's in a day I just roll up with my stuff all neatly contained and drop it off. They have never asked for a fee here in calgary or in regina.
Great idea to try the quick lube places, though I'm a little surprised they accept it. I usually take mine to the throw 'n go at the landfill near us when I have other stuff to go out there. They have a big tank you pour it in and places for your used containers and filters.

Old 10-20-2009 | 04:58 PM
boi
you can go to walmart as well, at the auto center.

We are paying waste disposal fee whenever we buy oil from these ******!

Old 10-20-2009 | 05:31 PM
|
Originally Posted by boi
you can go to walmart as well, at the auto center.

We are paying waste disposal fee whenever we buy oil from these ******!
Yep, going to give that place a try next time.