Carputer, Stock Head Unit, and Dream Sheet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caelric
I'm still torn between a regular Small form factor PC, and one of the specialized ones on MP3car.com (Opus, etc...). Probably will go with one of the specialized ones.
There are a lot of things to consider with the "Specialized" ones. I purchased one of these rebranded PCs from CappuccinoPC.com and I wouldn't do it again if I could.

First off, virtually ALL of the specialized PCs come with integrated video chipsets, and 99% of them use Intel. Almost ALL of these integrated video chipsets do not display the native 800x480 (or whatever it is... I think that's right) of the Xenarc LCD. It's virtually impossible to tweak the display using 3rd party apps (like Powerstrip) to tweak a display to run 800x480 when it is being powered by an integrated chipset.

This is why you'll want to look at using a PCI vid card, and ATIs are known to be good with this aspect of carPCs, plus they run cooler than geforce based cards.

Secondly, integrating an intelligent startup/shutdown controller can be troublesome. Many of these "specialized" PCs do not have a standard power on/off button that connects to a set of jumpers on the motherboard - something that (I think) every shutdown controller requires.

Thirdly, many of these specialized PCs use external AC adapter "bricks". This makes it very difficult to connect DC-DC power supplies to them because these power supplies often expect to connec to a PC via the standard ATX power supply cable... which often times does not exist when the PC uses an external power supply "brick." There are some cables you can find that allow you to connect the power plug on these PCs to an Opus or other PSU, but I'm just warning you it's more difficult.

The reason I bought the Capp.PC was because of it's size, it's really small. And I did not want to fool with making all of the guts of the PC work together (Get a mobo, get a CPU, get memory, get a video card, make it all work, etc, etc). I did not realize all of the other things I've just mentioned when I bought it, otherwise I would have done things differently. Now I'm trying to decide if I want to trudge forward with what I have, or start over with new hardware. Ugh...

Old 09-30-2005, 01:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I made a box for my carpc, use an opus 150W with built in startup-shutdown controller tied to my ignition line.

I have a 2.0 Ghz machine running Frodoplayer as my frontend with IGuidance embedded. Have around 20 GB of mp3's. Movies, USB DVD Drive to the front. My 4-port USB hub is self powered. Just hook it up to an existing USB port. Get it off Newegg.

I also use a Mini-Key USB keyboard - no drivers at all needed. Installing my rear view camera right now which will turn on automatically in reverse and will also record while driving when the NationalGClub goes on our spirited runs. Has Wifi as well synched to my home network - just drive into my garage and with a click I have all my mp3's from my home computer.
For sound I got onboard SoundBlaster Live 5.1 tied in with my Bose and my JL sub and 4080 box, my trunk still has some room believe it or not

Do yourself a favor and do NOT compromise on this. You'll find yourself re-doing what you've done already. I've spent countless hours researching on mp3car.com - I'm sorry my reply is so scattered but im typing a mile a minute here with work. If you got any questions feel free to ask. Im sure you can search by my name on a thread I started with all the pics of my setup currently including a video I hosted on Putfile if you wanna see it in action. I've made a few custom Infiniti skins for Frodo which is why the menu looks pretty damn sweet. Good luck.

Old 09-30-2005, 05:04 PM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
No comprimises here; the specialized ones on MP3car.com (especially the OPUS one), and still be able to fit a Pentium M mini ITX motherboard in, and two PCI cards (on a riser) One of these cards will be a PCI graphics card, the other....maybe sound card, not sure. Planning on using a USB wireless G interface, and a USB DVD drive mounted up front, as well as a USB GPS and of course, a powered USB hub for all that

Dave

Old 10-14-2005, 12:36 PM
I like the new forum style, it brings out the individual threads.

My carpc plans are still waiting for my return from Iraq, and the DW screen for the 2005. Should make a nice christmas present for me!

Dave

Old 10-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Would it be cheaper to build a decent carpc then to get the navigation system from Infiniti?

Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM
Yes, depending.

Depending on whether you do the work yourself or not, the overall quality and cost of the components, and the total amount of stuff you put in there.

