Canada Serving Canada.

Snow's Just a Blast!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Snow's Just a Blast!

Nothing like a late winter storm and a new G35x.

Put it in snow mode and blasted through the snow while my neighbours struggled to carve a path out of their driveways and spun in circles on the unplowed side streets this morning.

I finally have 2,000km on the new G and have been having some fun.

The Pirelli Sotto Zero's made my drive in today a walk in the park.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
didn't notice your post... just posted something similar. the sideroads were terrible where i was at. but the pirelli snowsports i got helped me out tremendously. i got a coupe and had little problems getting to work (mind u the main roads were really in good shape). a month ago i borrowed my dad's fx45 for a couple of weeks (cause my cars were stolen) and that thing sucked a$$ in the snow with the stock tires. i think their too wide or something... glad everything went well with your drive out. hopefully some warmer weather will get rid of some of this white stuff. don't know about u... but i'm ready for spring and being able to wash my car out really well.

Old 02-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Winter is starting to wear me down.

I need to wash my new car inside and out!!

Are your Pirelli's the regular 210's or the SottoZero's?

Old 02-21-2005, 10:46 AM
just regular... what's the sotto? must look it up i guess.

Old 02-21-2005, 11:15 AM
How are the G35 coupes in the snow anyhow?? I haven't had mine in the snow yet. Wonder what the VDC does with snow haha. Since it's rear wheel drive i'm curious since also have a camaro that sucks a$$ in the snow. My camaro has traction control but it's totally dif than the VDC and NOTHING is going to help a camaro in snow except a 4x4 w/ toe strap! The don't call the camaro twin (firebird) a bird for nothing...birds are meant to fly south for warmer weather in winter!

I wish the G35c had an AWD option. I talked to rep about it once and they said the coupe is like 0.75" too narrow or too short of wheelbase to allow the AWD working components (ever heard of re-design then lol). The AWD was a big factor in why I was looking at the audi TT before buying a G, but TT-vs-G...no comparison!

Old 02-21-2005, 11:23 AM
SottoZero is a European model I think. It is a "performance snow" that Pirelli put on the Italian police Lambourghini car. It has a much sexier tread pattern than the 210. Look it up on th einternational Pirelli website.

I find it to be more than good on snow and stiff enough to give good dry performance too (I actually find it better than the OEM all-seasons in non-snow conditions).

Old 02-21-2005, 12:00 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about a blast to drive. Around 9PM last night the roads were starting to drift bad so I had to go out and play. I have said it here before, but it is like the car is on rails in the snow. I live on the edge of a small town and the back roads are at my back door, I just have to be careful that I don't overdo it and get high centered on deep hard pack where my wheels won't be on the ground the ground. The other thing about pure winter snows is their ability to stop in snow and on ice because of their special compounds and siping.
Pure dedicated winter tires like the Blizzak WS-50's ROCK !!!

Old 02-21-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by klwoods
How are the G35 coupes in the snow anyhow?? I haven't had mine in the snow yet. ....
i've found mine to be very good. the vdc doesn't kick in as much as i originally thought. winter tires combined with a conservative driving habit will get u anywhere u need to go in these cars. today's rear wheel vehicles sure are different than their grandpa's. <- must have something to do with the better weight management between front and rear. they also do a great job maintaining the roads here in toronto... so in all honesty, the car doesn't touch heavy snow all that often. cheers!

Old 02-21-2005, 01:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My Coupe with Yokohama snows isn't bad either, but you guys with the 'X' would have THE settup these days.

The 'Snow' mode, does that equalize torque to all 4 wheels (50-50)?

C.

Old 02-21-2005, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by giddyup69
i've found mine to be very good. the vdc doesn't kick in as much as i originally thought. winter tires combined with a conservative driving habit will get u anywhere u need to go in these cars. today's rear wheel vehicles sure are different than their grandpa's. <- must have something to do with the better weight management between front and rear. they also do a great job maintaining the roads here in toronto... so in all honesty, the car doesn't touch heavy snow all that often. cheers!
My camaro is a '96...so it's not too old...to be the 'grandpa of RWD' lol. But the roads do suck when it snows here in PA they sometimes don't salt for a week in the city and just salt highways. Hopefully i wont have to find out, and my G will never see snow!

Old 02-21-2005, 05:14 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by gsedanman
My Coupe with Yokohama snows isn't bad either, but you guys with the 'X' would have THE settup these days.

The 'Snow' mode, does that equalize torque to all 4 wheels (50-50)?

C.
Colin-I am not absolutely sure about all 4 wheels, I do know in snow mode the drive is 50% front and 50% back from a standinding stop to around 20km/h, then it reverts to standard AWD mode. I will have to check into that. Realisticaly I find the car performs awesome with the snow mode off. I think I have only switched it on a couple of times to try it, and I have driven in a fair share of deep snow!

PS- I was going to give you a call later tonight.

Wayne

Old 02-21-2005, 05:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Colin-I am not absolutely sure about all 4 wheels, I do know in snow mode the drive is 50% front and 50% back from a standinding stop to around 20km/h, then it reverts to standard AWD mode. I will have to check into that. Realisticaly I find the car performs awesome with the snow mode off. I think I have only switched it on a couple of times to try it, and I have driven in a fair share of deep snow!

PS- I was going to give you a call later tonight.

Wayne
Hi Wayne.
Thanks for the heads-up on the 'snow mode'. Once I read that, I remembered what you told me about it b4. Sounds like it's a mode for emergency situations only and of course for relatively slow car movements.

I wonder if the Traction control kicks in, too, should one wheel spin (front or rear). Sounds like quite a comprehesive system.

P.S. I'm in tonight, call anytime, hi to K. I look forward to your call.

Colin.