Canada Serving Canada.

Michelin Brake Dust Repellent

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2005 | 10:55 AM
Where did you guys buy this Michelin dust repellent? Is it available at say an Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, or Michelin dealership?

Old 07-09-2005 | 01:48 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by fotodad
Where did you guys buy this Michelin dust repellent? Is it available at say an Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, or Michelin dealership?
Got mine at our local auto parts store (Canadian Tire), -- There is a web addy on their product for info tho-- www.michelin.com .
The kit available here is pictured, and was $24 Canadian (about $20 USD)

Attached Thumbnails Michelin Brake Dust Repellent-mini-kit0001.jpg  
Old 07-09-2005 | 02:03 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by kamikazeiG35
As I understand the process, you spray it on and it foams up... the first thing I began to wonder was whether this was something you *could* get on your rotors through the rims. But in GSM's posting, you mention that you took them off to work on (which makes sense) but isn't that convenient for those of us who don't have a 2.5 ton jack handy and/or air gun to pry off the lug nuts.

So can you leave your wheels on and just spray it without worrying about getting this on the brake rotors?

Thanks,
Al
Hey Al, You should be able to do a good job without removing the wheel/tire combo. The first 2 steps (for cleaning the wheel and the tire) require mucho rinsing, so any product overspray should be rinsed off fine.
I took mine off to access and clean the inside of the wheels, but you don't have to do that.
The 3rd step (dressing the rubber) is sprayed as a foam onto the tire. You may have to be careful with this overspray, but when I did it, seemed very controllable.
Any overspray could be quickly cleaned off with something like Zaino Z-6.
The bulletin that HOLD OUT posted was more concerning overspray on paint, which again could easily be rinsed.

A great product.

C.

Last edited by Msedanman; 07-09-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2005 | 02:10 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Lol Ian, only the car body parts.

Don't let Wayne fool you, Ian. He borrows my 'kit' regularly.
C.

Old 07-13-2005 | 11:04 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
I finally applied this tonight along with a hugely unnecassary and probably useless detailing of the G. I don't know what it is about cleaning the car at 11PM that is so theraputic. Anyway, we're going on a 800 KM roundtrip starting tomorrow, so I will report back with results on Monday!

Old 07-13-2005 | 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
I finally applied this tonight along with a hugely unnecassary and probably useless detailing of the G. I don't know what it is about cleaning the car at 11PM that is so theraputic. Anyway, we're going on a 800 KM roundtrip starting tomorrow, so I will report back with results on Monday!
Cool, that should be an excellent test for the repellent. Let us know how it works out after the trip. As for detailing the car, the car always seems to run so much better after she's had a good detailing loaded with tlc .
Wayne

Old 07-14-2005 | 10:07 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni
Cool, that should be an excellent test for the repellent. Let us know how it works out after the trip. As for detailing the car, the car always seems to run so much better after she's had a good detailing loaded with tlc .
Wayne
Man, you've got that right.
My poor baby's pining away in the garage, covered with a layer of dust.
She's chomping at the bit for a good suds up & some exercise.

I can almost see a tear rolling down her headlight.
~~~~guess I better get my act together & get things wrapped up.

Old 07-14-2005 | 12:00 PM
Cool, that should be an excellent test for the repellent.
I should apply it before my next track day.

Old 07-14-2005 | 01:22 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
Man, you've got that right.
My poor baby's pining away in the garage, covered with a layer of dust.
She's chomping at the bit for a good suds up & some exercise.

I can almost see a tear rolling down her headlight.
~~~~guess I better get my act together & get things wrapped up.
LOL, She'll love you for that ...... Can't wait to see it.

As for detailing the car, the car always seems to run so much better after she's had a good detailing loaded with tlc
Your baby is gonna ride like a charm forever Ian, after this job.
C.

Old 07-14-2005 | 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by Balzz
I should apply it before my next track day.
LOL .....I think that would be The Test of tests, if it worked on your ride they would definitely have a winner. We all know why you got the Black coupe now Shane .

Old 07-14-2005 | 02:33 PM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G
Yeah, a product called WHEEL WAX (www.wheelwax.com) I use works real well for me too.

Old 07-18-2005 | 05:29 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
So I'm back. 800 KM turned into 1200 KM but the brake dust repellent actually held up really well. I took a picture of my front rims after we arrived in VT (600 KM) and while I have no way to measure brake dust (I would if I could!) it seemed like a lot less. Yay.

Unfortunately I got nailed for speeding in Cornwall and although I plead my case the officer wasn't interested in the fact that having less brake dust made me go too fast thus causing him to pull me over. What a jerk.

Last edited by Picus; 07-18-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 07-18-2005 | 07:00 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by picus112
So I'm back. 800 KM turned into 1200 KM but the brake dust repellent actually held up really well. I took a picture of my front rims after we arrived in VT (600 KM) and while I have no way to measure brake dust (I would if I could!) it seemed like a lot less. Yay.

Unfortunately I got nailed for speeding in Cornwall and although I plead my case the officer wasn't interested in the fact that having less brake dust made me go too fast thus causing him to pull me over. What a jerk.
Glad to hear about the brake dust repellent. Sounds promising for sure.

Too bad the cop didn't have a better sense of humour. Hope the $$$$ damage wasn't too bad.....

TNX for letting us know.

Colin

Old 07-19-2005 | 06:52 AM
|
Traveling Administrator
Good to hear it worked for you Picus, it's certainly been keeping the brake dust to a minimum for me also. Too bad about getting nailed for speeding though, how much are your fines in Ontario? I think ours start at around $160....yikes.

Old 07-19-2005 | 08:20 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Staff Alumni
He ticketed me for doing 131 in a 100 (401 east), the ticket was $143 and 4 points. I had cruise control on @ around 120-125 so I don't know where 131 came from. I'll probably show up to see if I can get it reduced to 129 or below just for the reduction in demerit points (131 is 4, 129 would be 3). Cornwall is a nest of cops, I saw 4-5 people pulled over on my way back.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Michelin Brake Dust Repellent