Canada Serving Canada.

Snows are off...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2006 | 07:44 PM
|
Snows are off...

With the ideal weather we had today, I decided to take the snows off the G. Here are some details:

- bought G (auto sedan w/ 17" all season RSA's) Aug 24 2005;
- put Dunlop M3s on Sport Edition wheels from TireRack, on about November;
- all seasons had 10,500 kms on them at this point;
- snows come off today, Apr 2 2006;
- car has 30,002 kms at this point;
- front brakes seem at least 75-80% remaining (see pic);
- rear brakes seem about 50%;
- For receiving 20,000 kms of use, the Dunlops wore extremely well (see pic) considering they even saw Florida this winter - no feathering, lots of tread life - I just keep an eye on the air pressure and it seems that the alignment/camber/toe is great;
- the RSAs are a bit more responsive than the M3s, but outside of that, I absolutely commend the design of the M3s in that they really are a great tire. Only slightly (and I do mean slightly) noisier than the RSAs

One thing that I thought might get corrected is the speedometer error that I've noticed on my car. When travelling at an indicated 120kms, my nav gps (Audiovox PPC6600/garmin bluetooth receiver and software) indicates 117. It's consistant throughout the speedo range. i thought maybe the snows were undersize, even though they are direct replacement for my 17's. It appears my OEM rubber returns the same results. Has anyone else noticed a speedo discrepancy? Can someone else run a gps and compare? I'm going to bring it up with the dealer now that the summers are back on. It's not a huge deal, but if I'm getting robbed 3 or 4% in mileage, I'll definitely have them look at it.

Spring is officially here for me now. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Snows are off...-30kmfrontbrake.jpg   Snows are off...-20kmsnows.jpg  
Old 04-02-2006 | 09:13 PM
Great to hear the good report on the Dunlop M3s Albert, especially driving south and back on them.
I would like to put the 18" summers on but my wife still has long commutes and the weatherman still has snow in the forecast for our area, so the Blizzaks are on for another few weeks yet.

Old 04-03-2006 | 04:37 PM
|
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Great to hear the good report on the Dunlop M3s Albert, especially driving south and back on them.
I would like to put the 18" summers on but my wife still has long commutes and the weatherman still has snow in the forecast for our area, so the Blizzaks are on for another few weeks yet.
Most certainly keep the snows on, in your area. I've got all seasons with only 10k on them, so I'm sure that I'll be able to get through any possible snowfall that we may get. If I had summers, I'd be waiting still.

Old 04-03-2006 | 05:39 PM
O.F. Administrator
Staff Alumni
I've always checked my speedos and odometers primarily by the markers on the 401, and found that they (the markers) are reasonably accurate over a longer distance.

The 401 markers, my OEM navis, and the hand help Lowrance GlabalMap 100 GPS I have, all confirm that my Infinitis are within 2% of speed indicated and distance travelled.

Let us know what the dealer says about your ride's inaccuracies.

I'd like to know at what point they'll do something, and how they check the accuracy too.
C.

Old 04-03-2006 | 08:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by Msedanman
I've always checked my speedos and odometers primarily by the markers on the 401, and found that they (the markers) are reasonably accurate over a longer distance.

The 401 markers, my OEM navis, and the hand help Lowrance GlabalMap 100 GPS I have, all confirm that my Infinitis are within 2% of speed indicated and distance travelled.

Let us know what the dealer says about your ride's inaccuracies.

I'd like to know at what point they'll do something, and how they check the accuracy too.
C.
I'll be sure to do that, Colin.

I watched Driver Television a couple weeks ago, where they tested 7 economic commuters and not two of the cars had the same odo reading after a 200 km "real world" trip, even though they did drive the same route. As high as 7 km difference over that trip.

Not sure when I'll send the car in as it just got an oil change, but I will bring it up with them.

Old 04-04-2006 | 09:57 AM
Noob question.. but how can you tell that you have 75-80% life left on your brakes?

Old 04-04-2006 | 10:03 AM
my summers went on on saturday - woohoo!

Old 04-04-2006 | 11:05 AM
Just wanted to let everyone know, this product may resolve the distance error issues with cars. I do have it installed on my bike and there is car applications for this. Have a look:

Speedohealer

E.

Old 04-04-2006 | 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by jasonintoronto
my summers went on on saturday - woohoo!
also running summer's for about a week now.

Old 04-04-2006 | 12:53 PM
Heck it just started snowing here and the visibility is not very good. My wife has to drive 60 miles home on her commute, got the X, got snows, she will have no problem . Just have to wait longer to put the summers on. I'm thinking the 3rd or 4th week of April. You never know what these Lake Huron streamers will bring in .

Old 04-04-2006 | 01:12 PM
Rated M
Premier Member
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Heck it just started snowing here and the visibility is not very good. My wife has to drive 60 miles home on her commute, got the X, got snows, she will have no problem . Just have to wait longer to put the summers on. I'm thinking the 3rd or 4th week of April. You never know what these Lake Huron streamers will bring in .

Stay safe Wayne and Karen.

We're good here now. No snow for about a month and by now we're done.

Any little skiff that might arise will be gone the next day but the forecast looks good for the next few weeks.

Took the snows off the company vehicle last weekend and plan to do my wife's car this weekend.

Deane

Old 04-04-2006 | 01:13 PM
woo hoo !!! I see snow flake outside the door !!! Right at this moment !!! hope it won't stack up...coz my summer is on already. m(T.T)m

Kcc

Old 04-04-2006 | 04:24 PM
wow...it's snow'n harder !!! Colin, if you see this message, come pick me up off work.....I can't go home with my summer on !!!!

I am located at Finch and Midland...any other place is snow'n now?

Kcc

Old 04-04-2006 | 04:26 PM
me too I should be able to survive this.....

Old 04-04-2006 | 04:31 PM
haha...need a taxi #??? We G gonna go on Taxi with our car park in the lot !!! woo hoo~~~

Kcc

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snows are off...