Canada Serving Canada.

choosing the right Home Alarm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
When I was looking around 6 months ago, Alarm force was the best option. They had the best package compared to others.

Old 08-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
In a previous career I was an alarm installer, though wireless systems are good hardwired systems are the best. You never have to check batteries in a wired device or need to worry about low battery power reducing it's effectiveness. The reason companies recommend/push wireless systems is they can install them quicker than wired systems.

I won't go into detail online but the best arming/disarming device for any alarm system is a key, if using a keypad two of them is ideal. One in the area you enter/leave by(secondary keypad) and the other(primary keypad)in another room preferably as far away from the secondary as possible. The secondary only disarms devices in the entry area while the rest of the devices in your residence are still armed and controlled by the primary. This way if someone were forced to disarm the system by an intruder lying in wait only the entry area devices are off, entry into other rooms where devices are activate would trip the alarm.

Mobile response to an alarm is in three levels-A,AA,AAA-with AAA the best. These levels correspond to the amount of time it takes for the response to arrive, check what response level is written in the contract before signing. I suggest AA as the minimum.

Most of these systems are just the basics,keypad/motion detector/two magnetic contacts. Just enough for an apartment, once two or three or more devices are added with their monitoring fees on top costs add up.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Our alarm system is from Vivint, who are probably a bit shady but so far no issues. I was SO impressed with their installer, though, a skinny chick, sorta cute, but MAN could she wield a tool! Competence is sexy...

Old 08-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Look for one with good support.
My alarm went off, couldn't turn it off, called support, said they couldnt help me, had to take out the battery, and then kill all the power in the house.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:14 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Exceptional
My alarm went off, couldn't turn it off, called support, said they couldnt help me, had to take out the battery, and then kill all the power in the house.
What company are 'they'?

Old 09-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Exceptional
I hope you freaked on your Alarm Provider and said you want the rest of the contract term for free or you'll cancel as a result of the serious lack of support at a critical time and use a different service provider, if it's a larger Company they'll cave to protect their reputation.

Since you mentioned you removed the battery and killed power to the house I'd say your alarm system was hard wired with a battery back up. Was there a power outage in your neighborhood shortly before this happened?