Canada Serving Canada.

City drivers - what mileage do you get?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
City drivers - what mileage do you get?

Just picked up my G35 (2006) 2 days ago. I'm already at half tank almost having driven around Vancouver only 162 km so far Extrapolating that, I am only getting 324km. For a 76L tank, that is only 23.5L/100km.

Is this normal? I sure hope it gets better....but this is pretty bad. I am shifting at about 3-4k rpm.....usually "cruising" at 3rd or 4th gear...definitealy not racing or anything.

Old 02-06-2006, 01:53 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fireblade
Just picked up my G35 (2006) 2 days ago. I'm already at half tank almost having driven around Vancouver only 162 km so far Extrapolating that, I am only getting 324km. For a 76L tank, that is only 23.5L/100km.

Is this normal? I sure hope it gets better....but this is pretty bad. I am shifting at about 3-4k rpm.....usually "cruising" at 3rd or 4th gear...definitealy not racing or anything.
My '05 sedan (5AT) gets between 13.5 and 12.0 l/100km, or 21-23.5 mpg (Imp.) without ever going out of the city.
The light usually comes on at ~500 km and the gauge seems pretty linear - I'm usually at ~250km when it reads 1/2 tank.
I've gone 540 km without touching the E line, 100% city driving.

Remember, just because you shift at 3-4,000 doesn't mean your foot's not on the floor.
It's not so much what rpm you shift at, it's how fast you try to get the revs up.

On my one highway trip (before it was broken in) I averaged 32 mpg at 110-115 kph without the cruise control.

Old 02-06-2006, 02:58 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fireblade

Great ride Fireblade, but don't get down too badly on mileage yet.....

The dealership probably didn't fill the tank properly.....I topped mine off on the way home and it took 12 liters!. That'll put a serious hit into your math.

Also you're assuming that you'll burn all the gas in your tank b4 refilling.....that won't happen......It'll still have 12 or so liters left in the tank, if you fill up when the light comes on...
There's another 'hit'....

Your ride being new won't yield anywhere near its best mileage.
Let it break in first to get a good 'read' on gas mileage.

Good luck with the new ride. I'm sure your actual mileage will be much better than you suspect.

Colin

Old 02-06-2006, 03:19 PM
I regularly get 14l/100kkm Vancouver city driving and I don't baby it. Have you checked for a hole in the tank?

Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Great ride Fireblade, but don't get down too badly on mileage yet.....

The dealership probably didn't fill the tank properly.....I topped mine off on the way home and it took 12 liters!. That'll put a serious hit into your math.

Also you're assuming that you'll burn all the gas in your tank b4 refilling.....that won't happen......It'll still have 12 or so liters left in the tank, if you fill up when the light comes on...
There's another 'hit'....

Your ride being new won't yield anywhere near its best mileage.
Let it break in first to get a good 'read' on gas mileage.

Good luck with the new ride. I'm sure your actual mileage will be much better than you suspect.

Colin
You probably nailed it with the less than full upon purchase and less than empty upon fill up Colin.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Agree with all points with Colin- the only way to come close to estimating fuel consumption is by filling the tank yourself, driving, and filling it again and checking the odometer. Mileage does improve following break-in.

For my own part, I did't buy a 300 hp, 3500lb car expecting to get Yaris/Echo like gas mileage. Making it worse is the fact that from every stop I have the irresistable urge to rip off a handfull of gear WFO while enjoying the mellifluous, sonorous music, before looking down at the speedo and acknowledging that what I see will send me "do not pass go, go straight to jail", and then finally easing up a smidgen. Recommend only looking at mileage with morbid curiousity, like "hey I broke 20 on that one; must have been lots of highway". In doing so, I find I've been better able to keep the blood pressure down.

Cheers,
Derek

p.s. any day you can get mellifluous and sonorous into the same sentence is great G day.

Old 02-06-2006, 06:15 PM
Rated M

^+1.
BTW, sonorous was a new one to me but it aptly describes the aural sensation of driving this car.

