Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Picus question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picus question

have you compared Menzerna FMJ to Blackfire Diamond sealent? any preference? I also use Menzerna HGAS after every weekly wash, how does Clear Kote (or others) compare? I am just about out of Menzerna products and will be ordering new sealent and detailing spray soon , so I am looking at other possibilities. (I do love the FMJ and HGAS but am always looking for something better) I always polish with Klasse AIO and have plenty of that left.

Thanks for any feed back

Old 06-25-2006, 01:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know the queston was not directed towards me but i thought ide add my 2 cents to this...

ive never used the diamond sealent but i found that FMJ is the best sealent ive used and seen on any car (zaino, meguiars 21...) but i dont really like the HGAS, it is a bit tough to take off and i prefer meguiars last touch, gives me the same shine ontop of FMJ, its cheaoer and easier to use

Old 06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by LIUser
i know the queston was not directed towards me but i thought ide add my 2 cents to this...

ive never used the diamond sealent but i found that FMJ is the best sealent ive used and seen on any car (zaino, meguiars 21...) but i dont really like the HGAS, it is a bit tough to take off and i prefer meguiars last touch, gives me the same shine ontop of FMJ, its cheaoer and easier to use

thanks for the feedback, I also am a big fan and user of FMJ, nothing else I have used comes close. I have never had any problems with the Menzerna High Gloss Acrylic Shield, just spray and wipe, but you are the second person who has mentioned some problem with the HGAS product.

The Blackfire sealant and companion finishing gloss/spray Blackfire product have been rated in the Menzerna catagory (also a German product)...

http://properautocare.com/sypse.html

Old 06-25-2006, 07:20 PM
Concours d'Elegance
I've used just about everything out there sans Werkstatt.

The new Blackfire Wet Diamond is dyed and rebottled Wolfgang Sealant. It's really sad, IMO...I tried them heads up and they look and act identical, just different dyes.

I have also tried FMJ, but the solvent content is way too high for me (can't ship to CA). You should look to the new Zaino Z5 Pro. Recently formulated, it adds more depth, wetness, and fills a little bit of minor marring.

Polished with Menzerna PO106FF, here it is on a couple vehicles...

I think you get the idea .

Old 06-25-2006, 08:52 PM
"The new Blackfire Wet Diamond is dyed and rebottled Wolfgang Sealant. It's really sad, IMO...I tried them heads up and they look and act identical, just different dyes."

so did you did not care for either one or did you just mean they are the same product?

Old 06-25-2006, 09:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Heya; Sean is right, it's just re-bottles. Blackfire, Wolfgang DGS and FMJ all have similar characteristics, very reflective, glossy, makes the clear coat look really thick; but not super deep (very sealant-esque). They'll all get you about 4 months of durabilty. Of the three I like FMJ the best just because it's easy to use and HGAS works well with it. Clearkote doesn't have a sealant, just waxes.

In terms of FMJ vs. the world, if you like it I'd stick with it. It's a great sealant, lasts 4 months or so, HGAS works really well on it. Z5pro is another option; I'd say you will see a difference in the look, FMJ is a little more reflective and glossy, makes the clear coat look super thick whereas Z5pro is like Z2, but deeper and wetter (so less reflective, more like a wax). I don't like either better or worse, just difference. Z5 will likely get you one or two extra months of durabilty.

If you want to try a wax there are a bunch you can try, let me know and I'll try to list some favs.

Last edited by Picus; 06-25-2006 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:17 AM
Concours d'Elegance
Originally Posted by maxpower
"The new Blackfire Wet Diamond is dyed and rebottled Wolfgang Sealant. It's really sad, IMO...I tried them heads up and they look and act identical, just different dyes."

so did you did not care for either one or did you just mean they are the same product?

I think it's sad from a sellers standpoint that you cannot differentiate your products (CMA). However, I never warmed up to these products. They look nice, but durability was in the toilet for BF and WG. FMJ was a bit better, but I was being super gentle with my care, so overall, it's hard to comment.

In the end, Zaino looks great and lasts the longest of anything that's on the market.

