Canada Serving Canada.

Drying Your Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 06:37 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having spoke to both Tom and Mike, I think it's great that both guys are really enthusiastic and knowledgeable. I try to give business to both guys, as they have both been really good in passing along tips that aren't necessarily available on the website. I'm not surprised at all with your story, smz. Any pics of the car with the Z8, smz?

Cheers,
Derek

Old 03-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Received 240 Likes on 196 Posts
Originally Posted by Msedanman
Thanks for the tip, Dofu.....I'll give it a try. Which softener do you suggest?
C.
I don't suggest it. That stuff's gotta be bad on the clearcoat... If you read my first post in this thread about how I dry my car, you'll see that I get down and dirty and dry my car by hand.
That's just why I don't use the Mr Clean system as anything but a high pressure hose and soap dispenser...

Old 03-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by derek
As for drying, I'm doing what Zaino recommends, soft, terry towel, 100% cotton. Most important thing to do (according to Mike's Zaino competition Tom at www.carpolish.ca) is to ensure that you don't swirl, ever. Straight lines towards the ground (same theory as polarized sunglasses), no circles, ever. I've done this for over a year, with great results.

Cheers,
D
+1^^^ after a wash with the Z7 I use the cotton towel as Derek does, but I never dried in a straight line as suggested. Excellent tip, thanks Derek.
If I have time I always finish up with the gloss enhancer Z6 and MF towels. And like I said before Zaino rocks . Thanks to Colin and Ian for getting me into the Zaino Club.

Old 03-15-2006, 07:24 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
+ Thanks to Colin and Ian for getting me into the Zaino Club.
Ditto, thanks to both of you guys I am a Zaino addict.......and that's a good thing!

Old 03-15-2006, 06:40 PM
I've used a California Water Blade for two years now and it has cut my drying time to half. Many areas can't be reached by the blade but a soft absorbent terricloth does the rest. Of course I make sure there is a good coat of wax underneath -- I use Meguire's High Tech Yellow Wax no.22.

Purchased my water blade at Canadian Tire... I used my CDN Tire dollars and saved almost half I've seen them at Walmart every so often as well.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:29 PM
Originally Posted by secksi
where can we find the california water blade?
I got mine from Canadian Tires, it was like 35 somthing 2 years ago...don't know if the price changed or not. Hope it helps.

Old 03-16-2006, 06:54 PM
Traveling Administrator
Good to know that the water blade can be purchased at CT. I think I'll pick one up next time I am there and give it a try.

Here is the link to it with price.

http://tinyurl.com/oa34f

Old 03-16-2006, 07:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm too damn lazy to wash my own car. I pay a detailer $25 once a week for hand wash, windows and tire shine. I have a Zaino kit I used once last summer if anyone is interested, I'll bring it to one of the upcoming meets.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:25 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
Good to know that the water blade can be purchased at CT. I think I'll pick one up next time I am there and give it a try.

Here is the link to it with price.

http://tinyurl.com/oa34f
FWIW..
I bought one to try & didn't really like it...

Blower & MF towel to finish is what I prefer.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:27 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by inTgr8r
FWIW..
I bought one to try & didn't really like it...

Blower & MF towel to finish is what I prefer.
Thanks for the heads up Ian. What didn't you like about it? Did it not work very well?

Old 03-16-2006, 07:29 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
I'm too damn lazy to wash my own car. I pay a detailer $25 once a week for hand wash, windows and tire shine. I have a Zaino kit I used once last summer if anyone is interested, I'll bring it to one of the upcoming meets.
Nice, the advantages of living in the city. The closest detailer to me is probably 1 1/2 hours away. Oh well, I don't mind getting close and personal with the G and giving her a rub down once in a while (when it's warm out) .

Old 03-16-2006, 07:32 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
I guess it takes a little practice to get good results.
Basically I didn't have the patience.

You can run most of the water off OK, but after that it wants to grab/skip accross the paint.
Still def need a towel to finish.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Traveling Administrator
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Nice, the advantages of living in the city. The closest detailer to me is probably 1 1/2 hours away. Oh well, I don't mind getting close and personal with the G and giving her a rub down once in a while (when it's warm out) .
I don't mind it either Wayne......in fact spending a few hours detailing my G is my own personal therapy!!

Old 03-26-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by smz black
I get my Zanio from Tom in Burlington. I have a black Z and after he detailed it for me and showed me how to do it is 2 1/2 years old and look better than the new cars in the dealers show room. I use the cotton towels i bought from Tom cut them up and use them to wash my car. I also use them to dry the car and for buffing the Zaino. You have to cut the ends off on the towels. Anything else will put marks on your car! You should never use a wash mit or a blade or a shammy on your car. Tom was very adimate about that and from that day on i got rid of all those things and the z looks great. I bought the towels from Tom. He is a great guy who saved the finnish on my Z. Got the Z 8. Words do not describe this product as the result is unbeilvable. " The car looks like a Black mirror."
Burlington? What shop is this at?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Drying Your Car