Canada Serving Canada.

Type Of Fuel Used Poll/Inquiry

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 03:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Type Of Fuel Used Poll/Inquiry

Hey guys,

Its Mr. Richmond hill here..to date I have only filled up w/ Esso Supreme Gas, my Gas Station of choice for various reasons etc. anyhow today I used Sunocos highest Grade(94 octane) I believe, and I dont know if my experience or thoughts was psycological but it seemed like I was getting increased acceleration, and a better Growl noice from the exhaust, and I noticed this most of course when hitting high speeds on the 407ETR. I don't know the car just felt smoother, quicker, and even sounded better. Is this me or is it really the gas? I need some unbiased reliable & Credible info here. what do you guys have to say about this? Is Sunocos highest grade 94 octane gas necessarily better than Esso supreme gas which I believe is 92 or 93 octane man?????

03G35c+5AT+Brilliant Silver+18'Performance Package+NAVI - MODIFICATIONS like most of you guys are so in to on this forum! Im not a Mod Person..

Old 01-29-2005, 10:19 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I always use 91 when I buy in my town (that is the highest available where I live). But when I am out of town I always get Sunoco 94. I never notice any difference. I did the same with my last vehicle also. In my opinion, I believe your ecu compensates for different octanes of gas that you use, and I would think it takes at least a full tank before it will fully adjust to the different octane levels and where you would notice.
BUT, I am one of those people that always feel like my car runs better when it is clean and has a fresh coat of wax .
Wayne

Old 01-29-2005, 10:40 AM
SouthernComfort Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I was forced to fill up with Shell plus the other day, the medium octane type.
The Bast**ds were out of premium. I noticed no difference, beside the fact
that my wallet was heavier after filling up. It might be physological? [That's psychological!]

Old 01-29-2005, 05:56 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I use Petro-Can gas being a patriotic Canuck (and oh yeh, the petro-points ) which seems to run well in my Coupe.

Old 01-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've also tried an bottle of octane booster in the car in the summer. Didn't notice any difference.

In winter, since the temps are colder and I'm gentler on the gas anyway, so I usually use mid-grade gas and don't notice any difference.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:01 AM
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had my G35X since last May and have only been putting in Sunoco Ultra 94

Old 01-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
You don't need to use any higher than that recommended by Infiniti (assuming your engine is stock)

Old 01-31-2005, 01:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gordgee
I've also tried an bottle of octane booster in the car in the summer. Didn't notice any difference.

In winter, since the temps are colder and I'm gentler on the gas anyway, so I usually use mid-grade gas and don't notice any difference.
used a bottle booster once on another car as well... also didn't notice a difference. so i would say... it's mostly psychological.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:21 PM
I always use Sunoco 94. It is only a penny more than the supreme (gold) at other gas stations but you get 3 more octanes (94 vs 91). In the past, I sometimes use ESSO until they change their gold from 92 to 91 octane. They handed out some lame pamphlet explaining the change was to help serve us better indicating most performance cars do not need 92. I don't understand how dropping an octane and charging the same price serves us better.

In terms of performance, I doubt the 94 octane makes any difference on the G35. In fact, some articles indicate not to go beyond the car's recommended grade. If your car cannot burn all the octanes, it leaves a residual. However, I still use the 94 anyways. My stock engine Miata has been feeding on 94 octane for over 10 years without any problems.

Has anyone experimented with EPA from different gas stations (ie. Shell/ Petro/ Sunco/ ESSO)? I noticed some gas stations give better mileage. It has nothing to do with octane. I think it is the different additives they put in it.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:42 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Irving 91 octane. That's the best octane available here in Atlantic Canada. Also I'm no tree hugger but Irving has the cleanest burning fuel.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:10 PM
I only use 87 octane since the manual said the required octane number is 87. It also said 89 or 91 is the RECOMMENDED fuel.

I talk to the service manager and the sales manager of my dealer and both said you DON'T need to put in 89 or 91. You do, however, will lose only a few horsepower. You have to decide if the extra 10-15 % increase in cost of fuel is justifiable for the small increase in horsepower.

So I decided to only use 89 or 91 if I fill like some WOT driving for a while. It does take a couple to tanks for the engine to adapt to the new fuel.

Old 02-01-2005, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've only used Sunoco 94 in all my cars I've owned.

I have been told the the type of driving will determine what gas you should use. For example if you are doing alot of hwy driving, stick to a lower octane rating where as driving alot of short trips in and around town you would use a higher rating.

Kind of makes sense to me. I figure that the fuel burns at a higher temp(?) for fuel having a higher octane rating thus better in the city.

35BILLS

Old 02-02-2005, 02:24 PM
the octane rating is, scientifically, a measure of the capability for the fuel to avoid premature detonation in the cylinder. if you don't experience it then you can go with a lower octane of fuel. however, in the hot summer months, or on a track, where your engine is being worked a lot harder, a higher octane is recommend.

granted, all of our cars have anti-knock sensors that will retard the engine to avoid knocking, but preventing it in the first place ia always a good option.

i use 91 octane in the winter, and switch to sunoco in the summer.

Old 02-02-2005, 03:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
octane definetly makes a difference with our 3.5 V6 engines....i believe motortrend did a dyno on a 350z and made 5 hp more running 100 octane compared to the recomended 91 = )

Old 02-02-2005, 05:30 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Wondering if you could find that story and post for the group.

Cheers,
Derek

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Type Of Fuel Used Poll/Inquiry