Canada Serving Canada.

Bliizzard headed for Halifax

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-26-2004, 04:35 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Bliizzard headed for Halifax

Yikes, we're supposed to have anywhere from 30 to 50 cm of snow in next 18 hours depending on which source you use. Winds of 60 gusting to 90k tonight and tomorrow should make for lots of drifts and some fun driving (in my jeep). Got some gas for the snowblower- all ready to go.
D__n, I knew I shouldn't have been bragging about this warm weather we've been having. Guess the lawn is about to change colour.

RBull

Old 12-26-2004, 06:32 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Batten down the hatches bro, and stay home if you can. It lasted about a day here and dumped about 10-12" of snow. It was fast and furious for a day, but then cleared nicely after and is expected to be warmer and drier this week.
This short storm caused a hell of a traffic issue (both on the ground and in the air) for about a day.

Take care and G/L
C.

Old 12-26-2004, 07:12 PM
Rated M

Thanks GSM. I'll post what we get. Right now they've upped this thing to 50+ centimetres tonight and tomorrow morning on the weather network and elsewhere. I've got enough beer to last for a few days!

Old 12-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take pictures!!! I wanna see how high the snow gets to.

Old 01-01-2005, 09:32 AM
Rated M

blizzard pics

Hey Wolfster, Here's a few pics I took. We only ended up with about 40cm of snow so it wasn't anything too bad. The worst was the 100km winds. Sorry it took a while but I just got this new camera for Christmas and it's taken me a while to sit down and figure some of this new technology out. I'm not sure what they're going to look like as I had to play around with them to reduce the file size a lot. Unfortunately I'm not one of those techno wizards like GSM.

Attached Thumbnails Bliizzard headed for Halifax-img_0002.jpg   Bliizzard headed for Halifax-img_0005.jpg   Bliizzard headed for Halifax-img_0009.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 11:06 AM
Rated M

blizzard comparison

This one gives a comparison of our "White Juan" blizzard last February. We had no snow on the ground before this one 24 hour dump of 88.5 centimetres. David Phillips- Environment Canada's chief meteoroloigist said it is the largest city to ever that much snow in one day!
The shot shows the end of my driveway and my jeep on the street after the plow made one pass allowing me to get it home 3 days after the storm hit.
A once in a lifetime snow dump.
RBull

Attached Thumbnails Bliizzard headed for Halifax-white-juan1_1_1_1.jpg  
Old 01-01-2005, 04:35 PM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
Hey Wolfster, Here's a few pics I took. We only ended up with about 40cm of snow so it wasn't anything too bad. The worst was the 100km winds. Sorry it took a while but I just got this new camera for Christmas and it's taken me a while to sit down and figure some of this new technology out. I'm not sure what they're going to look like as I had to play around with them to reduce the file size a lot. Unfortunately I'm not one of those techno wizards like GSM.
Haha, I've got my 'manuals' at hand too bro, no worries. This T/W would be lost without them.

That's about what we got in total over 2 days, not too bad. A bit of a back breaker, tho, all at once.

.......and then the plow comes by........&*^&%$&*(

........you get that done ..and the plow comes back...*&^*&(&^%&^&&^%

........Such is life in the 'Great White North'.

Glad you came away relatively 'unscathed'.
I haven't talked to my buddy in Lunenburg yet, but he'll have similar conditions.

Happy New Year bro, and thanks for the pics. You did it like a pro.

Colin

Old 01-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Rated M

Hey Colin
Quit stroking me; you're giving me more courage to keep trying some more technology stuff! I know only enough to be dangerous. I'd like to figure out how to put a pic of my car by my signature or a link to my profile with the pic there. That may be beyond my novice reach though!!
Yeah, we got through that storm a lot easier than I thought.
You're right about the plows though. This time I left the driveway until Tuesday morning after the storm Sunday and Monday and the final plow pass and then fired up the Craftsman. I was still a bit sore though as I ended up doing 5 driveways that morning/afternoon along with mine and several others that are pretty big. My wife encouraged me to go do the last one for an older East Indian guy who was out there in his dress pants and dress shoes/no gloves shovelling!
Your buddy in Lunenburg is probably in about the same mess we were. In case you haven't been there it's an absolutley beautiful town. I know a few people there too.
Thanks again for the feedback.... I got a good chuckle!

