Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Tint Ticket? Never get one again. :) Loophole

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 10:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Ticket? Never get one again. :) Loophole

Not so much a loophole as a way out.

We got a ticket a while back in my sister-in-laws Mercedes for having too dark of a tint. All she had to do was go to her optomotrist and complain of having sensitive eyes. He wrote a note and all future Tintint tickets and the current one is dismissed. Just an FYI. I live in Cali where it's really strict. I actually do have rather sensitive eyes, so the next time I'm at the optomotrist, I'm asking for a note just in case.

Hope this helps.

04 Sedan. Black W/ Willow. Premium, Navigation, Sport Tuned. Brand Spankin New.

Old 09-19-2003, 01:15 AM
IQ9
Re: Tint Ticket? Never get one again. :) Loophole

Nice tip. Thanks for the incentive to see the eye doc[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

03.5 Sedan/B. Silver/Prem/Winter/Aero/Tint/Rims
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 09-19-2003, 09:03 AM

Thank for the tip! I probably will be moving to NJ very soon and I do not want to remove my tint.

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Valentine 1

Old 09-19-2003, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds good, but I think your sister-in-law got lucky. A smart judge or cop will just say "ever hear of sunglasses?"

2003.5 Sedan Black/Black w/ sport, premium, aero, and winter packages.

Old 09-20-2003, 12:09 PM

Another loophole is to go to any doctor and say that the bright sunlight causes migraine headaches, and sunglasses don't help.

I have a friend with a letter in his car like this, and he's gotten out of a few tickets just by showing this to the cop.

Black/Graphite 5AT Prem/Aero/Perf

Old 09-20-2003, 04:53 PM

http://www.iwfa.com/iwfa/Law_Chart/S...aw%20Chart.htm

Here is An OFFICIAL listing on all states and their window laws... It even lists which states allow medical excuses!

-Eric

'03.5 Bril Silver/Black || Prem || Perf || Aero || Solid Allum Pedals || Allum Matts (Infinit Logo) || Tints<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by RamboRami on 09/20/03 07:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 09-20-2003, 08:05 PM

sweet, thanks for the link. Cali does. woohoo.

04 Sedan. Black W/ Willow. Premium, Navigation, Sport Tuned. Brand Spankin New.

Old 09-21-2003, 11:57 PM

Would anybody happen to know the legal limit in Canada (Ontario)?

Old 09-25-2003, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey sicshift: what exactly does the note say? what are her eyes sensitive towards? is it for sunlight? or for other people's lights? if for lights, you can even tint the front windshield...not that you'd want to...but you can!!!

G35S 6MT
K&N Typhoon intake
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts (soon)
6-wire ground kit

Old 10-01-2003, 12:06 PM

the tint for hypersensitive eyes are cleare tints...and if u tell the cop you have to tint your side windows then u better have your front windows tinted too!!

doesn't work in Canada man...not sure about other states...but medical tints are clear/lightly mirror surfaced not like a limo tint..lol!

Old 10-01-2003, 03:32 PM

Still not worth it to have illegal tint. I would not be worried about the chicken sh*t $80 ticket your going to get for the tint. I would be worried about the ***** cop that wants to bust you for a DUI after you had 2 or 3 beers with your buddies. Having dark tint gives him a reason to pull you over... Last time I checked my eye doctor wasn't giving "get out of jail free" cards.

G35 Coupe/ Red/ 6-Spd/ Premium/ 20"Wheels

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail."
- Abraham Maslow (1908-1970)

Old 10-01-2003, 08:02 PM

I'm not a drunk driver first off, I take cabs. so anyone who's over the legal limit deserves the DUI in my opinion.

Anyway, as to the other poster, it's worked twice with two other people so far. Not failed. I'm not worried about a cheap ticket and I didn't tint too much. (35%) so I don't think I have a high chance like some guys do with the limo tint on the front windows.

04 Sedan. Obs. Black W/ Willow. Premium, Navigation, Sport Tuned. 35% Tint on sides, 20% back, K @ N, Brand Spankin New.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:15 PM

Below is from a similar thread. Basically, if an officer lets someone off for a tint job in CA because that person has any kind of note, that officer just doesn't know the code:

CA Vehicle Code-
Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View-

26708. (a)
(1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

Sun screening devices permitted by paragraph (10) of subdivision (b) of Section 26708 shall meet the following requirements:

(a) The devices shall be held in place by means allowing ready removal from the window area, such as a frame, a rigid material with temporary fasteners, or a flexible roller shade.

(b) Devices utilizing transparent material shall be green, gray, or a neutral smoke in color and shall have a luminous transmittance of not less than 35 percent.

So it looks like you can legally tint your front two windows in CA if you have a note from your doctor (on you), but you can't drive at night with it on, and the method of tint has to be nearly instantly removable. This means a note won't work (or shouldn't work if the officer knows the code), since tint jobs are not readily removable. Even then, you still can't go lower than 35%.

Nice try though, I wish we could legally go darker.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 01-30-2004, 12:42 PM

I live in NJ but want to make a comment about the "Dr.'s Note" If CA is letting you get away with a "Dr.'s Note"...GREAT. Keep in mind that you DO NOT have to tell the copy why you need to tint your car for medical reasons...that is in violation of the Privacy Act (I work for a Pharma company in drug development)...so hand him the note, if he asks what your condition is...tell him, I don't want you violating my medical privacy...Good luck...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tint Ticket? Never get one again. :) Loophole