Canada Serving Canada.

Springs/Shocks Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2006 | 03:29 PM
|
Just got the car back. Cost me $320 including an alignment, taxes in.

They don't use that laser thing to bring the camber back in, so I might have to go to a place that does that. They said the back is out by 0.1% and the front by 1.0%. Not sure how significant that is, but when I get new wheels/tires I'll probably get it realigned.

I like the drop; the front is more pronounced than the back, but I won't appreciate it fully until I get these silly 17" winter tires off.

Is it possible it will lower a bit more? Do the springs have to settle?

They said the fronts are easy to adjust, but the backs are a pain. Thing is, I was supposed to get those extension things from Creative when I ordered that makes adjustingthe backs easier. Doesn't look like I received them.

Old 03-28-2006 | 03:58 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Staff Alumni

I should have mentioned...
The car will take a while to settle, I like to wait for a week to get the alignment done.

Old 03-28-2006 | 05:36 PM
If you happen to have pics (or measurements), I'd love to see them, because I'm considering the same/similar setup.

I'm definitely getting the d-specs, and either 350z springs, or the Tein's. Did you get the Teins for the 350 or the G35? If you have the 350 Teins, then I'm super interested in how low the car is. I really don't want to go so low that I have trouble getting in an out of driveways, etc.

Chico dropped off some rims at my place (new development, lots of ruts, etc), and couldn't get into the neighbourhood. I realize this is not normal, but I'd prefer to keep it higher than what he's got. The Eibachs say 1.1", but everyone who has them says it's lower than that.

So I feel like the htechs for the 350z would be lower than the Eibachs, but the htechs for the G35 are not linear and seem to be quite soft in the back, and stiff in the front. This lowness scares the crap out of me.

They don't look very low in pictures, but in real life look like they could be troublesome.

It's amazing how much difference an inch makes

Originally Posted by eledin
Just got the car back. Cost me $320 including an alignment, taxes in.

They don't use that laser thing to bring the camber back in, so I might have to go to a place that does that. They said the back is out by 0.1% and the front by 1.0%. Not sure how significant that is, but when I get new wheels/tires I'll probably get it realigned.

I like the drop; the front is more pronounced than the back, but I won't appreciate it fully until I get these silly 17" winter tires off.

Is it possible it will lower a bit more? Do the springs have to settle?

They said the fronts are easy to adjust, but the backs are a pain. Thing is, I was supposed to get those extension things from Creative when I ordered that makes adjustingthe backs easier. Doesn't look like I received them.

Old 03-28-2006 | 05:40 PM
Doh, just noticed your signature. You do have the 350z htechs!

Any info you can provide around lowness would be excellent. I frequently park at BCE place downtown and feel a pretty big 'bump' coming out of there. I don't want to have to find a new place to park

Thanks for any insights. Maybe if we're having a meet pretty soon, I can just hold off, and come for spin in your ride!

Originally Posted by Esoteric
If you happen to have pics (or measurements), I'd love to see them, because I'm considering the same/similar setup.

I'm definitely getting the d-specs, and either 350z springs, or the Tein's. Did you get the Teins for the 350 or the G35? If you have the 350 Teins, then I'm super interested in how low the car is. I really don't want to go so low that I have trouble getting in an out of driveways, etc.

Chico dropped off some rims at my place (new development, lots of ruts, etc), and couldn't get into the neighbourhood. I realize this is not normal, but I'd prefer to keep it higher than what he's got. The Eibachs say 1.1", but everyone who has them says it's lower than that.

So I feel like the htechs for the 350z would be lower than the Eibachs, but the htechs for the G35 are not linear and seem to be quite soft in the back, and stiff in the front. This lowness scares the crap out of me.

They don't look very low in pictures, but in real life look like they could be troublesome.

It's amazing how much difference an inch makes

Old 03-28-2006 | 05:42 PM
|
I was in a rush this morning and forgot to take before measurements.

I'll take some pics as soon as I get the winters off

I'm definitely getting the d-specs, and either 350z springs, or the Tein's. Did you get the Teins for the 350 or the G35?
I got the 350z HTechs.

If you have the 350 Teins, then I'm super interested in how low the car is. I really don't want to go so low that I have trouble getting in an out of driveways, etc.
I think they have to settle a bit to their final height, but we'll see what issues I have with my driveway once the OEM front lip is installed. The garage said the front dropped almost an inch. I believe the specs are supposed to be around 0.7-0.8" listed.

Old 03-28-2006 | 05:51 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Another stoopid moment on my part because I just realized that you have a coupe, whereas I have a sedan. The advertised drop for the 350Z H-techs is 0.3 and 0.2 front and rear. Add in the inch extra for the sedan and I would see a drop of 1.3 and 1.2.

I guess all I have to do is figure out how the dropped sedan compares to the stock coupe (i.e. would a sedan dropped 1.3 and 1.2 be pretty much like a stock coupe?).

I'll also check in with Chico to see what his actual drop ended up being.

I was in a rush this morning and forgot to take before measurements.

I'll take some pics as soon as I get the winters off

I got the 350z HTechs.

I think they have to settle a bit to their final height, but we'll see what issues I have with my driveway once the OEM front lip is installed. The garage said the front dropped almost an inch. I believe the specs are supposed to be around 0.7-0.8" listed.

Old 03-28-2006 | 06:47 PM
|
Well, Creative is resending me the rear extension dampeners since they never came, so I'll have to get those installed too.

How do most people have theirs set? That is, how many 'turns'. I guess it depends on what you like, but just curious.

Old 03-28-2006 | 11:46 PM
Well I don't have mine yet (can't wait), but from my research it seems like many people have them 4 turns from full hard. I've spoken to a couple people that have them at 3.5 from full hard and say it's definitely stiff, but still bareable.

So I guess somewhere between 3.5 and 4 seems to be the norm.

Well, Creative is resending me the rear extension dampeners since they never came, so I'll have to get those installed too.

How do most people have theirs set? That is, how many 'turns'. I guess it depends on what you like, but just curious.

Old 03-29-2006 | 02:46 PM
|
Getting the OEM front lip installed right now so it'll be interesting to see how low that front bumber is to the ground with the drop + lip.

Old 03-29-2006 | 03:26 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Well I don't have mine yet (can't wait), but from my research it seems like many people have them 4 turns from full hard. I've spoken to a couple people that have them at 3.5 from full hard and say it's definitely stiff, but still bareable.

So I guess somewhere between 3.5 and 4 seems to be the norm.

I have experimented with mine from 6 turns to 2. IMHO anything under 3.5 would only be suitable for very good roads or real sport driving. I think the stock equivalent for my M6 coupe with sport suspension would be around 5-5.5
I have them at 4 and that's a nice upgrade in handling feel without being at all harsh.

Old 03-29-2006 | 05:37 PM
|
Getting the OEM front lip installed right now so it'll be interesting to see how low that front bumber is to the ground with the drop + lip.
It's on. Looks good. Plenty of room still.

Old 03-29-2006 | 09:09 PM
I can hook you guys with a place that can do that for approximately $300 for the complete shocks/springs install + a digitialized alignment

The shop is at Richmond Hill, you can PM me for details