Canada Serving Canada.

iPod G35 Coupe 2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod G35 Coupe 2006

What are you guys doing for iPod connectivity solutions for your G?

I have the iPhone with the latest software update. Apparently it is supposed to be able to output via bluetooth, yet when I play a song there is no option to change the source from earphones to bluetooth.

I know I can do the radio transmitter route but I'd rather not. Is there an adapter for us? Cost? Installation?

Thanks.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:19 PM
A couple years back I installed a unit from USA Spec http://www.usaspec.com/ in my '03 Sedan and it has worked fine. Next/Last track functions from the steering wheel work. With my model there wasn't much for display options on the factory head unit, but the sound was pretty clean.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:27 AM
This is your best option for iPod integration and control.
http://www.g35parts.com/G35-iPod-Fac...999u7-ipod.htm

Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
to be honest i want t install the kit to my 2003 g coupe, however found it expensive. i put those cassette kit Belkin sells for like 30 bucks. the sound quality is amazing besides easy install )

Old 11-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Phu
I've got an adapter made from a company called pac. Charges the Ipod, steering wheel controls work, and you can use the bose stereo controls for track selection, full ipod control also. I got my local stereo shop to make a custom mount in the centre console, with the sliding top, by the e-brake. Looks slick. Paid about $450 for part and install.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Hey OP.

Don't take this the wrong way- but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't quite understand what they meant by bluetooth being integrated into the radio. The way I understood it was exactly the same as you did... iphone = bluetooth therefore I can play music. Except that bluetooth + infiniti = disappointment. Next time I guess I'll have to pony up the 3500 for the nav system. Uh.... no.

Anyways- nothing to contribute to solutions but I'll be here looking for answers also! I love the G (same make and model as yours)... so'm looking forward to upgrading my system!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Phu
I've got an adapter made from a company called pac. Charges the Ipod, steering wheel controls work, and you can use the bose stereo controls for track selection, full ipod control also. I got my local stereo shop to make a custom mount in the centre console, with the sliding top, by the e-brake. Looks slick. Paid about $450 for part and install.
Sounds sweet. Got any pics?

Old 11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by ITNKICN
Hey OP.

Don't take this the wrong way- but I'm glad I wasn't the only one who didn't quite understand what they meant by bluetooth being integrated into the radio. The way I understood it was exactly the same as you did... iphone = bluetooth therefore I can play music. Except that bluetooth + infiniti = disappointment. Next time I guess I'll have to pony up the 3500 for the nav system. Uh.... no.

Anyways- nothing to contribute to solutions but I'll be here looking for answers also! I love the G (same make and model as yours)... so'm looking forward to upgrading my system!
Yeah seems kind of odd to me. Must be something about the infiniti system. Originally apple didn't allow the songs to output via bluetooth but the 3.1 update had it and I was excited but unable to get it going

Old 11-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by renegadestorm
This is your best option for iPod integration and control.
http://www.g35parts.com/G35-iPod-Fac...999u7-ipod.htm
That looks like what the doctor ordered- and coincidentally (or not) it looks like we're pre-wired? Or are we? (06 Coupe)

Hmmmm... going to have to figure that out somehow. Any ideas?

Is that something a person could install on their own or best to let the pros do it for a few hundred bucks? (or more- gasp)

I'm not sure if I want to go OVERLY custom... I'd rather spend that money on the business end (under the hood.)

Old 11-04-2009, 06:50 PM
The ebay kit, I think made by PAC looks great. Steering controls, display works, iphone compatible, and has aux inputs so you could maybe use another type of device. Thats the one I want anyway.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:58 AM
I ordered and installed the one from g35 parts. It came from Scottsdale, Arizona. It was actually from the dealership there and is the authentic Nissan genuine part. I have an 06 coupe and it was pre wired. I think it's safe to assume you are pre wired (I'd assume they all are that are 06+).

I'm a car lover but by no means a mechanic. I can do all the average joe repairs (still never changed oil though), and I was able to install this. It's not tough if you have the right directions.

If you go to the g35parts site or whatever, there is a link on the left for installation instructions. It's for a 2004 sedan which is a bit different.

Basically, you have to find the satellite radio connection, which is in the trunk. On the 06 coupe is on the LEFT hand side under all the trunk carpets, etc. Take all the carpetting, trunk paneling out and you will see it there either taped or sitting there. Connect the ipod system, ground the wire, and you are good to go.

The problem is getting the ipod connection to somewhere in the car you want. I took the centre console out in the back seat (just pull up hard enough) and fed the wire through there and now it comes out at the bottom of the centre console in the rear seat. I have the box mounted under that console in the rear seat and have the wire grounded down under the seats. From there it just feeds up through to the front seat. I'm going to drill a hole in the console so it comes up through the arm rest but havn't done that yet.

The functionality of the system isn't totally user friendly. I assume it's easier on the sedans. All the buttons work on the steering wheel (remember to hold the seek button down to change songs), and you have to go into the setup to change the display to be either the song or artist or nothing. It would of been nice to have the song/artist name scrolling if it's too long but it just gets cut off. You can go through and pick songs on your ipod but someone in your passenger seat will have no idea how you are doing it. Also, they won't be able to pick the song manually on the iPhone because it says, "connected to accessory". What they can do, is disconnect the iPod, start a song they want to hear, and then reconnect.

Also, charging doesn't work on my iPhone 3G but works on my old iPod. I get the "charging not supported with this accessory" which basically means Apple is making you buy the $20 passPORT part to make charging enabled.

It took me about 3 hours start to finish to install it. If I did it again, it would probably take me 2 hours tops. Half the battle was finding the sat wire since I heard it was on the back of the rear seat (in sedans), and I made a boo boo and thought it was on the right for coupes when it is on the left.

Hope this helps. Any average joe can do it with an afternoon to spare. Infiniti will charge you probably 2-3 hours labour ($200-$300).

Last edited by canuckeh; 11-05-2009 at 11:06 AM.