Canada Serving Canada.

New Brunswick To Ban Cell Phones While Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I love this law, I like sneaking up on people on their phone and laying on the horn. Sometimes I look stupid because they don't care and give me the "What the hell are you doing *** hole" look, sometimes they drop their phone. haha.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
You are learning well, young Grasshopper.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
Well it seems the AB government finally grew a pair and is starting the process. either that or they were just trying to obfuscate a scathing report on provincial workplace safety, but either way, it's a welcome start.

But I can't believe all the crap in the paper today from people saying "there's no proof it works", "it's not enforceable", and my personal favourite "you're infringing on my rights!". Of course people who say this never use words like "infringing", more like texting "ths scks, u r pwning my rites" as they weave across four lanes and mow down little old ladies in wheelchairs.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:30 AM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Some people just ruin it for all us

Old 04-16-2010, 11:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a thinking out loud here.

I have my bb hooked up to my system so that when someone calls I can speak to them, hands free.

What difference does it make if I am speaking to someone through my hands free system (aka using a device) and speaking to a passenger?

Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 AM
^^ I would say the difference is slight; the Alberta law would allow hands-free but prohibits hands-on talking, texting and other distractions such as eating, reading, putting on makeup and writing/drawing/sketching (LOL). Doesn't say anything about playing the mandolin while juggling 3 running chainsaws and a cat.

You'd think something like "reading" would be obvious, and that education and or common sense would prevent it. But no. I've seen it many times.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
What about smoking?

Old 04-16-2010, 12:02 PM
^^ Depends what, LOL! (I know I don't have to ask you what)

Old 04-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by anotherOAKg
Just a thinking out loud here.

I have my bb hooked up to my system so that when someone calls I can speak to them, hands free.

What difference does it make if I am speaking to someone through my hands free system (aka using a device) and speaking to a passenger?
A passenger in the car, whether they realize it or not, has a sense of the traffic situation and will instinctively adjust their end of the conversation according to how busy they perceive the driver to be (at least most will ). A person on the other end of a phone doesn't have that sense of what's going on inside and outside the car, and will dictate the pace of the conversation accordingly. That's a lot more distracting to the driver, even hands free. It's all in the timing.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I don't typically make calls from my Bluetooth in-car system but if a call comes in I'll answer. I tell the caller I'm driving so they know why replies might be slow/odd and keep the convo short as possible.

I KNOW that I suck at driving when I'm talking on the hands-free and don't care if I admit it. Other people THINK they can still drive well but they're deluding themselves IMO.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:04 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by interalian
I don't typically make calls from my Bluetooth in-car system but if a call comes in I'll answer. I tell the caller I'm driving so they know why replies might be slow/odd and keep the convo short as possible.

I KNOW that I suck at driving when I'm talking on the hands-free and don't care if I admit it. Other people THINK they can still drive well but they're deluding themselves IMO.
I agree, 100%
I know I am a different driver when talking on the BT handsfree so I limit it. I still pull off the road if the conversation is important and requires my attention. Drive or talk...it's one or the other as far as I'm concerned.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
I agree, 100%
I know I am a different driver when talking on the BT handsfree so I limit it. I still pull off the road if the conversation is important and requires my attention. Drive or talk...it's one or the other as far as I'm concerned.
+1, another person here in agreement with this.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm all for cellphone bans in vehicles. Accidents caused by texter's have already killed many people across North American highways. Texting while driving is probably worse than driving drunk.
If I ever get involved in an accident where a person texting causes an accident, they won't have to wait for an ambulance. I will put them in the ER myself.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Coach
A passenger in the car, whether they realize it or not, has a sense of the traffic situation and will instinctively adjust their end of the conversation according to how busy they perceive the driver to be (at least most will ). A person on the other end of a phone doesn't have that sense of what's going on inside and outside the car, and will dictate the pace of the conversation accordingly. That's a lot more distracting to the driver, even hands free. It's all in the timing.
What about children in the back? Do we ban that too?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
^^ No, because that's simply not practical and actually could be covered under driving with undue care and attention, but isn't it better to reduce the distractions that CAN be reduced, and improve traffic safety than to say "we can't reduce all distractions, so let's reduce none"?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Brunswick To Ban Cell Phones While Driving