Canada Serving Canada.

Ontario Driver Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ontario Driver Questions

Hey guys

I have been looking around for a new car, and I think I found one.

Currentaly I own a 2003 Tiburon supercharged V6 6-speed, and have been looking for a new replacement. Obviously seeing as this is a G35 forum, I am thinking of getting a 2004 G35 /w M6 package 15,000km and hard deal to pass up.

I was curious as to whether anyone puts steelies + winter tires on during the winter and attempt to drive? I live in Southern Ontario, so we do get snow obviously, but I was curious as to winter traction.

Having the Tiburon, its FWD and it stuck very nicely in the snow, better then any other car I have owned.

I think my only problem that I might run into is the Brembo brake size + a 16" steelie (don't think they are gonna mix).

Anyones thoughts? Hope to pick it up in two weeks.

Old 06-30-2005, 04:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome aboard Futs, and congrats on the new G (to come).
You're right about 16" and brembo-- they won't mix. Not enough clearance. You'll have to go 17" or 18" depending on the wheel.
My non-brembo was fine with 17" Enkei, and some brembo equipped G's were fine with 17", but no guarantee. Test fit to be sure.

You in the east, west or where, bro?

C.

Old 07-04-2005, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by Gsedanman
Welcome aboard Futs, and congrats on the new G (to come).
You're right about 16" and brembo-- they won't mix. Not enough clearance. You'll have to go 17" or 18" depending on the wheel.
My non-brembo was fine with 17" Enkei, and some brembo equipped G's were fine with 17", but no guarantee. Test fit to be sure.

You in the east, west or where, bro?

C.
I m in Ontario, but work and live in the city (KW) so its not a big deal to trek far. I just know from getting surprised with first snow fall that summer tires + snow/slush = don't mix.

Just curious too about clearance in the snow, likely I will lower it to that tight fit where the top rubber is seen and not under the wheel wells, and wondering if others found that it felt like a snow plow? I got stuck once last winter (Tib is lowered).

Old 07-04-2005, 10:13 AM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Futs
I m in Ontario, but work and live in the city (KW) so its not a big deal to trek far. I just know from getting surprised with first snow fall that summer tires + snow/slush = don't mix.

Just curious too about clearance in the snow, likely I will lower it to that tight fit where the top rubber is seen and not under the wheel wells, and wondering if others found that it felt like a snow plow? I got stuck once last winter (Tib is lowered).
Yes the summer Sport Pilots don't like snow and winter at all. A definite no-no. The clearance I'm talking about with aftermarket wheels is fromthe inside of the wheel to the caliper..... 16" for sure won't clear the caliper (on the 6M/T), and some 17" won't clear either.

The clearance under the Coupe is OK from the factory, but lowering it will have an effect of winter driving depending how much you lower. Anything more than 4 or 5" and you'll be plowing for sure.

Hope to meet up sometime. If you'd like to do Timmy's, let me know, or there will be a meet coming soon. Check Chico's 'July GTA meet' thread.

Colin (GSM)

Old 07-04-2005, 03:52 PM
You live in KW area? So do I and i had a red tiburon with gunmetal rims, ever see me? Well i sold it and bought and 04 coupe M6. I store it for the winter just because for the price of rims and tires for the plus undercoating and so on I bought a 91 civic hatch back for 1500 just for winter. It burns oil but it runs great!!!!! living in kitchener waterloo its your best option to store it especially if you plan to mod it. BTW I have the silverstone coupe on with mesh 19"s. Youve probably seen me screaming around town!

Old 07-07-2005, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by zicog35
You live in KW area? So do I and i had a red tiburon with gunmetal rims, ever see me? Well i sold it and bought and 04 coupe M6. I store it for the winter just because for the price of rims and tires for the plus undercoating and so on I bought a 91 civic hatch back for 1500 just for winter. It burns oil but it runs great!!!!! living in kitchener waterloo its your best option to store it especially if you plan to mod it. BTW I have the silverstone coupe on with mesh 19"s. Youve probably seen me screaming around town!
You didn't happen to work at RIM did you? newtiburon.com?

From the sounds of things, a winter beater is probally the best way to go.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i found winter driving in my g just fine. here's my set-up:
17x7 Impact Silver
225/50/17 Pirelli W210
225/55/17 Pirelli W210
i had absolutely no problems driving the car around. and i did drive the car in some heavy snow a couple of times. i got my winter rig from harry at www.bigwheelz.com. good prices and great service.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:01 PM
Sure do work at RIM. Yah I was apart of newtiburon.com. Let me tell you I'm glad shes gone and the G is in. If its a sports car then its only made for the summer. Especially if you start to mod it thats why the winter beater is the best option.

Old 07-08-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by zicog35
Sure do work at RIM. Yah I was apart of newtiburon.com. Let me tell you I'm glad shes gone and the G is in. If its a sports car then its only made for the summer. Especially if you start to mod it thats why the winter beater is the best option.
Yes, ok I do remember you, cause I think I saw you once at the McD's at King and Columbia back when you had the Tib.

Anyway, I found a magnificant deal at a local Infiniti dealer on a G35 sedan /w Aero Package and 6-MT so as much as I want to stay in a coupe, I might have a hard time passing this offer up.

Hoping for next week