StreetDeck g35 edition released

Just saw it on mp3car.com

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=222

Old 03-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what!!!!! $2K..........

Old 03-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oh please... don't start. Go discover the actual value of this and then come back with your ridiculous comments. My car PC install is around $3k... and I got breaks.

Old 03-27-2006, 04:50 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that screen is a manual screen, right? as in, the housing is not motorized?

Old 03-27-2006, 04:53 PM
it's the digitalwheelz.com screen. no, it's not motorized. No aftermarket screens exist that are motorized and go in the stock screen location. In fact, the ONLY motorized screen that exists for the g35 is supposedly the stock 05 and 06 screens- but this is of course sans VGA input. The stock 03 and 04 stock screens are spring loaded, not motorized.

Old 03-27-2006, 05:07 PM
I want one of these pretty bad. I wish someone would be able to install it for me though, don't want to bring it into a store to install.

Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 PM
What is the difference between this and the streetdeck package at http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=152 ?
Not sure if this G35 edition has things like
- Vehicle Diagnostics - OBD-II connector
-Bluetooth phone integration support
- rear view camera support etc
Also the PC specs are unclear... what is the HD size? Does it include DVD player? keyboard/mouse?

Old 03-27-2006, 10:38 PM
+1 to his questions. Also, most of my music is in aac format (itunes) - will this work? Or is iTunes considered an External App? Finally, what are the install directions like? Any chance of a downloadable instruction manual?

Thanks!
sd_diver

Old 03-27-2006, 11:14 PM
There are no functionality differences. The G35 version comes with a screen that comes out of your console storage pocket... it's the digitalwheelz.com screen. The G35 version also runs on a setup that fits inside a full sized spare (it uses the stealth PC case that was also developed by chuck @ digitalwheelz).

Functionality wise, it's all the same. For specifics re: StreetDeck functionality, I would post in the StreetDeck subforum on the mp3car.com forums. God_of_CPU (chuck @ digitalwheelz.com and @ mp3car.com) haunts there very regularly and you should get a response quickly. The beta testers of StreetDeck also post in there, so they can help you too.

I think currently the only people on g35driver.com other than God_of_CPU that have ANY level of experience with streetdeck is limited to rcdash and myself- and I dont' think either of us would claim to be experts.

I don't know what their plans are as far as installation manuals, but all the DIY instructions for this sort of install already exist. You would use the install guide from digitalwheelz.com for installing the screen. You would use the info regarding how to install an aftermarket amp to help you run the wires from the PC in the trunk to the screen in the dash. The rest would be running and connecting wires.

Old 03-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Thumbs up

All of the manuals are online (check out both www.streetdeck.com and www.digitalwheelz.com and the forums at www.mp3car.com). I installed the audio and pc stuff myself and it was my first time with this sort of stuff. The manuals are really good with pics and step by step. It did take me 3 weekends (I ended up forgetting stuff and taking the dash apart twice).

The "standard" streetdeck package has a motorized flip out screen that fits in a single DIN slot (but you would have to do the double din conversion). The digitalwheelz g35 pkg is nice because it looks stock - just makes use of the cubby. The fact that it is not motorized is NOT an issue. You end up leaving it up all the time - cause you want to use it all the time. Only when I park in a "shady" area do I tuck it away. The fact that it is so high up is sooo nice when using nav or the touchscreen cause you don't have to take your eyes off the road near as much as looking down.

Ok, here's answers to questions:

1. The G35 has a OBD port by the steering wheel column. You can get (separately from sources) generic OBDII scanner (e.g. www.myscantool.com) and StreetDeck will interface with it. There is a newer Nissan-specific tool that is much better called CIPHER (www.uprev.com) that StreetDeck does not YET support natively but it can launch the program for you from within StreetDeck.

2. Bluetooth phone integration is still in the works but I hear its gonna be good (NOT just a USB dongle - much better).

3. Streetdeck supports up to 4 USB cameras (simultaneously even I think) with graphic overlays. But it doesn't come with any. I use a "std" (not USB) rear view camera hooked directly to the AV2 line of the screen. The power is tied to the reverse light. When the car is in reverse, the camera is powered, and the Xenarc screen (which is what the pkg comes with) automatically switches to that video input. When you put it drive, the camera loses power, and the input goes back to the PC.

4. I use iTunes on my home machine also. StreetDeck can auto WiFi sync with your music collection on your home machine and download it all and stay in sync with what you load on your home machine. REALLY cool. BUT I only keep MP3 files. Not sure it can play AAC, particularly if encrypted... You'd have to shoot Chuck a note.

The price is well worth it - particularly if you haven't invested in an expensive multifunction component already (e.g. AVIC, Eclipse HU etc).

Old 03-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Amthar, have you tried out the voice capabilities in StreetDeck yet? Yet another really cool feature. Once you set up your favorite commands to use it, it becomes hard to use anything else... I've got it so it works reliably even under noisy highway driving conditions (my tires need to be changed!).

Old 03-28-2006, 01:48 AM
Received 42 Likes on 15 Posts
For what you get for the price, Streetdeck bundle is well worth it. I went a different route for my CarPC, mostly because I wanted more power than the Streetdeck hardware could provide, but at some point, I may buy the Streetdeck software (if they ever offer it for sale)

I do have the same screen (DigitalWheelz) as the G35 Streetdeck uses, and rcdash is very correct. It's a very nice looking screen that I leave up almost all the time, unless parked in a dangerous area. It looks stock, and it looks good. Very nice and well worth it.

Dave

Old 03-30-2006, 11:06 PM
StreetDeck (program) is awesome. Anfortunatly that link in 1st post is NG.

rcdash, how do you switch to listening (voice recognition) mode? I am currently using touchscreen gestures a lot.

Old 03-31-2006, 08:14 AM
Originally Posted by dovla

rcdash, how do you switch to listening (voice recognition) mode? I am currently using touchscreen gestures a lot.
weird. looks like they took it off of the store.

Old 03-31-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by dovla

You can assign it any keystroke. I think it is the spacebar by default. I have it reassigned, and then use my steering wheel / radio buttons (#3 preset on radio to be exact) to send IR via SWI-X, which gets translated by Girder running on the PC, which sends the keyboard command to StreetDeck.

Very convenient.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: StreetDeck g35 edition released