Old 05-30-2003, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review on Bose system

Road Test: 2003 Infiniti G35 Sport Coupe
Stereo Evaluation
By Brian Moody
Date Posted 01-14-2003

System Score: 9.0

Components: Infiniti has sort of stumbled around in the stereo department for years. There was a time when Nissan vehicles actually had better stereos in them than Infiniti cars costing thousands of dollars more. However, based upon what we've seen recently in new Infiniti vehicles, we can put that rumor to rest. The fact is, this system kicks some serious butt and rivals anything we've seen, or heard, in this segment.

This Bose setup begins with a head unit ensconced in a double-DIN opening in the middle of the center stack. The head, which includes a built-in six-disc CD changer and a cassette player, boasts rocker panels all the way around for ease of use, plus widely spaced controls and a logical topography. With the exception of having no space between the preset buttons, this head unit is the essence of ergonomics. Additionally, the G35 Sport Coupe offers steering wheel controls for volume, mode, seek-scan and power on-off.

Speaker locations are bounteous and generous. They include a pair of 6-by-9 full range drivers on the rear deck, a duo of 4-by-6 full range drivers in the rear quarter panels, a set of 6.5-inch midbass drivers in the lower portion of the front doors and a couple of one-inch dome tweeters tucked next to the A-pillars. They all work together to produce a symphonic and lush sound that, as we said above, rivals anything in its class.

Performance: Highs are scintillating, lows are punchy and smooth and mids are detailed and intricate. We were most impressed with the sound quality of the G35. We found female vocals to exhibit a velvety-ness and soaring ability second to none. Acoustic strings showed just a tad of stridency that nonetheless did not detract from the overall excellence of the sound. Horns were silky and blaring, without blazing the eardrums. Percussion, in particular, was most impressive for a vehicle without a separate subwoofer — tight, punchy, resilient and accurate are the terms we'd use to describe it. All in all, they just don't get much better than this one, folks.

Best Feature: Overall sonic excellence.

Worst Feature: Crowded preset buttons.

Conclusion: This Bose setup comes with the Premium Package. Turn it up and watch the smile spread across your face. — Scott Memmer

Old 05-30-2003, 05:32 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Review on Bose system

What mag/publication does Scott Memmer write for?

<font color=green>GG</font color=green>

Old 05-30-2003, 07:38 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Lots of peeps here don't like our Bose system, but I'm inclined to agree with Scott Memmer. It kicks butt. At least it's good enough for me. Buttons are easy too, once you get used to them.

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 05-31-2003, 10:48 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I haven't heard the sys in the sedan gsm, as far as the coupe goes, I agree. Set-up is important- the stock settings are not optimal. Unless one is attempting to break the glass out of parked cars on the main drag downtown with cursed excess of bass (and looking like a spode in the process), the sound is great.
As for buttons, buttons, what buttons? There are buttons? I'm the driver, you must be referring to the ones on the steering wheel (poor Z souls, no such luck)- those are the only ones I've ever used other than load and unload.
Now that reminds me, has anyone else experienced this:
If I am loading such that I will have six CDs loaded, many of which are CDRs, and perhaps because I'm pulling a couple out of the middle of the stack and trying to replace them, the last CD being loaded kicks back out from time to time and will not load in that slot.
To illustrate, say you have all six loaded- let's say all but one are CDRs. You then take CD#4 and CD#5 out and try to replace them. CD#5 goes in, albeit with a lot of whirring of the stack aligning to accept it. Upon trying to load CD#4, the stack makes lots of shuffle and alignment noises as CD#4 is drawn in waiting to be accepted into the stack, but then CD#4 is spit out, and will not be accepted.
Trial and error solution: Remove CD#5 and CD#6, then in order, load CDs #4, then #5, then #6. It's my belief that this may have something about the thickness of the CDRs vs. a regular disc, and alignment of the six CDs in the stack. BTW, I have never had the problem with regular CDs, only my CDRs, which seem ever so slightly thicker than a regular CD. Thoughts?

DB