Canada Serving Canada.

Suggestions on a new Pickup truck

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2005 | 11:10 AM
I just got out of a 2004 nissan titan 4x4, loved the truck, hated the mileage, best i got straight highway driving was 15.6 mpg. I had 20inch rims with 305 width tires, but that shouldn't account for that much. But if u check on titantalk.com i think the average is 16-17. I've driven them all my favorites were the Titan, and the f150 though it pains me to say it. Ford rode nice and I loved the interior, but there is just no power. well compared to the titan. I don't like the dodge all the hype about the HEMI just pissed me off. I was born a GM man, but they are just to far behind.

Just Test drive em all and pick one.

Old 07-06-2005 | 08:22 AM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Advice on vehicles is generally not heeded, since we buy with our hearts instead of brains in most cases, but here goes- as a motocross racer, having leased/owned 3 NA trucks, and with lots of buds at the track telling their stories as well, and getting rides, etc, I would not consider anything from the 3 North American companies. PM me for additional on this if you like; I'm sure lots of flamers will be steadfastly defending their American iron. Buy a Titan. Tough, powerful, reliable. I would have thought it would be a done deal for you Yorkville?

Old 07-06-2005 | 09:52 AM
Originally Posted by derek
Advice on vehicles is generally not heeded, since we buy with our hearts instead of brains in most cases, but here goes- as a motocross racer, having leased/owned 3 NA trucks, and with lots of buds at the track telling their stories as well, and getting rides, etc, I would not consider anything from the 3 North American companies. PM me for additional on this if you like; I'm sure lots of flamers will be steadfastly defending their American iron. Buy a Titan. Tough, powerful, reliable. I would have thought it would be a done deal for you Yorkville?
I just read an article that stated the truck buyers are the number one loyalists when it comes to brand loyality. And yes, I'm one of them. Second only to women and their choices in bra manufactures. No I'm not one of those

But I prefer to look at it as a comfort level as I know what to expect from my brand choice. There are so many choices and options available to truck buyers today that it's best to look at needs and wants to find the truck that fits your choices. Then you go out and pick the one you like the best

Last edited by Zat_Zuma; 07-06-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-10-2005 | 11:18 AM
|
Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
yeah - you need to know what you're going to use it for before you pick what you want.
I like the Nissan Armada, but based on fuel cost these days it kinda makes me want to reconsider getting the full blown V8's heck I might even resort to the 4 cylinder models at this range........ my primary use is to haul my mountain bike to and from Blue Mountain, and the occaisional lugging of my own personal goods and what not. Being used to driving 200HP cars....geez driving anything but a a powerhouse is going to be a drag.
I just got back from Whistler from a mountain bike trip - WOW what a place Vancouver that is. I rented a Dodge Dakota SLT, holy crap no power, but the size was perfect - I got 500KM to a tank of gas which was roughly 65 liters. Not too bad I suppose dragging 5 people and 5 full size DH bikes. But the lack of power just killed me..... I geuss I have to bite the bullet and get something more powerful. But for now the V8's are out of the question. So that leaves me with these 2 choices:

Toyota Tacoma TRD
Nissan Frontier NISMO.....the only problem with the NISMO is the fact it resembles a FORD.

I gotta go drive these puppies. Thanks for the replies guys!

Old 07-10-2005 | 11:31 AM
Widdle ya into kindling
I think either would be a great choice over an American model.

Old 07-10-2005 | 12:41 PM
I would choose Toyota. I'm not a fan of Chrome bumper. I checked the specification and the Nissan curb weights more than Toyota. As TRD, is that 4x4 cab? or 4x2?

Old 07-10-2005 | 04:03 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by YORKVILLE
I like the Nissan Armada, but based on fuel cost these days it kinda makes me want to reconsider getting the full blown V8's heck I might even resort to the 4 cylinder models at this range........ my primary use is to haul my mountain bike to and from Blue Mountain, and the occaisional lugging of my own personal goods and what not. Being used to driving 200HP cars....geez driving anything but a a powerhouse is going to be a drag.
I just got back from Whistler from a mountain bike trip - WOW what a place Vancouver that is. I rented a Dodge Dakota SLT, holy crap no power, but the size was perfect - I got 500KM to a tank of gas which was roughly 65 liters. Not too bad I suppose dragging 5 people and 5 full size DH bikes. But the lack of power just killed me..... I geuss I have to bite the bullet and get something more powerful. But for now the V8's are out of the question. So that leaves me with these 2 choices:

Toyota Tacoma TRD
Nissan Frontier NISMO.....the only problem with the NISMO is the fact it resembles a FORD.

