Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

black paint rebirth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when clear corners get put in

Old 08-12-2006, 02:16 AM
great job bro, the results speak for themselves

Old 08-21-2006, 02:41 AM
HOLY ****! That's what I need to do. My black coupe is not as bad as yours was before you did all this work, but I can't tackle it alone. I gotta find a G buddy that lives near me to team up with.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
WOW!!!!!

Exellent work!

Black coupes are just the bomb...
only if you know how to do car wash

Old 06-10-2008, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Received 75 Likes on 31 Posts
Bumping it up for the guys getting their cars ready for HIN

Old 06-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts
nice work.. how long did this last? how often do you do it?

Old 06-25-2008, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LIUser
ive been told the nxt wax may be stripping off your sealent that u put on, as it did to my menzerna fmj... =(

but overall well done!!!
NXT is actually a sealant. It has some light cleaning abilities. If NXT cleaned off your FMJ, it replaced it with another sealant: NXT.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by Glex25
Yes NXT Tech Wax works good as a FILLER. If you really want to remove your scratches and swirls instead of hiding it then doing the proper prep is necessary. I tried starting off with a medium cut with Swirl Remover tried working with that for a good 30 minutes on the hood alone but just wasn't doing the job. I didn't want to resort to compound but I had no choice. There are scratches that do not show in the pictures that could only have been removed by wetsanding since they were pretty deep. I minised them to the point where they were barely noticeable with the compound followed that with swirl remover to minise swirls made by using compound. I don't know how the previous owner washed the ride but it might as well have been a scratch and wash thats how bad the car was.

The detailing came out great. I would say 300% better than what it was but by no means perfect. If the car had the proper care from the start alot of what was going on with the paint could have been avoided or minised to the point that it didn't need to go the extreme.

Just a little food for thought for those that care about their ride and want it looking their best for the rest of its life.

I'm glad I had this opportunity to work on a car that showed all its defects which made it easier for me to react to them. My car being DG it tends to hide defects better. It was a great learning experience and im glad that the owner is happy with the results.

Next weekend im tackling my car i got minor scratches that are not visible to the naked eye unless you know where your looking. Yes I'm **** when it comes to cars but is there any other way to be
Damn you guys did some awesome work. The back of the car is where you notice it the most I think. I just bought my first G and my first black car. It's definitly not nearly as bad as this one but I liked the turnout here.

Usually I'll just wash, clay bar, meguirs #2 polish and then some Platinum TW. When I first got it it was pretty filthy, clay bar bailed me out. I've tried the ICE WAX by TW and it seems to hide a lot more being synthetic. But I'm going to invest in a Porter Cable now I think..

Think you might wanna come for a vacation up to Ontario for a weekend? Free food and stay!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by g'dup13
5th step compound car with Heavy duty Polishing compound with Porter cable and Yellow pad
I know this is an old thread, but does anyone know what kind of Cutting Polish he used or would use in this step? My black G looks like this and I would like to attempt getting all the right equipment/pads/polishers/glaze/sealant/wax for my car.

What do you some of you guys use to restore your black paint?

Old 11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by KapVu

I use a good detailer

Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by KapVu

Good products.

http://www.mygfrenzy.com/reviews/sho...4/limit/recent

Read this review I did.. it lists all my steps. My car is black, and really it gets so dirty 3 days after a wash its a pain but it looks so good when clean its worth it. Id love to use zymol wax every time but its so expensive. Blackfire and menzerma stuff is awesome. Id reccomend getting some Zymol HD cleanse for a quick detail job. Wash, clay, HD cleanse, then wax. HD really moisturizes the paint for a soft feel and wet look.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Also, Dawn scares me. I use the Blackfire High Gloss Shampoo wash.

Old 11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Thanks chord42. I'll check those products out and read up on them. Anyone else have any suggestions? I was hoping to stick with Meguiar's Products, mabe the NXT products?

Old 11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
No disrespect to the OP - You did a great job with this detail. The car looks awesome.

I just wanted to provide some input on your process. Virtually every product you used is simply "filling" in the paint imperfections.

Granted, your compound and yellow pad combo is for correction, and apparently worked great. But after that, the Megs #9, #7, and NXT are filling products.

My "go to" process for correcting my G's paint is to use Menzerna IP with an orange LC pad (much less aggressive than the compound/yellow pad combo that you used). After that, I will go over the car again with Menzerna finishing polish and a white LC pad. The reason for the second polish is that the original aggressive pad/polish combo left slight hazing and buffer swirls. These are very minute, and almost indistinguishable in normal lighting. But under 500w lights, you can see it pretty clearly. The final polish obliterates this and leaves the paint so shiny, glossy, and deep.

Here's a pic of my G before I polished

And here's the pic of the finish after using Menzerna IP and an orange pad.

Here's the side by side

Now here's a 50/50 pic after the second polishing. The left side has been polished a second time with Menzerna FP and a white pad. The right side is just Menzerna IP and orange pad. You can see a distinct difference in the gloss of the paint.

And here's some pics of the finished product

As I said, there is no disrespect intended to the OP. You did a phenominal job on your car. I just wanted to provide some input because I'm afraid you are going to have to do all that hard work over again when all the fillers wear off. IMO it's better to fix it once and for all.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
noob to detaling, but will follow these steps for my detail.

do you move the porter cable in a clockwise circular motion or does it matter, does it leave circular pattern marks from the motion after?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: black paint rebirth