Canada Serving Canada.

New Brunswick To Ban Cell Phones While Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
New Brunswick To Ban Cell Phones While Driving

Finally, NB is in the works to ban the use of cell phones while driving. It's about time and it can't be implemented quick enough IMO......although it won't be until September.

The provincial government is preparing to introduce legislation that would make it illegal for drivers to use cellphones and other high-tech gadgets while driving.

“We will be bringing forward driver distraction legislation in the near future,” said Public Safety Minister John Foran on Tuesday.

New Brunswick is one of two provinces that doesn’t ban drivers from using cellphones.

Foran said New Brunswick is looking at legislation that would cover a range of devices.

“We want to have broader legislation that would include cellphones, text messages, other electronic devices and video game systems.”

Foran said he also wants the legislation to take into account technology that’s on the horizon.

The department is reaching out to police forces, the insurance industry and other stakeholders to consult on legislation.

Foran acknowledged he received a letter from Mayor Brad Woodside on Monday calling for a ban on text-messaging while driving.

But the Public Safety minister said preparations for such legislation have been in the works for months.

“In fact, we’ve already been looking at that. We’ve been working on it for three or four months.”

Foran said in the meantime police have the power to fine motorists who create a hazard behind the wheel.

“Even in New Brunswick as we speak, there are laws that could cover driver distraction.

“Under the Motor Vehicle Act, if a police officer feels others are at risk, driving without due care and attention, there’s a minimum fine of $500.”

Foran said he expects the legislation to be ready by summer. But that means it won’t be ready to be introduced until after the Sept. 27 provincial election.

In an interview Monday, Bill Adams, regional vice-president Atlantic for the Insurance Bureau of Canada, said such a ban shouldn’t be limited to hand-held mobile phones.

“The research suggests that drivers are as distracted while using handsfree as they are when using a handheld cellphone.”

Foran said the province also believes it’s important to continue to educate drivers on avoiding behaviour that leads to distraction.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Don't get your hopes up too high Shane. As great of an idea as it is I still see dozens of people a day blabbing and/or texting while operating their vehicles. If I can see them, then sureley the police must as well. Hopefully they are being fined or at least warned. Unfortunately it will still take quite a while before peaple will commply but it's a step in the right direction.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Yeah, I have no doubt Paul that people will still continue to talk and text on their phones while driving when this is implemented. I view this as a step in the right direction and at least there will be an actual law in place. Hopefully they'll hand out steep fines for first offences too.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:42 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I still see it too Paul.
But, I have noticed that usage has declined somewhat here.
Maybe it's just me, or maybe the changes here are having some effect.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:11 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I also still see the odd person with their cell pasted to their face. I do believe there are less people doing it though, so I think it will just take time.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by GEE35FX
I also still see the odd person with their cell pasted to their face. I do believe there are less people doing it though, so I think it will just take time.
I sure hope so.
The worst are the people texting.
There have been several times that I had to give a little blast on the horn,
because the dickweed in front was too busy texting to notice the light had changed.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:57 AM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Almost every day now I see people with their nice new wireless bluetooth "handsfree" headsets plugged into their ears, driving along holding onto the headset with one hand.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by Coach
Almost every day now I see people with their nice new wireless bluetooth "handsfree" headsets plugged into their ears, driving along holding onto the headset with one hand.
^lol... tru-dat.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:43 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
On a somewhat related subject (I'll keep the long story short) my sister-in-law WAS recently dating a cop up in Northern Ontario. Since she broke it off he has harassed and stalked her and sent hundreds of rude and even threatening (gun related) text messages. The police are now involved and they borrowed her cell phone to obtain the txt messages he sent.
Here is the good part. It turns out that he sent a text message to her at the exact same time he rolled his police cruiser. This guy is in deep doo doo now! I'll keep you posted in a new thread later.

Old 01-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
cell phone ban started in BC on Jan 1. i still see an abundance of moron drivers, almost always flapping their lips on cells.

let's just say my horn is getting a workout. where can a guy get one of those Dukes-of-Hazard style horns?

Old 01-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
On a somewhat related subject (I'll keep the long story short) my sister-in-law WAS recently dating a cop up in Northern Ontario. Since she broke it off he has harassed and stalked her and sent hundreds of rude and even threatening (gun related) text messages. The police are now involved and they borrowed her cell phone to obtain the txt messages he sent.
Here is the good part. It turns out that he sent a text message to her at the exact same time he rolled his police cruiser. This guy is in deep doo doo now! I'll keep you posted in a new thread later.

I wish AB would get off the pot and enact ours. F'n Stelmach: "We'll wait and see if it works in other provinces." Hey Eddie, call someone in ON and ask them if the sky is blue.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by SwivelHips
I wish AB would get off the pot and enact ours. F'n Stelmach: "We'll wait and see if it works in other provinces." Hey Eddie, call someone in ON and ask them if the sky is blue.
Hey, don't talk **** about my boss like that. I do have to agree though, wake da puck up already and start catching up to the rest of the country/world. We must focus on carbon caputre....wtf.

What drives me even more crazy is people throwing cigarette buds out the window, and i see at least one a day. If I happen to be beside them, I honk and tell them to put the window down. They think I have soemething nice to say, then I unleash. /rant.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
Finally, NB is in the works to ban the use of cell phones while driving. It's about time and it can't be implemented quick enough IMO......although it won't be until September.
Can only help to improve things , Shane, I hope the compliance there is as good or better than here.
I still see some on their phones but not near as many.
C.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by 350Z T
Hey, don't talk **** about my boss like that. I do have to agree though, wake da puck up already and start catching up to the rest of the country/world. We must focus on carbon caputre....wtf.

What drives me even more crazy is people throwing cigarette buds out the window, and i see at least one a day. If I happen to be beside them, I honk and tell them to put the window down. They think I have soemething nice to say, then I unleash. /rant.
You work for Fast Eddie? S'okay, I worked for Dave 'The Weasel' Bronconnier for 6 months. He paid me well.

The butts thing drives me batsh1t, too.

Originally Posted by Msedanman
Can only help to improve things , Shane, I hope the compliance there is as good or better than here.
I still see some on their phones but not near as many.
C.
My point exactly. Even if it doesn't change the behaviour of all the dickweeds, to some extent IT WORKS. Instead of whining that it can't be enforced, enforce it! There's already a distracted driving law? ENFORCE IT!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Good stuff Shane. Like others have said there will be some impact but not a lot and it takes time to change habits. there's not many days when I don't see someone abusing it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Brunswick To Ban Cell Phones While Driving