Old 06-26-2006, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by picus112
Heya; Sean is right, it's just re-bottles. Blackfire, Wolfgang DGS and FMJ all have similar characteristics, very reflective, glossy, makes the clear coat look really thick; but not super deep (very sealant-esque). They'll all get you about 4 months of durabilty. Of the three I like FMJ the best just because it's easy to use and HGAS works well with it. Clearkote doesn't have a sealant, just waxes.

In terms of FMJ vs. the world, if you like it I'd stick with it. It's a great sealant, lasts 4 months or so, HGAS works really well on it. Z5pro is another option; I'd say you will see a difference in the look, FMJ is a little more reflective and glossy, makes the clear coat look super thick whereas Z5pro is like Z2, but deeper and wetter (so less reflective, more like a wax). I don't like either better or worse, just difference. Z5 will likely get you one or two extra months of durabilty.

If you want to try a wax there are a bunch you can try, let me know and I'll try to list some favs.
Thanks for the reply. I guess in my case durability is not the top priority since I like to wash/wax/detail etc. every weekend (great therapy and hobby ).
FMJ is great to work with but applying 2-3 coats a month is probably overkill.
What waxes would you recommend since I'm more interested in looks than durability. (I use Klasse AIO as my polish) My G35 is Lakestone? Slate, a blue/greyish color.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2006, 01:36 PM
Staff ALUMNI
The first one that comes to mind is poorboys nattys blue. It's inexpensive, looks really good (very wet), and will last 4-6 weeks. I used it on Peter's lakeshore slate G and it looks great. Here are some pics.

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/05g35s042906/

Others worth mentioning are P21S/S100, Cleakore carnauba wax, Meguairs #26 or of course Souveran. I'd definitely give nattys a try though, it's a pleaser.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:26 PM
Originally Posted by picus112
The first one that comes to mind is poorboys nattys blue. It's inexpensive, looks really good (very wet), and will last 4-6 weeks. I used it on Peter's lakeshore slate G and it looks great. Here are some pics.

http://gtaindetail.com/pics/05g35s042906/

Others worth mentioning are P21S/S100, Cleakore carnauba wax, Meguairs #26 or of course Souveran. I'd definitely give nattys a try though, it's a pleaser.

Thanks for your input, I have heard others praise Nattys Blue (and the slate G you detailed looks fantastic BTW) so I think I am going to try it out. Since I live in an area with no winter and can wash/wax my car all year I don't really need the durability of a FMJ type sealant. One last question....what spray protectant/detailer works well with the Nattys, or is one even needed. Once again, I'm going for the best look,not durability.

Thanks again for suggestions.

max

Old 06-26-2006, 10:50 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Well you can always lay down a layer or two of FMJ then put Nattys over it. Best of both worlds - you just can't put a sealant down over a wax.

As for a spray, there are two that come to mind; the first is Optimum Car Wax, it's super easy to use, looks good, gets you 4 weeks+ of durabilty. It'll somewhat mute the wetness of Nattys though. I like it, but it's more of a subtle look.

You could also try Duragloss Aquawax over it (its a spray polymer that'll work over waxes), it's all the rage on autopia atm; looks like most folks like it over a wax but report that it gives a more "sealant-y" look, as in more reflection at the cost of some of the depth.

Alternatively if you're truly not worried about durability and plan on re-natty'ing every few weeks just go with a regula old quick detailer like Clearkote Quikshine, Poorboys Spray and Gloss, FK #425 etc. I use quikshine and love it.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:40 AM
"Alternatively if you're truly not worried about durability and plan on re-natty'ing every few weeks just go with a regula old quick detailer like Clearkote Quikshine, Poorboys Spray and Gloss, FK #425 etc. I use quikshine and love it."

Picus, you like quickshine over FK 425? From other posts I thought 425 was the current QD that was most preferred, both for shine and anti-static benefits. What are the benefits of quickshine that you are seeing over 425?
What's the best QD for black generally and also for G35 Coupe in DG?

Absolutely second your recommendation for nattys blue. Very easy to use, great aroma and mirror-like in shine.

Many thanks for your responses.

Old 06-28-2006, 07:34 AM
Staff ALUMNI
I use qs because I have 3 gallons of it. I like it because it's versatile; I use it to take off polish residue, to buff off waxes/sealants, etc... In terms of looks it and 425 pretty much look the same, and 425 does have some anti-static benefits; either is a good choice.