RBull

Old 01-01-2005, 06:51 PM
O.F. Administrator
Hey Colin
Quit stroking me; you're giving me more courage to keep trying some more technology stuff! I know only enough to be dangerous. I'd like to figure out how to put a pic of my car by my signature or a link to my profile with the pic there. That may be beyond my novice reach though!!
Yeah, we got through that storm a lot easier than I thought.
You're right about the plows though. This time I left the driveway until Tuesday morning after the storm Sunday and Monday and the final plow pass and then fired up the Craftsman. I was still a bit sore though as I ended up doing 5 driveways that morning/afternoon along with mine and several others that are pretty big. My wife encouraged me to go do the last one for an older East Indian guy who was out there in his dress pants and dress shoes/no gloves shovelling!
Your buddy in Lunenburg is probably in about the same mess we were. In case you haven't been there it's an absolutley beautiful town. I know a few people there too.
Thanks again for the feedback.... I got a good chuckle!

RBull
Hey bro,

To put a pic or link in your sig just go into 'User CP' (User Control Panel) (top left of most pages) to bring up a whole raft of choices for editing.
In this case it'll be 'edit signature' and 'edit profile pic'. Both of these you can Browse your computer. There is a size restriction tho, so some resizing may be needed.

I'm not sure what GodZilla (Kyle) has turned on or off. He is changing the settup with regards to sigs and avatars to reduce space used so you may not have access to those options. Give it a try.

Let me know how you do, and holler if I can help some more.

C.

Old 01-01-2005, 07:25 PM
Rated M

better driver than nerd

Hey bro,

To put a pic or link in your sig just go into 'User CP' (User Control Panel) (top left of most pages) to bring up a whole raft of choices for editing.
In this case it'll be 'edit signature' and 'edit profile pic'. Both of these you can Browse your computer. There is a size restriction tho, so some resizing may be needed.

I'm not sure what GodZilla (Kyle0 has turned on or off. He is changing the settup with regards to sigs and avatars to reduce space used so you may not have access to those options. Give it a try.

Let me know how you do, and holler if I can help some more.

C.

Thanks Bro. I managed to figure some stuff out getting my sig on here and changing font and colours etc. Subsequently I was into both of these areas (sig and profile) in my UCP before but there did not seem to be anything that allowed me to bowse my computer, only insert a hyperlink or email link- not browse or insert object etc. I was also into the avatar but that was shut off for me.
If there is something I seem to be missing let me know otherwise I can live without it if it's too much trouble.

Cheers
Deane

Old 01-01-2005, 07:43 PM
O.F. Administrator
Thanks Bro. I managed to figure some stuff out getting my sig on here and changing font and colours etc. Subsequently I was into both of these areas (sig and profile) in my UCP before but there did not seem to be anything that allowed me to bowse my computer, only insert a hyperlink or email link- not browse or insert object etc. I was also into the avatar but that was shut off for me.
If there is something I seem to be missing let me know otherwise I can live without it if it's too much trouble.

Cheers
Deane
Ahhhhhh, then if you've found the sites for editing and there is no facility to edit or browse, then Kyle has them turned off for now until he decides what to allow.
He'll announce something on the subject this month I would think.

Colin

Old 01-01-2005, 08:16 PM
Rated M

Ahhhhhh, then if you've found the sites for editing and there is no facility to edit or browse, then Kyle has them turned off for now until he decides what to allow.
He'll announce something on the subject this month I would think.

Colin
Thanks for the quick response Colin. It sounds like I'm not missing anything here and I'm feeling a bit more confident around this site everyday!
If there is an opportunity to have a pic or two that would be great but I'll just have to wait. Perhaps that will be one of the benefits of the proposed "premium" members. I need to get some better shots taken anyhow with my new camera and that will have to wait till the spring in any event.

Regards
Deane