Canada Serving Canada.

HKS Closed?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blain that dude was a ***... Its got nothing to with with hks or volk...

With refernece to the hks manifold or catback let's instead use the Apexi EXV coilovers. Made by Bor Chaun (BC) just like megan and now their house brand... Apexi costs more... Ummmm?? Wtf?

I like to use the SR20det turbo manifold example as well.. They are under $100 wholesale for unbranded versions.. That is after having been landed and cleared into the US. That means the initial importer is paying a FOB price of about $40-$60 per unit. I can do this if I want, I get emails from chinese companies everyweek who found me on ali-baba from a post I made in 2003.

The HKS unit has a wholesale cost for about $650 - $750... Are you going to tell me that the ~$550 price gap for me at a wholesale level is because one is a better grade of stainless?

With the hks catback the gap is less because each bears a large shipping cost burden on account of size. Still, it costs me about $1200 to get the hks and about $550 for the knock... The difference is not material spec.

Heck, other than the hks box and the logo on the tips that come separate from the catback you could not tell the difference between an hks and the knock. I supplied a client with the hks and to this day he thinks I supplied a knock. I couldn't fit the original box in a freaking minivan with the hks.. The knocks are packaged much more efficiently however

Last edited by Swivel; 08-22-2011 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Cleanup
Old 08-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh yes the eternal fake vs real discussion. The majority authentic items are indeed better quality and design. No question there. However, as far as an exhaust is concerned, there is no reason in the world for an exhaust to cost 1500$ apart from branding. Stainless pipes are stainless pipes. But you know what a sucker is born every minute. So if a company can peddle 1500$ exhaust to Infiniti guys, 3000$ exhaust to BMW guys and 350$ exhausts to Mitsubishi guys then why not hahaha. Material cost to them are the same.

I do not feel sorry for HKS at all. All their crap was overpriced like crazy to begin with. If they are indeed part of the scene then they should think about the people in the scene not inflate their prices as much as possible for their own profits. Cearly the us scene wasn't generating enough cash for them and they said who cares. I am not going to support manufacturers who cannot compete economically in a free market. It's a ridiculous thing to say as a consumer. Pay more cash for the same parts to support the manufacturer...that is truly funny hahahaha.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Received 350 Likes on 232 Posts
lets just all agree on one thing....God bless capitalism

Old 08-22-2011, 07:13 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
@Basha,
They were definitely first to design the CE28n in it's exact spoke specification in which Varrstoen blatantly ripped off... If it was a 10 spoke wheel and wasn't a dead copy of the CE28, then yes.

@Bing
Blain that dude was a ***... Its got nothing to with with hks or volk... It has to do with **** and the people who ARE ****... Authentic ****

Not sure what you mean here

With refernece to the hks manifold or catback let's instead use the Apexi EXV coilovers. Made by Bor Chaun (BC) just like megan and now their house brand... Apexi costs more... Ummmm?? Wtf?

You're talking cheap to cheap to cheaper. None of those companies have a notorious name like HKS or Volk has. Apexi has some what of a name but not even on the respect level of said comapnies (and don't get this twisted I hate volks and hate HKS)

I like to use the SR20det turbo manifold example as well.. They are under $100 wholesale for unbranded versions.. That is after having been landed and cleared into the US. That means the initial importer is paying a FOB price of about $40-$60 per unit. I can do this if I want, I get emails from chinese companies everyweek who found me on ali-baba from a post I made in 2003.

Always is, but HKS parts are made in Japan and are always a fantastic piece. Chinese stuff is off shore garbage made in poor casts.

The HKS unit has a wholesale cost for about $650 - $750... Are you going to tell me that the ~$550 price gap for me at a wholesale level is because one is a better grade of stainless?

No, I mean to tell you that they use quality materials, pay their employees properly and it DID cost them money to design their product.

With the hks catback the gap is less because each bears a large shipping cost burden on account of size. Still, it costs me about $1200 to get the hks and about $550 for the knock... The difference is not material spec.

Difference is quality and build location.... same reason I drive a G and not a Hyundai.

Heck, other than the hks box and the logo on the tips that come separate from the catback you could not tell the difference between an hks and the knock. I supplied a client with the hks and to this day he thinks I supplied a knock. I couldn't fit the original box in a freaking minivan with the hks.. The knocks are packaged much more efficiently however

You can tell the difference very easily I've identified multiple legit HKS exhausts for locals.

@megacrazy
Oh yes the eternal fake vs real discussion. The majority authentic items are indeed better quality and design. No question there. However, as far as an exhaust is concerned, there is no reason in the world for an exhaust to cost 1500$ apart from branding. Stainless pipes are stainless pipes. But you know what a sucker is born every minute. So if a company can peddle 1500$ exhaust to Infiniti guys, 3000$ exhaust to BMW guys and 350$ exhausts to Mitsubishi guys then why not hahaha. Material cost to them are the same.

Not understanding your point here, companies alter pricing because they know the target market. Go look up parts for a R35, carbon hood alone is $3k

I do not feel sorry for HKS at all. All their crap was overpriced like crazy to begin with. If they are indeed part of the scene then they should think about the people in the scene not inflate their prices as much as possible for their own profits. Cearly the us scene wasn't generating enough cash for them and they said who cares. I am not going to support manufacturers who cannot compete economically in a free market. It's a ridiculous thing to say as a consumer. Pay more cash for the same parts to support the manufacturer...that is truly funny hahahaha.