I gotta go drive these puppies. Thanks for the replies guys!
York, I hear you on the gas issue. I am purchasing an SUV as a second vehicle this fall and am currently debating on a preowned Pathfinder/Xterra or a new X-Trail. I love both the Pathfinders and Xterras, but also like the fuel efficiency of the X-trail. We'll see how it plays out over the next couple of months, but right now I am leaning towards the X-trail.

Btw, gas is currently $102.5/litre here in Saint John, whats it currently at up there?

Old 07-10-2005 | 05:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Hey Shane, The X-Trail/Xterra are fine vehicles too. I was looking at them myself recently. Definitely worth considering.

Our gas is due to rise from 89.9/l for reg. tomorrow. I'm expecting it to go to $1.00 or more then. Yikes!

Colin.

Old 07-11-2005 | 12:47 AM
It's time to get a hybird. Lexus has the hybird luxury SUV. U mite wanna check that out!

Also, I thought the X-Trail FCV suppose to come out in the market... read on:

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/new...31095609.shtml

Old 07-11-2005 | 09:30 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by WolfsterX
It's time to get a hybird. Lexus has the hybird luxury SUV. U mite wanna check that out!

Also, I thought the X-Trail FCV suppose to come out in the market... read on:

http://www.nissannews.com/nissan/new...31095609.shtml
The Lexus hybrid SUV would be sweet, however as a second vehicle it will definitely be out of the question.

Thanks for the article on the X-Trail FCV, I wasn't aware of it coming out. I wonder when it will be available in Canada?

Old 07-12-2005 | 01:40 AM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Funny you guys are onto the Xtrail now. I picked up my 05 6MT GCoupe on the first day of April; we picked up our 05 Xtrail 2 weeks before that. Coming from V8 trucks, and trading a V6 Accord, it pained me to think of the little X. But it's fantastic for what it does. I'm road biking, mountain biking, and sea-kayaking with it. It gets great mileage, it's easy to stuff dirty bikes into it-washes out easy. Well though out innovations-little things like back seats that recline, and cupholders that keep the temperature of your drink (actually works!). We chose the LE, so it has the additional airbags (reason for saying farewell to the Accord was $32K worth of two serious accidents, one for me, one for my wife, neither of which were our fault). Selectable 4WD is great- the cottage roads have been washed out bad this year due to rain, and it climbs steep loose craggy stuff that the Accord would be buried in. Being lower than the big utes, it's far easier to load bikes and boats on top. As for driving, the on-road handling is best in class, it isn't influenced by sidewinds the way bricks like the Element are, and surprisingly, it can get out of it's own way, accelerating with aplomb up short onramps for the 401. I'm 6'1", and with the rear hatch open, I can walk underneath it without clocking myself like something out of a three stooges flick. And with the Yakima hullraisers, the hatch fully opens without hitting the boats, an added bonus. Instruments in the middle took exactly one minute to adjust to the first time, and I'm switching between it and the G everyday without grief (instrument-wise I mean; sure I wish it had 298 hp). Because it's Canada and Europe only, Yakima and Thule have yet to provide specific solutions, but the factory stuff is very good, and for the kayaks, you can get a Yakima solution. Back to the height issue- don't underestimate how much of a factor this can be. I was really interested in the Xterra, but having loaded and unloaded the kayaks and bikes a hundred or so times, I'm really glad we didn't get Nissan's super serious offroader. Loading would have really sucked.
The Xtrail is a surprisingly utile cute-ute; enough utility and common sense to convert a full size truck owner. Moreso these days, where the X's gas mileage is nearly double that of a 5.4L V8, and the price of gas is pressing near to a buck a litre.

