Canada Serving Canada.

The Weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2005 | 10:43 PM
|
Administrator
The Weather

Wow. Crazy weather lately. Even in Canada.

Here in Edmonton, it keeps going from warm (close to 0 C) temps where the roads get slushy (and our Gs filthy) to -20 C and below in less than a day. The big windstorm in December resulted in lots of damage and as most of you may have heard, the death of a fellow that was wind boarding who was unexpectedly caught in the gusts.

Saw the new this evening with the cars in Vancouver sliding backwards down-hill on the icy roads. (Any of you Vancouverites drive your Gs today?)

Hope this year's weather isn't going to be a trend.

Old 01-07-2005 | 02:06 AM
Hey Gord,
Yeah the weather here sucks, I hate winter time. Next week its supposed to be around -30C, so stay warm. Hope you have been well.

Old 01-07-2005 | 07:31 AM
Traveling Administrator
Pretty much the same type of weather here on the east coast also. I think everything snow storm we have had this year so far has ended with rain.

Old 01-07-2005 | 08:30 AM
Well, this is Canada, eh! If we didn't have the driveways to shovel or windows to scrape, we would probably be stuck washing and detailing our cars (In our dreams)
I do get a bit jealous sometimes when I am reading the regional boards from Cali. and other areas, but then we would be complaining about the rain like they are (I could take a rain right now with 65f temps).
After saying that I still love Canada
Wayne.

Old 01-07-2005 | 08:36 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
It's hard to get used to winter when the temp keeps rising & falling like this.
The one benefit is that we get some good car washing weather in the middle of winter

Old 01-07-2005 | 08:40 AM
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
It's hard to get used to winter when the temp keeps rising & falling like this.
The one benefit is that we get some good car washing weather in the middle of winter
True.The car got a treat a few days ago and I hand washed the G in the driveway.

Old 01-07-2005 | 12:37 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Same thing out here on the East Coast. Warm days turn quickly into cold ones and vice versa. Much of our snow from last weeks blizzard is gone now with some higher temps and rain since. Overall it's definitley been warmer than usual here. We have had some crazy stuff though in the past 18 months with Hurricane Juan, White Juan and last week. It's been extremely windy overe the past 3 months too.
My baby is sleeping for the winter but I still have the pleasure (labour of love) of a couple of other vehicles to wash in the winter. It drives me crazy though not having my G at home here to look at or work on.
Canuck, you must see a lot of salt on the roads too. InTigr8r, I thought you had your G stored too. Gord, are there a lot of G's in Edmonton and how is that thing in the snow and the colder weather the West is famous for?( I used to live in Winnipeg) Gee35x, I have to agree about living in Canada. We sometimes complain but I really do look forward to the changing of the seasons. How does the x work in slippery stuff? Biscotti, greetings- just dig in there and hibernate for a few months my friend.
47 days without the G now, only 100 more sleeps to go.

Cheers

Old 01-07-2005 | 12:45 PM
RBull-the X is awesome in the snow, even more so with the Blizzak WS-50 tires for winter. It is nice to store your cars though , I used to store one of my cars and it was always such a treat to bring it home in the Spring, but sad to tuck it away for the winter.
I have a 4x4 Z71 also and I find I now take the X out all the time in the snow unless it is just sloppy out.
Wayne

Old 01-07-2005 | 01:14 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Hey Wayne, that's cool you've got two great machines that can match all of the elements. I'm not surprised to hear the GX works real awesome.
My other ride is a Grand Cherokee Limited with the Quadra Drive- L.Slip front and rear diffs which work well. Much better than my Dakota c/cab 4x4.
The difference you have with the G is those great tires too, so it must be fantastic and without all the sloppiness of a truck or SUV! We had arctic alpins on my wife's TL last year and they were awesome but had a strange whine - like a plane taking off at between 70-100km/h.

Deane

Old 01-07-2005 | 02:31 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
Same thing out here on the East Coast. Warm days turn quickly into cold ones and vice versa. Much of our snow from last weeks blizzard is gone now with some higher temps and rain since. Overall it's definitley been warmer than usual here. We have had some crazy stuff though in the past 18 months with Hurricane Juan, White Juan and last week. It's been extremely windy overe the past 3 months too.
My baby is sleeping for the winter but I still have the pleasure (labour of love) of a couple of other vehicles to wash in the winter. It drives me crazy though not having my G at home here to look at or work on.
Canuck, you must see a lot of salt on the roads too. InTigr8r, I thought you had your G stored too. Gord, are there a lot of G's in Edmonton and how is that thing in the snow and the colder weather the West is famous for?( I used to live in Winnipeg) Gee35x, I have to agree about living in Canada. We sometimes complain but I really do look forward to the changing of the seasons. How does the x work in slippery stuff? Biscotti, greetings- just dig in there and hibernate for a few months my friend.
47 days without the G now, only 100 more sleeps to go.

Cheers

Yep, no shortage of salt on the roads here!! Also, some of roads around where I live have so much sand put on them that you would think you are driving on a dirt road!

