Canada Serving Canada.

Drying Your Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2006 | 12:56 PM
Waterblade works well. I've used them before. Gets the majority of the water off. Then I use just a plain old terry cloth towel to do the rest, go over the door jams, trunk and underhood. Then I throw the towels in the "dirty basket" to be washed when my supply of towels run low.

Old 03-12-2006 | 02:07 PM
where can we find the california water blade?

Old 03-12-2006 | 02:17 PM
I use sheep skin. It's great for drying without waterspots.

Now what do you guys wash with? I hear sponge and towels are no good (swirls), brushed carwashes are no good (swirls again), brushless carwashes are no good (not clean enough).

I'm not handwashing the car until I find a definitive swirl free method to handwashing. In the meantime, I'll just keep blowing $10 at a time on those half-assed touchless washes.

Last edited by Iso Octane; 03-12-2006 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-12-2006 | 02:47 PM
|
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by Iso Octane
I use sheep skin. It's great for drying without waterspots.

Now what do you guys wash with? I hear sponge and towels are no good (swirls), brushed carwashes are no good (swirls again), brushless carwashes are no good (not clean enough).

I'm not handwashing the car until I find a definitive swirl free method to handwashing. In the meantime, I'll just keep blowing $10 at a time on those half-assed touchless washes.
I have always used authentic sheepskin wash mitts. I make sure that they are always clean and they seem to work well. I am wondering if they can cause swirl marks now! Talk about swirl mark paranoia or what!

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:26 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by canuck
Thanks Colin. I just checked and am in need of Z5, Z6, and Z10. We have an absolutely beautiful day here today and I just finished applying a coat of Z5. Just gotta wait for it to dry now.

Ok bro. I'll get one of each and bring it with me.
Today here (this morning) is sunny and warm....about 15C! and perfect for Zainoing......
Enjoy the warmth and let's hope it continues......

C.

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:32 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by canuck
I have always used authentic sheepskin wash mitts. I make sure that they are always clean and they seem to work well. I am wondering if they can cause swirl marks now! Talk about swirl mark paranoia or what!
+1.... I use the same mitts, Shane & Iso Octane, and like you, Shane, I keep them clean. I also use Zaino Z-7 for the suds and it seems to do a great job.
Wayne got me into using Z-7 last year. He swears by it now. Great stuff.

Colin

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:35 PM
I'll just reiterate what's been said, but I use the water blade for larger water buildups, and a chamois for the rest (microfiber towel for any small touchups)

Old 03-12-2006 | 03:38 PM
I use the Absorber syn. chamois. I have been using the mr.Clean car wash thing, hard water filter is great and the gun has a spot free rinse setting. Overall I ma pleased with both. I don't know on black though? I no longer drive my G when it's raining, so I usually use a Califonia Duster and then Eagle One QD. Car is always shining!

Old 03-12-2006 | 06:39 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Yes, Shane, ScottR has brought up a good point about Mr. Clean Auto dry system. I've used it and it's excellent. No need to chamois so no chance for swirls at all.
It's been so long since I've done a decent wash, I'd forgotten about that kit.

Bought it at CTC and well worth the $$$$.

Colin.

Old 03-12-2006 | 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Yes, Shane, ScottR has brought up a good point about Mr. Clean Auto dry system. I've used it and it's excellent. No need to chamois so no chance for swirls at all.
It's been so long since I've done a decent wash, I'd forgotten about that kit.

Bought it at CTC and well worth the $$$$.

Colin.
You can make the same by adding a little water softener to a bucket of water, then wrinse your car off with that... that's your magic "ionizer"

Old 03-12-2006 | 11:10 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by dofu
You can make the same by adding a little water softener to a bucket of water, then wrinse your car off with that... that's your magic "ionizer"
Thanks for the tip, Dofu.....I'll give it a try. Which softener do you suggest?
C.

Old 03-12-2006 | 11:17 PM
Optional
Absorber over the entire car...and a microfiber scrubbing cloth (while washing and VERY sudsy) to scrub the roadrash junk from beneath the side sills and from beneath the splash guards

Old 03-13-2006 | 12:25 AM
From: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Just got back from Guelph and a Zaino pick-up. For the rest of the month, shipping is free, everyone, according to our Zaino man Mike (oh well, the drive was nice anyway). I'll let everyone know how the new Z8 works as soon as I get back to NS and have a warm day.
As for drying, I'm doing what Zaino recommends, soft, terry towel, 100% cotton. Most important thing to do (according to Mike's Zaino competition Tom at www.carpolish.ca) is to ensure that you don't swirl, ever. Straight lines towards the ground (same theory as polarized sunglasses), no circles, ever. I've done this for over a year, with great results.

Cheers,
D

Old 03-13-2006 | 09:45 AM
PDT
I've been using the Absorber and Simoniz Speed Dry Cloth. Both have worked great for me!

Old 03-14-2006 | 06:01 PM
I get my Zanio from Tom in Burlington. I have a black Z and after he detailed it for me and showed me how to do it is 2 1/2 years old and look better than the new cars in the dealers show room. I use the cotton towels i bought from Tom cut them up and use them to wash my car. I also use them to dry the car and for buffing the Zaino. You have to cut the ends off on the towels. Anything else will put marks on your car! You should never use a wash mit or a blade or a shammy on your car. Tom was very adimate about that and from that day on i got rid of all those things and the z looks great. I bought the towels from Tom. He is a great guy who saved the finnish on my Z. Got the Z 8. Words do not describe this product as the result is unbeilvable. " The car looks like a Black mirror."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drying Your Car