Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

anybody tried this stuff

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 04:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
anybody tried this stuff

my gf's dad is about to take delivery on his M5 so i was on m5board.com when i saw THIS.... unbelievable detail job: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75987

anybody tried stuff like that on a G?

Old 07-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
It's just a swirl remover to make sure the paint is smooth then topped with a quality wax (in this case P21S), nothing particular spectacular about it. The guy did a nice job, but the results can be duplicated with any number of products. It's the process, not the products. P21S and 3M PI swirl removers have been around for years.

I don't use P21S on black so much anymore since imo there are products that look better and last longer. P21S is a great wax for lighter colored cars though (again, imo).

As for the 3M stuff, same deal; there are other polishes that are probably a little easier to use; for example Poorboys SSRs, Sonus SFX's, Menzerna, etc.

Cheers.

Last edited by Picus; 07-12-2006 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Concours d'Elegance
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pictures aren't *that* impressive.

I love seeing how close-minded people can be:

3M and P21s combo is the BEST...I will put it against ANYTHING!

Back on target, there are plenty of grave options out there. Is your girlfriend's dad's M5 black?

edit: Now that I read further, that guy is a freakin idiot...Money truly doesn't buy brains. He can't type, spell, or put together a logical sentence. RPMS, it's RPM, Mr. M5 "Owner".

Saying 1400 rpm is good for glazes is a rediculous blanket statement...Some glazes shouldn't even be used by machine.

Furthermore, most 3m products have PLENTY of silicone oils in them...So that means, 2-3 washes and hello swirls!

He also calls the Porter Cable "crap" "is only for the man of the home to save time putting on wax"...****, he'd get chewed on a detailing forum.

"It's all about the RPM and heat" ?!?!?!?!?! We are gonna have some angry BMW owners when they burn through the paint or leave nasty holograms.

Last edited by G35stilez; 07-12-2006 at 06:48 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't use P21S on black so much anymore since imo there are products that look better and last longer.

Which products would you recommend...

Old 07-12-2006, 09:03 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Originally Posted by GBoy
I don't use P21S on black so much anymore since imo there are products that look better and last longer.

Which products would you recommend...
It depends on what you're after. If you don't mind re-applying every 4 weeks I''d go with a wax. Here are a couple candidates:

Poorboys Nattys Blue - $20
Clearkote Carnauba - $20
Pinnacle Souveran - $50

If you want more durabilty there are a number of sealants which will likely please you:

Zaino Z5 Pro ~$25
Werkstatt Acrylic Jett $25
Poorboys EX $20

P21S does look good on black, I just like Nattys Blue or Souveran a bit more. Personal opinion. I guess what I was saying is that that guys pictures, while very nice, are nothing most of us detailers haven't seen 1,000 times with a myriad of products. Check my site out, I've got literally 50 pictures of black cars that look similar. A more telling example would be full sun or halogen shots.

Regardless, I am not knocking that guys results, however I think his black and white statements and quite a bit of his advice later in the thread are way off base.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:10 PM
I agree with G35stilez. It is a nice job but it's not AMAZING or out of this world. I get the same results using my own products. His pictures don't truly justify his work because all of them are in the shade! WTH is that?? Come on, be a man and take some pictures in direct sunlight so we can see the condition of the paint and how swirlfree it really is. Your car could be swirled up and you wouldn't even notice them if it was parked under a shade, right?

-twantrd

Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
yeah i have to agree w/ everyone else. that finish is chock full of oils right now. the key word is the glaze. most glazes are little to no abrasive and high in oil content. add to that there is no sealant in there. i wouldnt be surpised if he came back in 3 weeks in that florida sun to find the finish full of buffer marks.

for your gf's dad, you need to look at the color and what you are trying to acheive. after you find out the color search on autopia.org to find out what best to use on your light or dark colored car. people typically look for specific things in their finish. if your goal is the depth demonstrated in your link, look for products high in oil content. there are other things, but it's best that you do your own research and learn for yourself.

Old 07-12-2006, 09:41 PM
Off topic a bit here.

What would you guys recommend for something metallic? Such as diamond graphite? I do like the warm soft glow that a wax can give but then I don't really like to wax every couple of weeks. I know it's mainly preference. So what's yours?

Old 07-12-2006, 10:03 PM
If I can answer for GSRSTilez.....Zaino Z5Pro. I used it on a white hooptie last weekend and the results were unreal! As GSR put it in a post on autopia, it provided a deep, wet, shine with a nice hint of carnuba like warmth. I was really impressed with how much better it was over regular Z5!

If you are really ****. You can use a few coats of Z5pro and then some Z2 pro if you like the sealanty look then after your final coat of Z5 Pro or Z2 pro, depending on when you are satisfied, you can top it with natty's blue or any other carnauba. Just remeber that if you go this route, you will need to strip the carnauba off before applying more Zaino. IMHO, it wouldn't be worth the effort and I would just stick with the Zaino or other synthetic if you are concerned about durability.

Old 07-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Staff ALUMNI
Z5pro and Werkstatt Acrylic Jett are quickly becoming my favorite "all round" products, especially on metallic paints. I like them both because they offer super glossy, wet, reflective shine, but have a depth that previous acrylics didn't have. They also both have spray sealant "boosters" in their line, which is something I really appreciate.

Old 07-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by picus112
It depends on what you're after. If you don't mind re-applying every 4 weeks I''d go with a wax. Here are a couple candidates:

Poorboys Nattys Blue - $20
Clearkote Carnauba - $20
Pinnacle Souveran - $50

Wow, where can you get Souveran for 50? Most places I look are 70... Hook a fellow G owner up!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Staff ALUMNI
$59.99

http://secure.detailedimage.com/Merc...duct_Code=PIN1

There is another for $50.99 but I forget the site name. I'll look on Autopia then post it here.

Old 07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
u can do 56 when pinnaclewax.com has one of their 20% coupons

Old 07-13-2006, 11:02 AM
Concours d'Elegance
Originally Posted by Diesel1
If I can answer for GSRSTilez.....Zaino Z5Pro. I used it on a white hooptie last weekend and the results were unreal! As GSR put it in a post on autopia, it provided a deep, wet, shine with a nice hint of carnuba like warmth. I was really impressed with how much better it was over regular Z5!

If you are really ****. You can use a few coats of Z5pro and then some Z2 pro if you like the sealanty look then after your final coat of Z5 Pro or Z2 pro, depending on when you are satisfied, you can top it with natty's blue or any other carnauba. Just remeber that if you go this route, you will need to strip the carnauba off before applying more Zaino. IMHO, it wouldn't be worth the effort and I would just stick with the Zaino or other synthetic if you are concerned about durability.

You got it .

Z5 Pro - Deep, wet, bit of carnauba softness
Z2 Pro - Harder, shinier, heavily promoting metallic shine

I've found myself alternating between 5 and 2, a lot.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: anybody tried this stuff