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2006, 06:51 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by derek
Agree with all points with Colin- the only way to come close to estimating fuel consumption is by filling the tank yourself, driving, and filling it again and checking the odometer. Mileage does improve following break-in.

For my own part, I did't buy a 300 hp, 3500lb car expecting to get Yaris/Echo like gas mileage. Making it worse is the fact that from every stop I have the irresistable urge to rip off a handfull of gear WFO while enjoying the mellifluous, sonorous music, before looking down at the speedo and acknowledging that what I see will send me "do not pass go, go straight to jail", and then finally easing up a smidgen. Recommend only looking at mileage with morbid curiousity, like "hey I broke 20 on that one; must have been lots of highway". In doing so, I find I've been better able to keep the blood pressure down.

Cheers,
Derek

p.s. any day you can get mellifluous and sonorous into the same sentence is great G day.
Good one Derek, and agreed.... -

I must admit having to look up mellifluous.....lol, now I know why I like honey so much too.

LOL, I just plain get giddy every time I nail the loud pedal, and to blazes with gas mileage...... (at least momentarily. )

C.

Old 02-06-2006, 07:37 PM
OK i trust you guys! I'll fill top er up myself and then reset the trip meter and see....

Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 AM
Hey FireBlade,

I totally agree with ya, my G35C M6 does suck up a lot of gas. I would say you should improve a little after filling the tank up yourself. But I highly doubt you'll get like 500 km in city driving because yours is a coupe not a sedan. I'm only getting about 400-450km and my driving is similiar to yours.
Let us know what your result is after your new tank of gas!

Old 02-16-2006, 12:10 AM
Ok, update: topped it up myself and navigation is reporting 14.5MPG. Is that normal? I'm almost half way through (according to the guage) and it says I have about 150miles left before filling, so 300miles = 482km for a full tank. My guess is that is normal for the coupe....i hope!

Don't get me wrong, I too didn't buy a 298HP car and expect great mileage. I just want to be the same as every other coupe owner

Old 02-16-2006, 08:29 AM
In my 04 6MT coupe I get no less then 500 km/tank city and usually around 600 km's all highway. I got 636 km's once on a straight drive to Windsor and back, was going to try and get to 650 but didn't want to get greedy lol

Old 03-06-2006, 01:07 PM
I've been tracking my mileage since I got my 05 G35 6MT in December, and so far I've only been able to get 22 mpg on the highway (measured by filling up after long trips) and 15 mpg in daily city driving. I'm at 4k miles now, so I'm not sure what to do. I don't slam the throttle often, I'm usually just accelerating at the same rate as the other cars on the road, but it hasn't really helped. I'm hoping its just the cold weather, as cars generally will get worse gas mileage in the winter with denser air, but at the same time, get more power. We'll see tho, I might have to bring it to the dealership in a couple thousand more miles and ask them to check A/F ratios and perhaps the O2 sensor.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:23 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Burrcold
In my 04 6MT coupe I get no less then 500 km/tank city and usually around 600 km's all highway. I got 636 km's once on a straight drive to Windsor and back, was going to try and get to 650 but didn't want to get greedy lol

Been up to 730 km on mine which left about 5-6 litres in the tank.

Old 03-06-2006, 04:43 PM
I bought the G35C 6MT for miles per hour, not miles per gallon.

Or, in Canadian terms, kilometers per hour, not kilometers per liter.

And for those in the prairies, hectares per kilowatt hour, not hectares per cistern.

Oh, before I got the G, I looked at an Altima SE-R because it had such favourable right-ups and represented good bang for the buck. When I test drove it and hit the go pedal, there was an annoying little analog guage that showed avg. mileage (or fuel consumption rate, something like that), and the needle would drop down every time.

Though a tiny contributing factor, that is not why I decided against the Altima - I just didn't like the way it drove.

Mileage is a concern for some to some degree - so I'm not bashing anyone for being concerned - just having a bit of fun...and speaking of which, it's time to drive home!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: City drivers - what mileage do you get?