Canada Serving Canada.

M35, M45 Report Toronto Star

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 08:49 AM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
M35, M45 Report Toronto Star

Just a heads up folks(GSM), there is a full page report on the M by Jim Kenzie in today's Toronto Star (Jan29) Wheel Section. Hope it's ok to post article ,it's long. You have to check the paper to see the pics.
Check it out,
Wayne

Infiniti shows the others how to do it
M35 and M45 aims at 5 Series, S-Type, A6

Costs less than its competition, as well

JIM KENZIE

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz.—Nissan's upscale Infiniti brand got off to a rocky start 15 years ago. Its initial ad campaign showed no cars, just a pitch man walking through bucolic scenery with rocks, trees and carefully-raked gravel, trying to fabricate some kind of zen-like mysticism about the brand name.

As Jay Leno said at the time, it didn't do anything for the sales of cars, but rocks, trees and gravel were up 25 per cent.

After a decade and a half of getting their butts kicked by Lexus, Infiniti has finally figured out that it really is all about the product.

The entry-level G35 is, in my view, the best sports sedan yet out of Japan, and the market seems to agree. That car has been largely responsible for the fact that at least in Canada, Infiniti is running neck-and-neck with Lexus in sales, and ahead of such legendary marques as Audi, Jaguar, Lincoln and even, surprisingly, Cadillac.

The next entry in Infiniti's product offensive arrives in mid-February. The mid-size M35/45 is aimed directly at the European hearts of the BMW 5 Series, Audi A6 and Jaguar S-Type, as well as country-mates Acura RL and Lexus GS, plus Cadillac's CTS.

The M is based on an updated version of the FR platform — Front-engine, Rear-wheel drive — also used by the 350Z, FX Crossover and the G35. Some 60 per cent of the underbody components are new or revised compared to the G35, with a longer wheelbase, 30 per cent greater torsional rigidity and lighter weight being the major advances.

The M has aluminum hood, deck lid and door structures, the latter items being 22 per cent lighter than those on the G models.

Infiniti says the lines of the M are intended to be "awe-inspiring" and "vibrant," according to Ian Forsyth, Nissan Canada's product planning director, with "artistic gestures created to inspire the exterior and interior style."

Well, hang on there, Ian, let's not get too carried away.

Opinion among the assembled scribes at the press preview was somewhat less rapturous. The M is professionally done and handsome, and those headlights, with their Gatling gun-like little circles around the periphery, are cool.

The question is: Is it striking enough to make an impression on the street? Say what you will about the BMW 5 Series (any new BMW, actually), you can't ignore it.

While the M is actually some 109 mm shorter overall than the outgoing M, the wheelbase is 102 mm longer, resulting not only in an athletic wheels-to-the-corners look, but also significantly improved cabin space, especially in the rear seat.

Infiniti claims the largest interior volume in its competitive set, although I'm not sure the visual impact of the car truly advertises this fact.

One place where the M does have the BMW soundly thrashed is the interior. Whether you choose the matte-finished rosewood trim, or the brushed aluminum trim, the Infiniti is a vastly more attractive, better finished environment, made from much higher quality materials.

Vastly more ergonomic too. While Infiniti doesn't specifically mention BMW's infamous mouse-like iDrive controller, by which you're supposed to be able to fly a BMW to the moon, they do profess that the M's Human Machine Interface — which also includes a rotating controller — is easier, simpler and more intuitive.

It could hardly be worse than iDrive, could it? And it isn't. Everything I wanted to do on the M — change a CD, advance a track, crank up the volume, switch on the A/C — I just did it.

Piece of cake.

This is all helped by the fact that there are dedicated controls for audio and HVAC, so you're not forced to use the controller.

The M also offers such advanced interior technology as Bluetooth-capable cellphone connectivity, a TV-screen rear-view camera for safer reversing, DVD-based navigation with Nissan's unique and really cool bird's-view option, keyless entry with push-button ignition, and Bose sound systems, topped by a truly sensational 308-watt, 14-speaker, digital 5.1 Studio Surround system, with DVD audio and video front and rear (the front screen being disabled while on the move, of course). You really have to hear this cranked way up to believe it.