Cheers,
Derek

Old 07-12-2005 | 07:35 AM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by derek
Funny you guys are onto the Xtrail now. I picked up my 05 6MT GCoupe on the first day of April; we picked up our 05 Xtrail 2 weeks before that. Coming from V8 trucks, and trading a V6 Accord, it pained me to think of the little X. But it's fantastic for what it does. I'm road biking, mountain biking, and sea-kayaking with it. It gets great mileage, it's easy to stuff dirty bikes into it-washes out easy. Well though out innovations-little things like back seats that recline, and cupholders that keep the temperature of your drink (actually works!). We chose the LE, so it has the additional airbags (reason for saying farewell to the Accord was $32K worth of two serious accidents, one for me, one for my wife, neither of which were our fault). Selectable 4WD is great- the cottage roads have been washed out bad this year due to rain, and it climbs steep loose craggy stuff that the Accord would be buried in. Being lower than the big utes, it's far easier to load bikes and boats on top. As for driving, the on-road handling is best in class, it isn't influenced by sidewinds the way bricks like the Element are, and surprisingly, it can get out of it's own way, accelerating with aplomb up short onramps for the 401. I'm 6'1", and with the rear hatch open, I can walk underneath it without clocking myself like something out of a three stooges flick. And with the Yakima hullraisers, the hatch fully opens without hitting the boats, an added bonus. Instruments in the middle took exactly one minute to adjust to the first time, and I'm switching between it and the G everyday without grief (instrument-wise I mean; sure I wish it had 298 hp). Because it's Canada and Europe only, Yakima and Thule have yet to provide specific solutions, but the factory stuff is very good, and for the kayaks, you can get a Yakima solution. Back to the height issue- don't underestimate how much of a factor this can be. I was really interested in the Xterra, but having loaded and unloaded the kayaks and bikes a hundred or so times, I'm really glad we didn't get Nissan's super serious offroader. Loading would have really sucked.
The Xtrail is a surprisingly utile cute-ute; enough utility and common sense to convert a full size truck owner. Moreso these days, where the X's gas mileage is nearly double that of a 5.4L V8, and the price of gas is pressing near to a buck a litre.

Cheers,
Derek

Great info Derek, thanks! Like I stated earlier, I am leaning towards the X-Trail mainly for fuel efficiency reasons. I have test drove the X-Trail a few times and really enjoyed driving it.....especially with the huge Pana Roof open!! I am also looking at getting the LE becuase of the additional airbags and leather seating (much easier to keep clean).

I am glad to hear you've enjoyed yours so far!

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 07-12-2005 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2005 | 10:41 AM
Nissan Titan.. just pick one up last weekend.. hott damn!!! im in love...

Old 07-25-2005 | 09:20 PM
|
Well I finally decided heres the clincher:

2005 Ford Supercrew 4x4 5.4L Triton 300HP 266 ft/lbs
Automatic
3.73 LSD diff
Bucket seats front 60/40 rear
sliding rear glass
Loaded with the normal accessories.

Plus this: free bedliner, tubular rails, soft tonneau cover, bug deflector. free oil changes for 3 years. - hehe i only have the car for 2 years

Initial down $4800 term 2 years 23 months at $288 plus taxes a month $150 for insurance. I am figuring about $200 a month in fuel costs, my Pathfinder is rated the same fuel NON-ECONOMY. Walk away there after. No other manufacture can touch this on a new pickup with a V8.........damn Nissan.....if it was a Titan this price would be a NO-BRAINER

Old 07-25-2005 | 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by YORKVILLE
Well I finally decided heres the clincher:

2005 Ford Supercrew 4x4 5.4L Triton 300HP 266 ft/lbs
Automatic
3.73 LSD diff
Bucket seats front 60/40 rear
sliding rear glass
Loaded with the normal accessories.

Plus this: free bedliner, tubular rails, soft tonneau cover, bug deflector. free oil changes for 3 years. - hehe i only have the car for 2 years

Initial down $4800 term 2 years 23 months at $288 plus taxes a month $150 for insurance. I am figuring about $200 a month in fuel costs, my Pathfinder is rated the same fuel NON-ECONOMY. Walk away there after. No other manufacture can touch this on a new pickup with a V8.........damn Nissan.....if it was a Titan this price would be a NO-BRAINER
That sounds like a great deal. Speaking of FREE oil changes...I'm due for my first one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Suggestions on a new Pickup truck