Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help.Stains on the paint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2006 | 10:15 AM
|
Help.Stains on the paint

I have stains and spots near the wheel all trimmings on the front and on the bottom of the bumper near the rear wheels. They look brown and I've tried washing them off and they don't come off. Looks like the liquid of the "tire wet" application I use to spray on the tires to give the tires a wet look effect splashed on the paint when I drove away almost immediately after the wash.The chemical is like armoral , but, it's called tire wet.
Now I'm stuck with this ugly brown spotted stains on the paint on the pearl white. Have any idea how to take it off?

Old 07-21-2006 | 10:53 AM
Ever heard of a wax? Or a quick detailer? Use a micro fiber towel apply the wax and viola! No more stain! Quick detailer should also do the work.

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:11 AM
|
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Ever heard of a wax? Or a quick detailer? Use a micro fiber towel apply the wax and viola! No more stain! Quick detailer should also do the work.

Tried wax and it didn't come off. I will try again with a microfiber towel. But it looks like the stains are embedded into the paint somehow. I means I might have to take to a bodyshop to wetsand it.

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:16 AM
i usually wax around the wheel area before i spray the tires just in case incident like urs happens...

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by glennp_1999
Sorry but this is NOT correct. Wax by itself does not remove anything from the surface.

Hopefully what you describe isn't permanent. Tire dressings that contain silicones can stain the painted plastic pieces such as the bumper and the rocker panels. Infiniti actually has a TSB regarding this.

I'm not 100% sure how I would attempt removing the spots. You could possibly try using isopropyl alcohol or an all purpose cleaner (simple green for example) to remove the silicone. Just be aware that using the above items will remove all protection that may be on the paint. You will need at very least to follow up with an AIO (cleaner/wax combination).

You also should have posted this to the care and detailing section of the forums. Hopefully one of the very experienced detailers that we have around here will chime in to help you further with the issue.

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:24 AM
claybar or something like 3M paint cleaner

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:26 AM
i swear by gasoline on everything hahaha just get a cloth take some gas and rub it...it wont take the paint off or anything i have used it 100s of times..just be sure you wipe it over with water to make sure all the gas is off the paint when your done. It should do the trick though!

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:27 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by Soopa G
claybar or something like 3M paint cleaner
+^1 or Bug and Tar Removed.
I say your chances are greater with a claybar

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:30 AM
Premier Member
did ur neighbor...just refinihs his house or fence while ur car was parked near his house like down wind...my boss had that happen and his insurance paid for his whole car to be re painted...=0)gas or prep salt is good...and he's right wont hurt ur aint..as u have clearcoat on ur car...

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:46 AM
|
Originally Posted by Glex25
+^1 or Bug and Tar Removed.
I say your chances are greater with a claybar
I will try gasoline. If that doesn't work, I will try claybar, but, never heard of it. Where can I buy it?

Old 07-21-2006 | 11:53 AM
Administrator
Autozone, RS Strauss any auto store sould carry claybar.
I claybar my car twice a year.
So its good to have if your into detailing your own ride

Old 07-21-2006 | 01:57 PM
Premier Member
claybar should be ur last resort..i owuld nvr clay my car unless i had to..not good for ur paint..as it activates fisheyes when u repaint ur car..and that doesn look nice...little holes sunken in on ur paint like dimples

silicone does that same to ur paint..so dont usa anythign with silicone in it to wash ur car

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:18 PM
Canada, eh?
Premier Member
Originally Posted by Scootch
claybar should be ur last resort..i owuld nvr clay my car unless i had to..not good for ur paint..as it activates fisheyes when u repaint ur car..and that doesn look nice...little holes sunken in on ur paint like dimples

You should claybar your car as it is in fact GOOD for your car. It removes all the impurities in your paint, even things you cannot see but can feel. It is in no way shape or form BAD for your car unless maybe you did it like every day.

Old 07-21-2006 | 02:28 PM
Clay = Good, most people recommend you clay your car twice a year at most, but with newer clays coming out that are less abreshive, you can pretty much clay once a month. Go with the clay route first. As for the s[ray on tire shine stuff, you should read the package, most say they are not for painted wheels. I had some spray on foam shine from megs, so to not waste it I apply it to a towel, then to my tires.

Last edited by (>")> G35; 07-21-2006 at 02:31 PM.
Old 07-21-2006 | 02:41 PM
Originally Posted by Scootch

silicone does that same to ur paint..so dont usa anythign with silicone in it to wash ur car
You don't know what you are talking about.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help.Stains on the paint