As the model names suggest, two engines are offered.

The M35 has the familiar 3.5-litre V6, long regarded as one of the world's finest automotive powerplants, generating in this application 280 horsepower at 6,200 r.p.m. and 270 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,800 r.p.m.

The M45 uses the 4.5-litre V8 adapted from the larger M45 and FX45, to produce 335 horsepower at 6,400 r.p.m. and 340 lb.-ft. of torque at 4,000 r.p.m.

Both engines are mated to a five-speed automatic with a new manual override shifter, which promises faster operation, automatic throttle-blipping to match revs for smoother downshifts and adaptability to adjust shift speed to your driving style. Like Porsche's and Audi's Tiptronic, it will also hold a lower gear when you lift off on the throttle, to reduce the tendency for the car to become unsettled in quick bends.

Nissan's sophisticated ATTESA-ET four-wheel drive system can distribute driving force to either axle in any proportion, from 0 per cent to 100 per cent front-to-rear to 100 to 0, as determined by what must be a pretty smart computer. It also offers a snow switch, which remaps the electronic throttle for less aggressive operation, to help reduce wheelspin in slippery conditions.

The four-wheel drive is available only with the V6 for now. Infiniti says it's largely a marketing issue; obviously the hardware works on the similarly-underpinned V8-powered FX45, unless perhaps there's a clearance issue with the M's lower-slung sedan body.

The M45 does offer a Sport package, which brings sportier suspension tuning, larger (19-inch) wheels and tires, and rear-active steer, which can turn the rear wheels up to one degree, in-phase or counter-phase, depending on need. This is a high-speed stability function; it does not make parking any easier.

My first test mount was an M45 with the Sport package. The big V8 is very strong and sounds terrific. The transmission shifts seamlessly, although I didn't notice that it was learning my driving style quite as quickly as I had been led to believe.

The suspension works very well. Without back-to-back on/off testing on a track, it's hard to say whether the rear-wheel steering is doing anything. But the car stays dead-flat even in hard corners, grip levels are very high and the car feels well-planted and stable no matter what you do. The steering could use more feel.

Next up was an M35X, the latter signifying the four-wheel drive option. The most significant finding was how little the acceleration seemed to suffer with the smaller engine and heavier weight of the chassis. A stopwatch would surely tell a tale, but who drives around with a stopwatch? Why would you buy an M35 instead of a mechanically similar G35? Interior room would be my first answer. It's not only the larger back seat, but the wider front cabin that answers one of the few substantive criticisms of the G. The interior is more conventionally classy too.

A scarier concern for Infiniti is that with the M45, there really is no reason to consider the so-called flagship of the line, the big Q45, a car I've never really warmed up to.

A happier thought for Infiniti is that the M appears to be very competitively priced against its vaunted competition. You'd have to go down the equipment lists with a fine-toothed comb to make sure you're comparing equivalent vehicles, but even the base M35 is well-kitted, with the keyless entry, back-up monitor, Bluetooth, adaptive (see-around-corners) Xenon headlights and a 234-watt Bose sound system. And it's just $54,000, which is $9,500 less than a base Lexus GS 300 and a stunning $12,600 less than a BMW 530i.

The M35X with four-wheel drive, expected to be the best-seller in Canada, is $58,300, some $8,900 less than an Audi A6.

Various equipment packages can raise the M's price, but so can similar actions on those other cars. Toss in the Entertainment Package (the Bose 5.1 Surround Sound system and DVD video system) and the Premium Package (navigation, intelligent cruise control, lane departure warning, power heated rear seats) and you're still $3,500 under an Acura RL.

The M45 at $64,400 is $8,100 less than an Audi A6 V8, $10,300 less than a Lexus GS 430 V8 and $13,300 less than a BMW 545 V8.

Wow.

True, some of those other brands have strong resale values, which may help them quote more competitive leasing rates, a very important factor in this snack bracket.