A basic system, with a DW screen can be done for about $1000-$1200, if you do the install yourself. On the other hand, if you go top of the line components, you add amps, you adda lot of capabilites to it, you integrate it with the steering wheel controls, I can easily see it adding up to $5000, or more.

It all depends on what you want.

Dave

Old 10-14-2005, 01:41 PM
That is true. So much to do.....so little cash.

Old 10-14-2005, 03:04 PM
Pagal....if you want to go with carpc then I'd recommend going with the digital wheelz screen cuz it's touch screen and plus you can easily mount a dvd/cdr drive in the upper glove box. I have navi and wish i had those 2 options open for me, but unfortunately do not. If i wasn't trying to accomodate my OEM navi, my carpc would have been done way long ago. And don't forget, if you go carpc you can always add a USB navi system to the pc and you get the best of both worlds.

Old 10-15-2005, 04:22 AM
Originally Posted by klwoods
Pagal....if you want to go with carpc then I'd recommend going with the digital wheelz screen cuz it's touch screen and plus you can easily mount a dvd/cdr drive in the upper glove box. I have navi and wish i had those 2 options open for me, but unfortunately do not. If i wasn't trying to accomodate my OEM navi, my carpc would have been done way long ago. And don't forget, if you go carpc you can always add a USB navi system to the pc and you get the best of both worlds.
Yea I saw the digital wheelz unit and its really nice, but I wish there was a way to make it motorized like the stock nav is. My apologies if I have gone off subject of the thread.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Here is a link to a thread that describes my carPC setup. I actually do have an exhaust fan that blows out the right side rear trunk vent to keep the system cool while running in hot weather.

(PS. Why are all the pics on this site screwed up?)

Old 10-19-2005, 09:02 AM
Originally Posted by rcdash
(PS. Why are all the pics on this site screwed up?)
The admin upgraded the vBulliten software and apparently the new version, combined with the version of mySQL they are running, corrupts images that are transfered from old versions of vBulliten (and perhaps old versions of mySQL? no idea).

It sucks, makes virtually all of the DIYs useless. which is why I started http://digitalwheelz.com/diy ... wanted the data to be permenant.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I've got a question for the Carpc Guru's out there- :

talk to me about configuration when wiring the carpc direct line to battery to enable it (choice) to remain On - and set the carpc go into "sleep mode" after "X" many minutes, also, have the 'wake' function tied to a device..

- How many amps or how quickly would a pc in sleep mode kill the battery? or running normal off the battery?
- Anyone ever integrate a car alarm w/ a carpc?

I kno there's a couple of So Cal tekkys out there who like to push the edge..

preciate it

Old 10-20-2005, 10:51 AM
A shutdown controller does what you are asking. most allow you to specify whether to suspend the PC when the 12v ignition lead loses voltage, or to suspend after x minutes. You could wire up a bypass switch for this with a diode as well so you could manually override all shutdown (dangerous to the battery if you forget you over-rode it and leave the car).

Amount of amps depends on your carPC config. Amount of time it takes to drain the battery so it will not crank depends on the battery, your other equipment, outside temperature even.

Old 10-20-2005, 01:25 PM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
check out mp3car.com. they have "smart" power supplies designed for this purpose. I use an OPUS 150W supply. I do have the PC shut off (not standby) because some software doesn't work right coming out of standby. This is all configurable though. If you go with the OPUS, ask for the version that disconnects power to USB, else USB devices will be powered which will drain your battery to where it will not crank (about 5 days sitting for me).

Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Wow - muchas gracias amthar & rcdash -

I did briefly check out mp3.com, but was hoping I could get a general answer to my questio before I dove in head first- and now I've got it! - and it looks like it's long enough to move to the next step.

--I want to integrate/connect a car alarm (with the perimiter senser) with a carpc. On the carpc; I want to load security software (Axis or something) and hook up a few (TBD) wide ange camera's (used in the FX45 for example) so that when I'm away from my car, I can set the security function "ON", and upon either perimeter movement or motion- the security app will kick on.

I think that would be real slick.. and practical too.. <plus, of course use it as an mp3 server, etc..>

Any comments on my idea?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Carputer, Stock Head Unit, and Dream Sheet