Canada Serving Canada.

95 octane = 200km less per tank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm gonna switch to esso for a month and see what I get. Since day one, a tank fill yields me 450 Km tops.

Old 10-20-2005, 02:06 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
Colin, I think the gas here starts to change about the end of this month but may vary by brand. I'm going to check it out.

Yep, the cold weather wreaks havoc with the mileage that's for sure. Longer warmups, more idling more driveline friction, even rolling resistance on the bad stuff!
Hey Deane, I'll check again at the local Petro-Can. I did some years ago and I thought they told me the gas changed over in early Dec. but I'll double check that and post back.

C.

Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 PM
PDT
I remember reading a while ago about problems with Esso's gas. I believe it was something about high sulfur content or burns the most sulfur out of the rest of the gasoline brands. Maybe it might be good for a little more mileage, but isn't it horrible for the environment?

Also, on a long term basis, wouldn't it bad for the car as well?

Last edited by PDT; 10-20-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-20-2005, 06:40 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by PDT
I remember reading a while ago about problems with Esso's gas. I believe it was something about high sulfur content or burns the most sulfur out of the rest of the gasoline brands. Maybe it might be good for a little more mileage, but isn't it horrible for the environment?

Absolutely Tauseef......apparantly any additive in our gas can clog and coat the O2 sensors and eventually render them useless. -- That's why it's best not to put any additives in our gasoline.......and why Nissan recommends that we don't.

The Sulphur and Manganese content in our gas has been a bone of contention for years and they're reducing levels dramatically to clean the air.
As well as cleaning the air, the cleaner exhaust gas that runs to the calytics will put less burden on them and keep tailpipe emissions down.

I've personally had the worst luck with Sunoco gasolines......even to the point of causing bad rotten egg smell from the tailpipe. Since that happened some years ago, I've used Petro-Can and had no more issues.

C.

Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by PDT

If the Esso's fuel is bad for the enviroment, then the government would have banned their product(s) out of this country.

If it is bad for our car, Nissan would have reported to customers not use ESSO!! ....wow... ESSO sounded A$$HOLE....hehe,, anyway...

Old 10-20-2005, 09:04 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PDT

Yes I read the same thing. I remember it because Irving gas- (may not be available west of NB) was the cleanest burning which is my regular brand.

Old 10-21-2005, 09:56 AM
PDT
Originally Posted by WolfsterX
If the Esso's fuel is bad for the enviroment, then the government would have banned their product(s) out of this country.

If it is bad for our car, Nissan would have reported to customers not use ESSO!! ....wow... ESSO sounded A$$HOLE....hehe,, anyway...
Do a search, I believe the Government did recommend not to use Esso because of the high Sulfur content (when the study came out). Thus forcing Esso to change their processing. I believe they have brought it down, but are still higher than the rest of the Gas companies. I personally don't have anything against them, but I personally won't use them.

Also, if you wanted to do a proper comparison, you could not do Sunoco vs. Esso, Sunoco has more Ethanol in their fuel. Ethanol burns faster than regular fuel. So, if you wanted to do a proper comparison, wouldn't you use Shell or Petro Canada vs. Esso?