But if those other guys aren't just a little bit worried yet, they should be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by GEE35FX; 01-29-2005 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:58 AM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dynamite post G35X.
This was a rave review for the M and Infiniti overall. Nissan's luxury seems to be a continued path of building great cars and market share.

Old 01-29-2005, 05:49 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks for the headsup Wayne. Good review, altho I thought it deserved better than page 12? was it.
Kenzie is a veteran and a fair shaker, so it's comforting to know he's impressed.

Old 01-29-2005, 07:58 PM
Rated M

C
Did you read the Feb issue of Car & Driver. Good review on the 45 sport.

d

Old 01-30-2005, 12:45 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by RBull
C
Did you read the Feb issue of Car & Driver. Good review on the 45 sport.

d
Deane,
It's now on my shopping list....TNX I'll also check their website to see if it's posted yet.
C.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:22 PM
Rated M

here's some highlights

Originally Posted by gsedanman
Deane,
It's now on my shopping list....TNX I'll also check their website to see if it's posted yet.
C.
after driving the V8 they said- if you've got it flaunt it
0-60 5.6
1/4 14.2 @101
It would certainly give the G a run and then some!

Old 01-30-2005, 04:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
after driving the V8 they said- if you've got it flaunt it
0-60 5.6
1/4 14.2 @101
It would certainly give the G a run and then some!
Deane......
...Which are stout numbers for sure.....I've seen even more optimistic numbers in the realm of 5.3 0-60, and sub 14 second 1/4 mile.
Rumours are rampant, but it sounds like a real honkin' ride, so to speak, with a 'splash' of luxury.

Won't be long b4 they will be in, and I'll know final pricing and options.
My twin brother Terry is buying my Coupe, so things are moving along nicely.
C.

Last edited by Msedanman; 01-31-2005 at 02:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2005, 05:49 PM
Rated M

that's great news

Deane......
...Which are stout numbers for sure.....I've seen even more optimistic numbers in the realm of 5.3 0-60, and sub 14 second 1/4 mile.
Rumours are rampent, but it sounds like a real honkin' ride, so to speak, with a 'splash' of luxury.

Won't be long b4 they will be in, and I'll know final pricing and options.
My twin brother Terry is buying my Coupe, so things are moving along nicely.
C.
C
How convenient you have a twin that also has the same style!
Yes the review was quite positive overall. They liked the way it moved off the line for a 4000+ car and also said it was very powerful and quiet passing at highway speeds- big surprise with all that torque and a "silky snarl".
I couldn't quite follow the article on the packages etc on the equipment on what was standard on the sport but there is a boatload of stuff available. The sport does have acitve rear toe control, 19's and retuned suspension. other stuff I'm not sure about are swivelling front xenons, climate controlled seats, a 14 speaker stereo they said has to be heard to be believed, rear heated reclining seats and vent controls and power sunshades, rear video monitor, better front seats in the sport,lane departure, DVD nav, run flats you get the picture if you already didn't know all this stuff. highs- smooth and torquey, fast and refined and a car that grows on you everyday, very intelligent transmission.
Geez I'm excited like its my own bloody car now!!!

Old 01-30-2005, 08:54 PM
O.F. Administrator
Could it be that there's more than just me interested in one of these beauties?
A little company would be nice..............'M' brothers.
-------------
Yes all those delicious toys available on the M. I would have trouble deciding which to have and which not to have.....so I'm hoping to afford them all, save for the DVD movie player altho I'd love a sunshade in the rear which only comes with the movie player. (I've heard)

This M sport V-8, fully equipped, is the ride I've been looking for, for a long time.
I just hope I don't wake up and realize what the hell I'm thinking of spending on a car. (absolute insanity)

Insanity maybe, but I want one and will do everything in my power to make it happen ......

