Canada Serving Canada.

choosing the right Home Alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 10:01 AM
boi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post choosing the right Home Alarm

For People who have homes, I need your input.

I'm in the market for looking at Home Alarms.

What do i look for and need???

Alarm-force has offered me a great rate for an in-home alarm.

What they offered me;
Standard Installation Package (at no charge) includes:

- 1 Live Two-Way Voice Control Unit
- 1 96 Decibel Siren
- 1 Back-Up Battery
- 1 Warning Decals & Lawn Sign
- 2 Wireless Door Contacts (with Door Chime feature)
- 1 Wireless Motion Sensor
- 1 Wireless Keypad

25$/month -- $0 on Installation

Additional Benefits to the Alarmvoice Wireless System

- Quick, clean, professional installation in about 1 hour
- No drilling of holes or running of cables.
- AlarmForce decal has highest deterrent value - it indicates our line-cut technology may be installed.
- Service, installation and monitoring from one company.
- Home security system may be relocated at no charge.
- Three year monitoring contract gives you a cost freeze guarantee and a full warranty on equipment malfunction.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Looks pretty clear to me. I had ADT and cancelled them when I realized they over charged when compared to others. We use a local company now (and 2 dogs).
Don't forget to tell your insurance company when its installed. They should lower your premium a couple bucks.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I have Protectron and they're pretty good. The keypads look the best and insurance savings paid the system. I think it's 26 dollars a month. They came to change my battery recently but I had to pay just for the battery it self. He also changed all the stickers.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:43 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
+1 for Alarmforce. Used them in my final years of work. Gave it up now and only rely on my dogs but I liked A/force.
Saved me a few $$ on house insurance too.

Make sure you have enough contact info for Alarmforce to talk to in the event of alarms/false alarms..-- It can get expensive if Fire/Police respond too often to nuisance calls.

C.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:56 PM
boi
well i live in PEEL district area.

So they mentioned to me i am allowed about 2 false alarms per year.
After that it would be around $75/false alarm

Old 07-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've used ADT for the last 11 years and have had no issues. Their response time has been excellent even out here in the boonies. There is also no charge out here for false alarms and I have had a few over the years.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:29 AM
Buying all the parts and installing it yourself or having a tech do it then use the monitoring center cover it for $10 a month.
I bought everything from ebay with wireless remotes and automation for less than a year of monitoring alone.
So I got an ultra premium set up by alarm companies standards with every door and window having a contact and glass breakage sensor and more than a single motion sensor. I just need the additional GSM or lan adapter for off site control.
I live on a street that if it goes off everyone is going to come outside anyway.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:42 PM
boi
So after reading a couple of reviews online, and reading the better business bureau,

I've decided to go with ADT.

Package I'm getting is,

1 Keypad - Hardwire
1 Motion Sensor
1 Smoke Alarm
1 Wireless KEYFOB
2 Contacts

Cost of Equipment and Installation is $99

Extra stuff throw in for free and no additional charges.

1 Extra Motion Sensor

All for $31.99/month.

After 1month I get the full refund of my equipment cost $99

So basically the whole unit ran me $0

Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
You should throw in a glass break sensor in an area where the motion sensors don't reach just in case. I have one in my office where all of my high tech stuff is cause the motion sensors only cover the open areas and the contact switch only works if the window is open not if it is broken.

Just my opinion.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:24 PM
boi
oh and anybody looking i can give you my ADT Reps number

just PM

Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM
boi
Originally Posted by SammyJL
You should throw in a glass break sensor in an area where the motion sensors don't reach just in case. I have one in my office where all of my high tech stuff is cause the motion sensors only cover the open areas and the contact switch only works if the window is open not if it is broken.

Just my opinion.
Good point.

There's 2 motion, and for you to get to my Electronics.. you will still have to pass by the Motion Sensor.

Old 07-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Alarmforce or ADT.

p.s: an easy way to deter someone is to put a bunch of dummy cameras (inside tinted domes) around the perimeter.... super cheap and helps!

Old 07-16-2010, 03:19 PM
those rates are all expensive. i've been with a smaller company for years and never any problems. i pay $200 a year with alarmsalarms. lots of competitive smaller company's out there... and they all do the same thing.. alarm goes off.. they either send uniform or private service to investigate. although i was lucky when i moved in... alarm was already pre-wired by previous homeowner.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:14 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
In my business, we do get frequent calls out to smoke alarm activations. It's a nice, feel good security blanket to know that someone is monitoring when you're not home. A couple of things to note, however:

Make sure your address isn't a PO Box. We can't deliver a fire truck. In a number of instances, we were dispatched out to legal land descriptions. Again... by the time we figure out which home is yours- it could be too late. It was "alarming" that the monitoring company didn't ASK For that information when the contracts were signed... they don't seem to care if the money keeps coming in.

Also, make sure that your alarm company has any pertinent codes, or keyholder information so that we can get in the house during a false alarm and not break anything in the process. Don't get me wrong, we have the keys to the city- but they look like a haligan bar and a sledge axe.

If you ensure the monitoring company has all this information, when they call 911, they can pass on the information so that it gets to us before the damage is done.

Old 08-17-2011, 02:03 PM
I would like to let everyone know that Alarm Force is a great security provider. Both of my parents are far into their retirement and their age seems to be holding them back. They have difficulty walking up and down the stairs and have little to no means of protecting themselves. Unfortunately, their next door neighbor’s home has recently been broken into so I decided to purchase them a security system. The representative gave me a perfect package deal where the system was thoroughly explained to my parents and they could call a representative at any time for more assistance. Above all, it is great knowing that I don’t have to worry about their safety since they are finally protected and secure in their home.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: choosing the right Home Alarm