Canada Serving Canada.

Used G35, things to watch for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ABQ_G35
How do you roll back the mileage on a digital odo?
I do not know how, but I know ppl can do it. Coz one of my friend sell cars in Hong Kong, and he's selling one of his benz (those s500) with a rolled back milage from like 40k to 20k "around"...it cost only like 800HKD...which's like 120 CND...

Ya, so again...just unplug the battery and you will know if it's rolled or not.

Old 03-24-2006, 05:34 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I noticed the Nissan Dealer in Waterloo has a G35 2003 for sale for 29999. I've dealt with them and they are good. Won awards etc.
Just FYI and price point.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Rated M

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canuck
Yep, exactly......alot of the curb side dealers that you speak of get alot of their vehicles from auctions. At least they do here in the maritimes. I have heard a lot of cases where mileage has been rolled back. Definitely get try and purchase from an Infiniti or Nissan dealership like Chico suggested. At the very least, have the G inspected by an Infiniti dealership.

Good luck with your purchase.
Hey Shane,

Most of the cars at curb side dealers come from trade ins at franchise dealerships. These are cars the dealer won't keep because of higher mileage, suspect problems or high reconditioning costs. Usually new car dealers have a few regular curbside dealers they wholesale these cars out to. Basically these are cars below the franchise dealer standard and they don't want to have to stand behind for warranty and quality purposes. Other times they just don't want another piece in their inventory so it's easier to just wholesale it quickly. The curb side guys also buy from the auction but these tend to be the slightly older models and higher miles.

Most new car dealers have a large percentage of their used car inventory (50-60%) they buy at the auction. These are trade ins, fleet cars, rental cars etc.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:31 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by BbyG35
There was talk about a class action lawsuit concerning the excessive wear of the brakes and rotors warping. Nissan/Infiniti countered this by extending the brake warranty on the 2003 sedans and non-Brembo coupes to 60,000km or 3 years.

There has been also some transmission issues with the 2003/4 models... have not heard about alot of cases with G35's but many 350Z owners have experienced issues... some of them on their 3rd transmission.

Tire feathering problems in my research has ony really occured in 2003 and early production 2004 350Z's --- have not heard of coupe problems.

There is also a TSB out there for axle clunking on some early model coupes.

Other than this most other issues are relatively minor: window pops, body creaks, sunroof clicking, A/C controller, grease on inside of door window, etc.

Check out the thread re: TSB's to get a better idea.

Good information. A couple of updates for you....

my 04.5 coupe has feathering problems. It also had the axle clicking you described for early model coupes, but is a later model. No transmission issue though.

Old 03-24-2006, 08:58 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Only one issue with my '03 Coupe.......and it was a biggie: the Feathering that RBull (Deane) just mentioned.
After I sold it to my bro, he bought 2 new sets of tires in 20k clicks, had umteen alignment checks and adjustments (at his expense), and still the issue existed, and a fix was not forthcoming either.

Nissan really needs to step up for owners with this problem as they did for 350z owners, but so far NADA.

My bro is now in a new Accord and happy once again.

C.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:13 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by Msedanman
:

Nissan really needs to step up for owners with this problem as they did for 350z owners, but so far NADA.

C.
^+1.
Colin, I love this car but don't even want to start the list of issues with only 14k.

Old 03-24-2006, 09:48 PM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by RBull
^+1.
Colin, I love this car but don't even want to start the list of issues with only 14k.
Deane, is O'Reagans helping you with any your issues?

Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 PM
Rated M

Originally Posted by canuck
Deane, is O'Reagans helping you with any your issues?

O'Regans has been pretty good yes. They haven't helped with the feathering issue though and haven't been able to diagnose a very loud howling noise drivetrain related for first 5 minutes driving when car is cold.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:24 PM
O.F. Administrator
O'Regans has been pretty good yes. They haven't helped with the feathering issue though and haven't been able to diagnose a very loud howling noise drivetrain related for first 5 minutes driving when car is cold.
Terry, (my bro) had that howling on the coupe after the tires got really feathered. It was quite bad from about 40 kph down to about 10.
Up at hwy speeds it wasn't very noticeable at all, but did it howl at low speeds.
I don't know if it was just while it was cold (first 5 minutes)???

Deane, Have you tried another set of wheels/tires to see if the howling disappears? Might be worth the effort. If you don't have another set, perhaps O'Regans wouldn't mind subbing another set for a short test drive.
C.

Old 03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Rated M

Terry, (my bro) had that howling on the coupe after the tires got really feathered. It was quite bad from about 40 kph down to about 10.
Up at hwy speeds it wasn't very noticeable at all, but did it howl at low speeds.
I don't know if it was just while it was cold (first 5 minutes)???

Deane, Have you tried another set of wheels/tires to see if the howling disappears? Might be worth the effort. If you don't have another set, perhaps O'Regans wouldn't mind subbing another set for a short test drive.
C.
I don't think it's the tires Colin. I've had that issue with other high performance tires and know the sound they make. I had them flipped and the same noise is still there and seems to be more on driver side and towards rear. The noise used to be sporadic but now it seems to be all the time but only when car is cold. Even my wife has mentioned it the few times she drives with me. So I know it's bad when she brings it up.

Old 03-24-2006, 11:17 PM
O.F. Administrator
Yeah that does sound like a different issue.... YOu thinking suspension, driveshaft, bearings, or diff????-- Thankfully the warmer weather is coming and you won't get much noise....
Makes you wonder what the problem is tho???
C.

Old 03-25-2006, 08:55 AM
Rated M

Yeah that does sound like a different issue.... YOu thinking suspension, driveshaft, bearings, or diff????-- Thankfully the warmer weather is coming and you won't get much noise....
Makes you wonder what the problem is tho???
C.

Bearing or diff is my thinking. Hopefully we can figure it out.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Bearing or diff is my thinking. Hopefully we can figure it out.
Yeah, absolutely.....as you've gathered, it will probably get worse.

At least then it'll be easier to pinpoint.

G/L
C.

Old 03-25-2006, 05:53 PM
Rated M

Yeah, absolutely.....as you've gathered, it will probably get worse.

At least then it'll be easier to pinpoint.

G/L
C.
Got my baby out yesterday. Put in a new mobil 1 filter and syn oil to match. Installed the copper throttle body heater. Had to take the plenum back off since there was a leak and very rough idle. Still ran strong out on the street though. Tiny part of the gasket folded over in the back and was able to fix it and reinstall. PITA Also did my first pedal reset and then played around with the DSpecs. All is good. Going out for another little ride now.

May change the diff fluid again tomorrow if I can pick some up tonight.

Old 03-26-2006, 11:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got my baby out yesterday. Put in a new mobil 1 filter and syn oil to match. Installed the copper throttle body heater. Had to take the plenum back off since there was a leak and very rough idle. Still ran strong out on the street though. Tiny part of the gasket folded over in the back and was able to fix it and reinstall. PITA Also did my first pedal reset and then played around with the DSpecs. All is good. Going out for another little ride now.

May change the diff fluid again tomorrow if I can pick some up tonight.
I'm jealous Looked at the G yesterday and still WAY too much snow on the streets to bring it out for a spin. This waiting for spring to arrive and get working on the car ....... is just fu**'n frustrating.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Used G35, things to watch for?