Canada Serving Canada.

Hypothetical Lock Nut Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothetical Lock Nut Question

Let's say there is a coupe owner, who somehow is an idiot, and lost their lock nut, and went to the tire shop today without checking and had to return home like a moron to look high and low for said lock nut with no avail.

Now for example, the lock nut might look something like this:

Now said idiot might be wondering if anyone in Calgary has this lock so it can be removed and a new lug could be put on, or if anyone might know if a nissan dealer or hyatt might have something to remove it without costing an arm and a leg.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:50 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bomberman447
Let's say there is a coupe owner, who somehow is an idiot, and lost their lock nut, and went to the tire shop today without checking and had to return home like a moron to look high and low for said lock nut with no avail.

Now for example, the lock nut might look something like this:

Now said idiot might be wondering if anyone in Calgary has this lock so it can be removed and a new lug could be put on, or if anyone might know if a nissan dealer or hyatt might have something to remove it without costing an arm and a leg.
Check with the dealer. Apparantly there are not that many different keys and shops now keep as many of these 'keys' around as they can to accommodate frantic customers.
G/L

C.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:58 PM
They make a socket kit for that I'm surprised the place didn't have one its different sized tapered hollow sockets no points that you hammer on to the lock lug and it fits tight enough to spin the lug off I know my dads got one of those kits at our shop but I guess I would try the dealer like said if they don't have those sockets.. Good luck to that idiot let us know how he makes out lol...

Old 07-08-2010, 03:32 AM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
At my shop we've got every key known to man lol

And for the ones we don't.... we have an air chisel.

Old 07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I believe that's the McGard lock you got on there... those are the ones Nissan/Infiniti sells and puts on new cars.

You got a few options:
1. Find your McGard card (somehow I am doubtful you will)... on it there is a serial number, you can contact McGard and they will create a new key for you... keys are lock specific, so no one will have an identical one as you.
2. If you can't find the key and above doesn't work, then go to a shop which will hammer on a socket meant for removing nuts that have been rounded.

I had to get mine removed because one of these McGard nuts broke on me which then caused the key to break. I had to pay $10 per wheel and decided to not put new locks back on (I hate them, and my OEM wheels are not going to be stolen). New McGard set is $30-40 a set. If you ask me, the $10/wheel was too much (it was a 2 min job no joke...) but I learned my lesson.

Old 07-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Well I called nissan and they quoted me a half hour to remove them at like $13x an hour, so I bought 4 new lugs and will hammer off the locks tonight, or go to cambodian tire for some kind of removal socket.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I suppose the idiot (haha j/k) already looked in the trunk by the spare. IDK about 04 coupes but that's where the key is stored in the 07+ sedans. - P.S. don't tell anyone though.

Old 07-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just keep in mind that you may need an impact wrench to go with that nut removing socket.

Also you don't hammer them off... you hammer on the socket just so it sits tight, then use an impact wrench to screw the lock nut off.

I'd just drop by a shop and try to have them get it done (for example, I went to Firestone here). It's a shame that dealerships are so greedy, being TOTALLY ripped off like that makes me never want to deal with them.

A good nut removing socket might be pretty pricey and as far as I know they come in sets usually.

Old 07-09-2010, 12:21 AM
If you want I have a guy in Canmore that can do it for a case of Budweiser he works at Bens tires. Im another one of those idiots that lost his locking nut key about 4 weeks ago now.

If your interested send me a pm.

Geoff

Last edited by Jbean Green; 07-09-2010 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Added to
Old 07-09-2010, 12:22 AM
Yah, the key used to be in my glovebox but no longer.
Yah I was going to give a few shops a call tomorrow as I could not come across one of the removal sockets at cdn tire, as the mcgard sets they had were different keys. Otherwise I will just get a socket for a few dollars and see if I can hammer it onto all four and remove them. What an adventure this has turned out to be

Old 07-09-2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah, let me know how it turns out, I was going to do the ol' smash a socket on and remove but i figured a case of beer was cheaper and easier. It only took my buddy 10 minutes to remove them with the impact and the removal tool.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Received 311 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by bomberman447
Well I called nissan and they quoted me a half hour to remove them at like $13x an hour, so I bought 4 new lugs and will hammer off the locks tonight, or go to cambodian tire for some kind of removal socket.

So for $65.00 Nissan would do it??? That would be alot cheaper than buying removal sockets and screwing around with it yourself Unless it is a 1/2hr each

Old 07-09-2010, 08:44 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^+1

Old 07-10-2010, 10:46 AM
Well I picked up a set of the removal sockets at princess auto for like $5 so I will give those a try tonight with an impact wrench. I just dont have the time to get to the dealer before my appointment for the tires, otherwise I would have given that a higher consideration. I like how that was actually one of the lower estimates with canadian tire topping out at $105 as they wouldnt let me borrow one of their keys as I might break it.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:53 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Isn't that an OEM lock? Just buy a new lock set....done.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hypothetical Lock Nut Question