Old 01-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Insanity maybe, but I want one and will do everything in my power to make it happen ......
hehe, We can all feel your excitement Colin. I bet you have every bit of information that has been available for the new M in a special folder at your side at all times too. ehhhhh?
You are even getting me and the missus wound up, on Saturday mormings the first section Karen looks at in the Star is the wheels section to see if there are any write-ups. She found that one last weekend before me.
I also emailed my salesperson just the other day to let me know when they get their first new M in. I can't buy, yet, I just want to see it in person.
Wayne

Old 01-31-2005, 03:12 AM
O.F. Administrator
Originally Posted by GEE35X
hehe, We can all feel your excitement Colin. I bet you have every bit of information that has been available for the new M in a special folder at your side at all times too. ehhhhh?
You are even getting me and the missus wound up, on Saturday mormings the first section Karen looks at in the Star is the wheels section to see if there are any write-ups. She found that one last weekend before me.
I also emailed my salesperson just the other day to let me know when they get their first new M in. I can't buy, yet, I just want to see it in person.
Wayne
Wayne, haha, you know I'm heading to Kin. this summer......I'd love for it to be with a new 'toy'.

Lol, having gotten everyone so excited, I'd better follow thru on this deal.

I've got hard copy info at hand, but usually check on about 5 different websites and rely on feedback from newspapers reviews and magazine articles.
It's nice to see concrete info for a change; I'm a little shaken by pricing, but am still hopeful to find something that excites me within my budget.

Your and Karen's feedback is much appreciated, as is RBull's, InTgr8r's and many more who share my excitement. I really never dreamt I'd be this lucky.

C.

Old 01-31-2005, 09:52 AM
Looking forward to this summer. Colin, check your PM.
Wayne

Last edited by GEE35FX; 01-31-2005 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 PM
Rated M

M Brother

Could it be that there's more than just me interested in one of these beauties?
A little company would be nice..............'M' brothers.
-------------
Yes all those delicious toys available on the M. I would have trouble deciding which to have and which not to have.....so I'm hoping to afford them all, save for the DVD movie player altho I'd love a sunshade in the rear which only comes with the movie player. (I've heard)

This M sport V-8, fully equipped, is the ride I've been looking for, for a long time.
I just hope I don't wake up and realize what the hell I'm thinking of spending on a car. (absolute insanity)

Don't be too hasty with the brother thing! Seeing as I've only owned my G for less than 9 months and more than 2 months it's being hibernating buying new again just isn't on the table in this household! Although the car certainly seems like an incredible machine.
It's a lot of money but for someone that loves vehicles and doesn't have to really compromise, it will be a fantastic ride. I can tell you are determined to have it. Hopefully some day I'll hitch a ride in one too!
Cheers

Old 01-31-2005, 03:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Don't be too hasty with the brother thing! Seeing as I've only owned my G for less than 9 months and more than 2 months it's being hibernating buying new again just isn't on the table in this household! Although the car certainly seems like an incredible machine.
It's a lot of money but for someone that loves vehicles and doesn't have to really compromise, it will be a fantastic ride. I can tell you are determined to have it. Hopefully some day I'll hitch a ride in one too!
Cheers
Deane, If all goes well for me this year, I'm planning a trip east this summer. My dear buddy whom I know since England in the 50's is in Lunenburg (not too far from you), so you know if I make that trip that I'll bang on your door too.

yeh I'm determined to have one.....about the only thing to stop me at the moment is some common sense........and that's on sabbatical ....... so chances are it will happen.......
....whatever you do tho, don't nudge me too hard.....for fear I'll wake up from this 'dream'....

Old 01-31-2005, 03:16 PM
Rated M

no more nudging

Deane, If all goes well for me this year, I'm planning a trip east this summer. My dear buddy whom I know since England in the 50's is in Lunenburg (not too far from you), so you know if I make that trip that I'll bang on your door too.

yeh I'm determined to have one.....about the only thing to stop me at the moment is some common sense........and that's on sabbatical ....... so chances are it will happen.......
....whatever you do tho, don't nudge me too hard.....for fear I'll wake up from this 'dream'....
No I won't try and wake you up from this dream...or preach about common sense.
Trust me I can relate to having a lot of money tied up in metal in our driveway and garage too!
You're certainly welcome here in our neighbourhood anytime. Lunenburg is a gorgeous drive about 90 minutes or so from here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.