I just went through about 6 pages of this. The jackasses that buy fake **** are the ones that INFLATE THE PRICES. So when people like me that want to buy authentic **** go to do it, it's more money. They are only inflating price because they are selling less of the product due to knockoffs. Therefore, the guys that run fake **** are ****ing the scene and HKS is trying to keep their margins.

I agree often overpriced, but HKS is HKS because they've worked for it by not selling **** products. Ever heard of an HKS coming in fresh shipment with a sloppy weld or cracked exhaust canister? Nope, I've heard it about 150 times with the x02 though. You need to pay someone to look over the products before shipment. Replica companies do not do that.

Anyone that wants to can argue this, there is no winning you think fake I think real. Buy what you want but you're only ****ing yourself down the line.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:57 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Competition is one thing, ripping off someone's design and making bank on their hard work is not competition, it's not even capitalism, it's theft plain and simple. If HKS parts are too expensive, don't buy 'em -- nobody buys them, they go outta business. They make gobs of money, good on them, THAT is capitalism. For that reason I doubt you'll ever see serious ARC, Volks or Project Mu on my car, but neither will I buy knockoffs and say they are the real deal.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:14 AM
In addition to knock offs the ease with which used parts are procured and traded through forums, ebay, kijiji etc etc has a major impact on sales of new parts. I find that used parts are my primary competiton and my primary source for my personal cars... Again with some exceptions... Never ever buy a used turbo

We end users are so efficient at recycling parts I bet it has had a similar if not more impact than the knocks

Old 08-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Can't bring used parts into as they aren't competition for the original manufacture, they are merely old parts that are kicking around. The guys that buy new, have a choice, real or fake.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 AM
How bout that gray area. There's SO many manufacturers out there it's beginning to be more like, who's buying replica, who's buying budget, and who's buying high dollar parts. Probably should have said that in my first post. Example being my wheels, people could say they're a gullflame or advan rip, but they are just too different from either model to say it's a fake or copy. Its a budget piece. If they didn't exist I'd have bought used. The same manufacturer makes many similar wheels to big companies, but nothing as blatant as something like a Varr. Id just as soon ruin (as I am) a cheap wheel as opposed to a high dollar piece or a nice, rare used piece. In all there's just so many avenues a consumer can go now, somethings gotta give.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:49 AM
I am talking products that are marketed as "xxxx replica" Be it the xo2 exhaust, varrstoen wheels etc. The **** that sorta looks like because they have 6 spokes 18" in diameter and happen to be round isn't ruled in with my opinion. It's **** like when you search for an HKS exhaust the xo2 comes up...

Old 08-23-2011, 01:16 AM
Yeah I'm going to side with you there. Ive got a serious hate on for people who say their **** is authentic when it isnt as well. Bad news bears.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Quick q....

For the guys that are against fake parts, does that include too?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:32 AM
^ fake boobies are not trying to imitate anything but a better form of self....

Old 08-23-2011, 11:50 AM
Have you squeezed them though? Something just isn't right.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:05 PM
They can only try....

Old 08-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4DGS
@Basha,
They were definitely first to design the CE28n in it's exact spoke specification in which Varrstoen blatantly ripped off... If it was a 10 spoke wheel and wasn't a dead copy of the CE28, then yes.

@Bing
Blain that dude was a ***... Its got nothing to with with hks or volk... It has to do with **** and the people who ARE ****... Authentic ****

Not sure what you mean here

You're talking cheap to cheap to cheaper. None of those companies have a notorious name like HKS or Volk has. Apexi has some what of a name but not even on the respect level of said comapnies (and don't get this twisted I hate volks and hate HKS)

Always is, but HKS parts are made in Japan and are always a fantastic piece. Chinese stuff is off shore garbage made in poor casts.

No, I mean to tell you that they use quality materials, pay their employees properly and it DID cost them money to design their product.

Difference is quality and build location.... same reason I drive a G and not a Hyundai.

You can tell the difference very easily I've identified multiple legit HKS exhausts for locals.

@megacrazy

Not understanding your point here, companies alter pricing because they know the target market. Go look up parts for a R35, carbon hood alone is $3k

I just went through about 6 pages of this. The jackasses that buy fake **** are the ones that INFLATE THE PRICES. So when people like me that want to buy authentic **** go to do it, it's more money. They are only inflating price because they are selling less of the product due to knockoffs. Therefore, the guys that run fake **** are ****ing the scene and HKS is trying to keep their margins.

I agree often overpriced, but HKS is HKS because they've worked for it by not selling **** products. Ever heard of an HKS coming in fresh shipment with a sloppy weld or cracked exhaust canister? Nope, I've heard it about 150 times with the x02 though. You need to pay someone to look over the products before shipment. Replica companies do not do that.

Anyone that wants to can argue this, there is no winning you think fake I think real. Buy what you want but you're only ****ing yourself down the line.
The point is you should use your head when making the decision to buy a part. If you think you're getting quality because you buy a brand name you're screwing yourself down the line not the other way around. A pipe is a pipe no matter who makes it. If you prefer to spend more on it, you're just screwing yourself out of money. Nothing else.

As far as . I only buy authentic

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: HKS Closed?