Canada Serving Canada.

exhaust sound/noise levels calgary

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
exhaust sound/noise levels calgary

So some st**p c**nt on my street filed a noise complaint sayin that my car produced to much noise in the morning when its warming up. Therefore i got a dam warning notice from bylaw

Has anyone had to deal with this in calgary?? If so what are the dB levels i was reading on the bylaw site that for a "continous sound" its has to be under 65 during the day and 50 at night.

What would my best options be to get around this, i dont wanna be paying more money to get my stock exhaust on?

If it comes to that i have resonated test pipes and i would like to match them up with a decent aftermarket y-pipe to keep the exotic sound the vq makes but have it a bit louder..

any recommendation? or opinions on what to do when the bylaw officer calls me back

thanks

Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
tell him to go f**k himself. the noise bylaw is around 90-something last i heard. hopefully swivel can chime in cause he knows more on the noise limit.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Right now there is no noise limit...it's whatever is 'objectionable'. Hard to believe an idling G would cause a noise complaint. Unless the stereo was turned up to 11.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:51 PM
no there was no sound turned on. the engine was cold so it was a bit deeper and louder then the usual warm engine i guess but not to the point where i need some dam warning.

Im not going to be paying any tickets for this. Its my property and its not like i was blasting music for hours and throwing a huge party.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
i just talked to the bylaw officer and it has nothing to do with dB levels. Just that the car is noisy and pretty much my word against the other persons. So technically if the person says it to loud in there mind then its to loud.

Which is complete ****en BS. and i know the person who did it is a f**ken joke or a human being and she will keep calling me in so my only thing to do is try keeping the car warm and not having it idle and then if i get another complain or warning or even better a retarded ticket back to stock it goes with new y-pipe and the resonated t-pipes...

any recommendations on decent y-pipes?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Let us know how it goes. There's someone on Kijiji selling a complete HR350Z exhaust, which includes a good Y-pipe.

Old 12-09-2010, 04:15 PM
what the difference between the 350z HR y-pipe and the g35 non HR pipe?

Old 12-09-2010, 04:34 PM
More than you ever wanted to know about HR Y-pipes here (it's mostly about sedans but also applies to coupes):

https://g35driver.com/forums/intake-...-2003-g35.html

I run one and it's fine, maybe tweaked the exhaust note a little but no other noticeable difference. Based on the design I mostly take it on faith that it flows better (HR on the right):

Old 12-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Eno
Received 219 Likes on 164 Posts
If it's not a noise complaint it'll be an idling complaint. I've heard tell that in some areas they only allow vehicles to idle for 3 minutes in temps higher than -23 or something? I think I was in Calgary when I heard that, actually... so she might just be one of those angry cat ladies. What I might do is contact by-law and get them to come and see how quiet your vehicle is. At least then they can disregard further complaints.

The thing is with our cars there is a resonance factor... it idles in a very low frequency and that sound really does seem to transition easily through walls a great distance. A friend of mine in Vic can actually hear me approach from her room on the other side of the house and believe me I'm not doing a time attack on my approach.

I had explored the option of resonators as well- up until I actually figured out what the problem was.

Your other option, admittedly more expensive, might be to get a turbo installed. Apparently that's a great way of reducing exhaust noises!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
If it's the warmup that's the issue, would using your block heater and the heated seat cut your time in the driveway to below the limit?

Gotta admit I like the look of the HR. Read though your posted link, well, pages 1, 6, 55, 57. So, what year 350z y pipe should I keep an eye out for? From what I read it'll fit easily on my 04c?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:43 PM
^^ 07/08. Yes, it's a direct bolt-on.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:28 AM
ya i know what you mean i thought the bylaw chick was gonna tell me that its exceeding some dB level so i was gonna go and get dB meter and ****en send them the info, but thats not the case.. i think the biggest thing was idle in the early morning before work which i understand in a way but i mean dont be a c*nt about it. and the bylaw chick was no help what so ever she didnt even want to listen to what i had to say.

hey swivel for the HR y-pipe there shouldnt be any fitment issues to the mid back on the coupe correct? also hows would the sound be with test pipes?? any ideas

Old 12-10-2010, 12:47 AM
Should be no fitment issues if you currently have none between your TP's, coupe Y and mid (which I assume is OEM?) since the basic dimensions are identical. Sound -- some say it's a little deeper/more mellow, but honestly not much different. Couldn't say for sure with TP's, I suspect the same small difference.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:55 AM
currently i have a complete true dual Top speed exhaust. so thats why i cant use the y that comes with it. i do have the complete stock exhaust in the garage tho but i dunno if the hr y will make such a huge difference compared to the stock coupe y i have.

so ya

Old 12-10-2010, 01:04 AM
Okay, sorry, didn't notice the true dual...completely different beast. Your stock exhaust plus HR Y will not flow like a TD.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: exhaust sound/noise levels calgary