Old 01-08-2005 | 01:51 AM
|
Administrator
Gord, are there a lot of G's in Edmonton and how is that thing in the snow and the colder weather the West is famous for?( I used to live in Winnipeg)
Of course, when I got my G35 back in May 2002, few Gs were spotted for almost a year. I used to have ppl come up to me to chat about the G almost every 2 days or so. Funny, it still happens once in a while.

Since the word got out that the G is such a great deal for the dollar, more and more are seen, especially over the past 6 months or so. I usually see one or two on a daily basis driving to and from work. But that may be exceptional because of my commute route, and since my office overlooks the Infiniti Dealer. Most of the G35 Coupes seem to be driven by drivers in their late 40s and 50s, and very few in their 20s.

My G's been great in the cold weather, and with my Blizzak LM-18s, no real problem with traction, except one time when I was stopped on an icy hill polished by traffic spinning and polishing the road with their tires.

There are some occasions where I would have preferred a G35x, but I'm happy with my original model G!

Originally Posted by biscotti
Hey Gord,
Yeah the weather here sucks, I hate winter time. Next week its supposed to be around -30C, so stay warm. Hope you have been well.
Hope you had a good Holiday Season as well, and didn't work too hard!

I just wish we could settle at about 10 C so I didn't have to wash the car all the time. With deep freeze temps, we can't even go out to enjoy the outdoor activities like skating, etc. I'm lighting a fire and 'cocooning' this W/E if I can.

Old 01-08-2005 | 10:09 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by gordgee
Of course, when I got my G35 back in May 2002, few Gs were spotted for almost a year. I used to have ppl come up to me to chat about the G almost every 2 days or so. Funny, it still happens once in a while.

Since the word got out that the G is such a great deal for the dollar, more and more are seen, especially over the past 6 months or so. I usually see one or two on a daily basis driving to and from work. But that may be exceptional because of my commute route, and since my office overlooks the Infiniti Dealer. Most of the G35 Coupes seem to be driven by drivers in their late 40s and 50s, and very few in their 20s.

My G's been great in the cold weather, and with my Blizzak LM-18s, no real problem with traction, except one time when I was stopped on an icy hill polished by traffic spinning and polishing the road with their tires.

There are some occasions where I would have preferred a G35x, but I'm happy with my original model G!

Hope you had a good Holiday Season as well, and didn't work too hard!

I just wish we could settle at about 10 C so I didn't have to wash the car all the time. With deep freeze temps, we can't even go out to enjoy the outdoor activities like skating, etc. I'm lighting a fire and 'cocooning' this W/E if I can.

I don't see many G35s at all where I live....at least not yet. There isn't a single Infiniti dealership in New Brunswick, so that is keeping the number of G35s on the road down around here. I hope it stays that way!

Old 01-08-2005 | 10:42 AM
Rated M
Premier Member
Gord, there doesn't seem to be the same growth in the number of Infiniti cars around here, especially the coupe. I don't know exact numbers but I would say there are about a half dozen coupes here in Halifax/Dartmouth- maybe 25 sedans. That's fine by me. I have the same observation here in this area on age. I'm in the low end of that scale myself. This web site makes me think most of the US guys are 20-25 years old.

It's pretty hilly with lots of slippery freeze thaw around here so the rear drive sports car thing would be a tough go. I've got a good hill close to my home that has to be negotiated every day I'm out so the storage thing suits me fine!

Canuck, did you meet the Infiniti sales manager Hugh Fitzgerald when you bought? I just found out yesterday he died Christmas eve- had a headache, went to bed and never woke up. I knew him reasonably well as he was a customer in my former job. 35 years old, great shape and the son of former Halifax mayor Walter Fitzgerald. Pretty shocking.

Old 01-08-2005 | 11:32 AM
Traveling Administrator
Gord, there doesn't seem to be the same growth in the number of Infiniti cars around here, especially the coupe. I don't know exact numbers but I would say there are about a half dozen coupes here in Halifax/Dartmouth- maybe 25 sedans. That's fine by me. I have the same observation here in this area on age. I'm in the low end of that scale myself. This web site makes me think most of the US guys are 20-25 years old.

It's pretty hilly with lots of slippery freeze thaw around here so the rear drive sports car thing would be a tough go. I've got a good hill close to my home that has to be negotiated every day I'm out so the storage thing suits me fine!

Canuck, did you meet the Infiniti sales manager Hugh Fitzgerald when you bought? I just found out yesterday he died Christmas eve- had a headache, went to bed and never woke up. I knew him reasonably well as he was a customer in my former job. 35 years old, great shape and the son of former Halifax mayor Walter Fitzgerald. Pretty shocking.
Wow, that is terrible....really young too! I actually didn't buy my G from O'reagans. I bought it used from Mapleleaf Nissan in Saint John with 21k on it

Old 01-08-2005 | 08:12 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Weather's the pits here too Gord. Blustery, snowy, very windy, (not as cold as the West tho) and here I am: P/C down for 2 days.......UGGGGGG

Come on Spring..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Weather